Sudden Premiere Problems - HDMI and Skipping

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Scott9mm, Jul 1, 2015.

1. Scott9mm

Scott9mm Active Member

Apr 4, 2015
    Rural NC

Advertisements

I bought an upgraded (2T) lifetime Premiere on eBay and it worked fine for almost three months. Then suddenly last Sat evening the HDMI interface quit working (indicated HDCP issue). So I switched to analog cables, which worked OK. I later reconnected my old S3HD TiVo and it's HDMI output works fine with the same setup.

Then on Sunday it started skipping ahead about every 10 sec during replay of all recorded programs. In other words, during replay a recorded program it will suddenly jump ahead, skipping over several seconds of program, about every 10 sec. I subsequently found it only does this after the box has warmed up. In other words, the cold box will play fine for a period (maybe an hour) right after startup if the box was unplugged for a half hour or more. So it acts like a thermal issue, likely a circuit board solder joint or capacitor.

By the way, it still records fine and I can transfer unprotected files to my PC where they play fine.

Questions: What are my repair options? Is there any available technical data (e.g. schematics, system block diagram, etc.) I can use to try to fix it myself.

2. timhbtr53

timhbtr53 Grumpy Old Man

Apr 24, 2014
    In the Deep...

I'm going to ask a dumb one but did you check the fan? I had a fan that was not up normal speed and I had some funky stuff going on. Try from a cold boot look at the temp in system info and let it run for a hour then recheck the temp if it's jumped up more then 10 degrees I would replace the fan or lube it. I have been thinking about taking the heat sink off my S3 and putting a CPU fan on it. Just a idea and I wish we could get some schematics on all the series...

3. Scott9mm

Scott9mm Active Member

Apr 4, 2015
    Rural NC
    Thanks for the thoughts. I don't have the Premiere connected to a TV right now but when I had the problem the main board temp (MBT) was only 41C and the fan ran fine; so I don't think it is a simple over-temp problem. My old HD routinely runs fine at 49C.

Speaking of my old S3HD (which was still running fine with the original/small hard drive), I bought and installed a 2T drive from DVRupgrade; but the new drive/software had a few issues: the Netflix "buttons" didn't work, I could not access the S3 from TiVo.com, and the cable card would not pair. After a kickstart 57 (which ran a LONG time) all three of these problems went away

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  4. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Call Tivo and see what they offer.

5. Scott9mm

Scott9mm Active Member

Apr 4, 2015
    Rural NC

Advertisements

Maybe timhbtr53 was on the right track. The temp in my regular AV cabinet runs several degrees above room temp (and it is summer). I moved the Premiere to my study where it has good access to cooler air; now the MBT is running 37-39 degrees (was 41 before) and the "skipping" problem (where replay jumps ahead several seconds anout every 10 seconds) has gone away, so far. The case fan is spinning but maybe not fast enough and I read there is no third wire; so the motherboard does not know how fast (or even if) the fan is turning. So maybe the skipping is fan related. The HDMI output still isn't working but analog output audio and video seems to be OK now.

I ordered a replacement power supply off ebay so I'll try that when it arrives. The power supply output voltages look OK with the case open but maybe one or more of the outputs gets noisy or fails when it gets hot enough. So swapping the power supply is just a stab in the dark.

Does anyone has information on the power supply outputs? Specifically, is there an output that feeds the HDMI function.

Would other Premiere owners compare MBT values? This may help show if my fan is the root problem. My MBT is 37-39 when the Tivo is working right and 41 or so when I saw playback problems.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
  6. Scott9mm

Scott9mm Active Member

Apr 4, 2015
    Rural NC
    To close the loop on this thread, after video output on my old S3 died (both analog and HDMI) I put the Premiere/S4 back into service. So far, It's running fine (no skipping). I had replaced the power supply in the S4 so I suspect the skipping problem was caused by excess ripple in the original power supply, which got worse with heat.

The HDMI output on the S4 Premiere is still toast. At first, I used a cheapie (like $20 eBay) component-to-HDMI converter box. At this point, I'm fairly convinced that my AV receiver is responsible for killing the HDMI ports on three TiVos, including a Roamio Plus that I'm using now. So now, I'm running TiVo component video (from the Roamio) direct to back of the TV, which will works fine and will probably be the final configuration.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2016