Sudden S3 Problems

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by remshard, Aug 18, 2007.

1. remshard

remshard New Member

May 31, 2007
    Reading this forum for six months I thought I had the best S3 in circulation - until yesterday.

Suddenly, severe pixelization set in on all Digital Cable channels. I went from zero pixelization to unviewable stations in one day.

Additionally, some HD subscription channels are now blank screens, however, when S3 records these blank screen channels, there is a picture in the recording, albeit with pixelization.

My digital OTA channels, which I also run through TIVO, are perfect. It's just a digital cable issue.

I've done all the obvious such as checking connections, rebooting TIVO, etc.

Are there any other suggestions?

Thanks so much!

2. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    Certainly sounds like an issue with the signal strength from the cable company. Any changes there recently?

Is it only digital channels? If analog (basic cable) problems also, try connecting the coax cable directly to the TV and see if it persists. If so, it is cbale strength problem.

If digital only, are any neighbors having similar problems?

You could try to pop the cablecards out, and reset them to see if that helps.

If all else fails it's probably time to call cable company and have your lines checked.

3. SAH2

SAH2 New Member

Apr 1, 2007
    I had posted this in the S3 pixelation thread. I just started having the same problem:

I have had my S3 since April, and am using it with basic cable ( clear QAM) and OTA - no cablecards.

Tonight, for the first time, I started getting macroblocking/pixelation on clear QAM ABC HD. The problem was only on the TIVO and not with the feed from the cable.

To verify this, I switched input on the TV from Input 5 ( HDMI-1 the Tivo) to TV (cable). This uses the same basic cable feed that goes into the Tivo. No pixelation on the same channel. (I also verified this by turning on an older TV in the same room that is used as a monitor for the DVD recorder. I set that to monitor the picture from the Tivo out of the S-video out. So, at the same time I could watch both the Tivo and the TV (using cable). I could see the macroblocking occuring on the Tivo feed, but not on the TV)

Since nothing has changed in my setup, and I have not had any pixelation issues with the cable feed in the past, and the TV has no problems with the same feed, what can I do to troubleshoot this. The pixelation was so bad I could not watch

Could I have somehow received an update from Tivo. My sw is 8.3.1-01-2-648

Thanks

4. remshard

remshard New Member

May 31, 2007
    I think it's a problem with cable. Mine suddenly cleared after the signal went out completely a couple of times... I did remove and reset the cable cards and ran guided setup, but I think that was a coincidence. My HD subscription channels aren't working, but that should be an easy fix. The pixelization scared me to death.

I am in Columbus Ohio and have Insight as my cable provider.

5. megazone

megazone Hardcore TiVo Geek

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    No, that's been out for a long time now and there haven't been any updates for the S3 recently.