1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Succession (HBO) entire season thread *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by astrohip, Jun 10, 2018.

1. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston &...
    Succession is a new series on HBO. It premiered last week, after Westworld. From wiki:

Succession is an American drama television series about a dysfunctional American global-media family that premiered on June 3, 2018 on HBO. It was created by Jesse Armstrong with Will Ferrell and Adam McKay serving as executive producers.

There are obvious comparisons to the Murdoch family. Older patriarch (Brian Cox), younger siblings competing for control, with varying degrees of actual ability to run anything. I read a review that compares them, tongue-in-cheek, to the Bluth family without the humor. Not a bad parallel.

I have mixed feelings after the premier. Almost all the characters are @ssholes, to each other and to non-1%ers. It's really hard to care about any of them. But the acting is good, and by the end of E1, you could see a glimmer of potential in the story line. I'll keep watching, and see what it becomes.

My fear is HBO's commitment to this series. I saw very little promotion, and no one I know is watching it. Combine that with an E1 that doesn't grab you by the 'nads, and I wonder if it's long for the world.

Anyone catch this?

2. markymark_ctown

markymark_ctown Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2004
    C-Town
    I saw an article in the paper about the show last Sunday. Got good reviews so I was planning to watch after a few episodes aired....and more reviews rolled in.

3. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I'm not sure what to make of it at this point. Lucky for them it's a summer show with not much competition, so I don't have to be brutal in cutting shows to make room for others...

4. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    Maybe it was just me, but I got bored during S01, E01 and ditched. I guess it needed to be more for me, as there are so many other shows I watch.

So, Murphy's Law would have it that, since I ditched the show, it will probably end up being good. You're Welcome! :D

Tony_T and super dave like this.
  5. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    i watched the first ep last night, and it sparked enough interest to merit watching tonight, but as with most new series, the 1p will stay on a short leash unless it picks up the pace quickly, it's too easy to watch later on hbo go.

6. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    I saw a decent amount of promotion (I only watch via HBO Now and there's usually a promo for some other HBO show before an episode begins).

I was pretty sure I wouldn't be thrilled by this. "Rich people behaving badly" is just not my kind of show. I don't enjoy Billions, etc. either. However my wife wanted to watch so we watched E01. It was a little more interesting than I expected but I still probably won't watch more unless pressed into it.

7. mlsnyc

mlsnyc Active Member TCF Club

Dec 2, 2009
    I was curious about this show and watched the first episode. It was okay enough for me to keep going but I can see this getting tired quick. While I don't need a show to have someone likable or someone you'd root for, this show makes it a point to make every character loathsome, and not just the main ones. I'll see if that was just the first episode laying the groundwork or if it's essentially the same tune the whole series.

8. Martha

Martha Member

Oct 6, 2002
    South Carolina
    I agree with you completely, except I thought the goofy tall kid was fairly likeable.

9. mlsnyc

Dec 2, 2009
    Yeah he only came off as nebbishy in the first episode. But I have a feeling he's going to wind up being cutthroat like the others. He already hinted he's willing to sell out his dad so his uncle will help him get his career back on track.

10. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Well, he may try, but all he has in his arsenal is a butter knife...

Is that "Gangsta Paradise" that forms the foundation for the soundtrack?

tlc likes this.
  11. astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston &...
    Ok, E2 in the can. I'm liking the family drama more, and even some of the douchebagginess is tolerable. But there's a shadow of satire that follows everything, and I don't like it. This has the potential to be a really interesting drama, but if it goes satire, it just becomes a cartoon to me. I can see why one reviewer said they keep getting whiffs of Bluth. The problem is those droppings fall in the middle of a drama.

But I thought it was good enough to keep me watching. Although the opening scenes, where Roman was playing a db-extraordinaire to the hospital staff--I almost pulled the plug right then.

Confused. Do you mean his granddad and great uncle?

12. mlsnyc

Dec 2, 2009
    Whoops. You are correct on both counts. I was confused and meant granddad and great uncle.

13. gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da boogie...
    One and done for me. Hate shows (like Billions) where no one is likeable.

14. mlsnyc

Dec 2, 2009
    Well I didn't say he'd be good at being cutthroat. Though it won't surprise me that he'll turn out to be just as backstabby as the rest of them.

15. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I suspect, however, his backstabbery will be this show's equivalent of comic relief...

16. mlsnyc

Dec 2, 2009
    No doubt. Most likely a "power struggle" between him and the ass-kissing son-in-law.

17. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    it's almost as if this series is trying really hard at times to morph from a drama into a black comedy, but just keeps missing the mark.

18. gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da boogie...
    The same could be said of Barry in reverse. But IMO it worked out for Barry.

19. astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston &...
    Sadly, this means nothing any more. Not even to HBO. Was it Luck or Vinyl that was renewed, then dropped?

I'm watching because it's still interesting to watch. I think I'm past caring whether a show is renewed in my watch/don't watch decision matrix. Cancelling a show can affect the decision, but renewal doesn't.

I think. :rolleyes:

realityboy likes this.