Success with Charter Cable Card

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by mrrandy, Nov 5, 2011.

1. mrrandy

mrrandy New Member

Jan 29, 2005
    Chattanooga,...
    After a week of trying, my Cable Card is working with Charter.

After 3 calls and 1 chat session with no luck, we had a truck come by today. The technician spent 4 hours rewiring inside the house, playing with a tuning adapter (which has not been rolled out in my area yet and should not be needed), and trying 2 different Cable Cards in addition to the card I already had installed. He had done everything he knew to do and blamed Tivo.

I then called Tivo for help. After walking through a few diagnostic screens, Tivo determined that we had a signal quality issue and blamed Charter for the problem. With this bit of information, the technician went out a dropped new wire from the pole to the house, which made an entire run of new wire, new junctions, and new splitters all the way from the pole to the house. Of course, this did not help.

Finally, the technician determined that I had a bad Tivo. In desperation, I made yet another call to Tivo, this time getting a different person. This time, we looked and some different diagnostic screens and determined that the card was not paired completely. Apparently Tivo's require an additional step in pairing the card with the equipment. The technician was able to explain this to his office, who programmed the card again, and now everything is working great.

In summary, I think it is wise to get Tivo involved early in the process. Sometimes they are right, and sometimes wrong, but I think they have a deeper knowledge than the cable companies about how the Cable Card works in the Tivo. Regardless of anyone's initial conclusions, you probably don't have a bad Tivo, bad wiring, or bad Cable Card, and certainly not multiple bad Cable Cards.

2. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    So basically it was the fault of Charter Cable. This sort of thing happens to me all the time with Charter. Most of the time I know more about what's wrong then their tech's do.

3. Stuxnet

Stuxnet Alien Infidel

Feb 8, 2011
    What worked for me was finding a Charter Tech who had a TiVo.... never hurts to ask...

4. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    TiVos do not require an extra step. The tech just doesn't know how to initialize and then authorize the card. All cablecard devices require this, not just the TiVo. My guess is they just initialized the card and didn't authorize it.

5. Soapm

Soapm Active Member

May 9, 2007
    Aurora, CO
    So basically the guy doing the activations wasn't doing a complete job. I am sure they were taught how to activate Tivo's and other common devices during training but not everyone pays attention to the entire class. They get the basics down then expect a raise at the end of the year...