Subscriptions - will this work?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by nycityuser, Jul 17, 2009.

1. nycityuser

nycityuser Member

Dec 30, 2004
    New York, NY

Advertisements

I've gone through many TIVO units over the years, from one-tuner S2s to two-tuner S2s to HDs. Consequently, I'm hesitant to commit to lifetime on any given unit because I've only used one machine for 3 or more years.

Anyway, I have a 3-year prepay coming due and want to re-configure my 3 TIVO subscriptions the best way. I want to keep two at $6.95/month because that is a great deal. Currently I have:

Series 2 - 3-year prepay coming due
    TIVO HD - $6.95/month
    TIVO HD - $6.95/month

I also have a $100 gift card for a new activation. I believe I could achieve a "new" activation in this way: Transfer the Series 2 subscription to one of my old unused TIVO units. Activate as "new" the Series 2 I'm now using and apply the gift card. Then cancel the service on the machine I transferred to when the subscription ends next week. Will this work?

If I did want to do lifetime on one of the TIVO HDs I'd have to do an extra step. I'd transfer the Series 2 subscription to an old unused unit. Then I'd transfer one of the $6.95 subscriptions to the Series 2. Then I would activate as "new" the TIVO HD whose service had been transferred to the Series 2 and take lifetime for $299 (less the $100 gift card). And finally, I'd cancel service on the old unused unit. Would this work?

The TIVO HD on which I would go lifetime has an expanded hard drive with about 110 hours of HD capacity. It was purchased last September. Does it make sense to go lifetime on a unit that is almost a year old? Otherwise I could just do one year at $99 (less $100 gift card, or free), again as a "new" activation under the multi discount.

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    I believe that if you move the subs around, it would cause Tivo to go 'hmm, what's going on here' and re-adjust the MSD, making your MSD go to 9.95.

If you go to My Account, you should see that the Tivos have a commitment time remaining (up to a year), even though they are just on monthly. If you select Lifetime, it will not take effect until September on that 1 Tivo you noted.

Besides, to move subscriptions around, you need to call Tivo CSR.

3. nycityuser

nycityuser Member

Dec 30, 2004
    New York, NY
    No, I've moved subscriptions around online with no problem. Both of my $6.95 subscriptions that are now on HD units were previously on Series 2 units. The ability to move subscriptions to other units is a big advantage of not going lifetime. And both of the $6.95 subscriptions have no commitment time remaining. The subscriptions were originally started in 2004.

4. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    In that case, you can move the up-coming expiring sub to the THD and select lifetime, then it will just change over when the old sub expire.

Only lifetime you cannot move around because its locked to the original box. It took Tivo 2 months to move my lifetime from a series 1 to the current THD.

5. newskilz

newskilz New Member

Jul 11, 2008

Advertisements

This is how I understand it from what others have said on this board.

Sounds like your series 2 is your qualifying box currently for the discontinued MSD of $6.95/month. You should be able to upgrade that to lifetime at full price and it _should_ still show as the oldest tivo (call tivo to see if it would reset your activation date). If you lose that series 2 subscription (or it gets "started" over when you buy lifetime) your two MSD rates will go up to $9.95/month. I agree, it's better to keep the MSD rate of $6/95/month than to buy lifetime; in 41+ months time, you will probably want to transfer again to another box.

So in other words, whichever is your oldest service subscription you do NOT want to lose that subscription if you want to keep your $6.95 MSD rate!!! It sounds like you are wanting to cancel that service after you lifetime something, that will change your rates!

So if you must use your $100 card... get another box :) It almost sounds like you would be better off, if you are only wanting those three boxes you mentioned, to just sell that $100 card if indeed it is towards NEW activation only. I say that because you don't want to put a new activation on your S2 after removing the oldest sub to another box and then canceling that other box which now has the oldest sub (that would null your special MSD rates), and you can't put it on either MSD box, because then you'd lose the special rate that way too. Again, this is only if the card is good for new activation only.

Personally the options I see for the $100 gift card are: Acivate a new box or sell the card. What do others think?

6. nycityuser

nycityuser Member

Dec 30, 2004
    New York, NY
    Wow, that changes everything. So you're saying that I'm only grandfathered into the $6.95 rate as long as I maintain the qualifying subscription that originally existed when I got that multi-service discount? Really?!

Well, I definitely do not want to purchase lifetime on an S2 box that is three years old.

I'll figure out what I want to do based on this new info.

7. CrispyCritter

CrispyCritter Purple Ribbon Wearer

Feb 28, 2001
    North...
    Not quite, but close. The box of yours with the oldest subscription will be the qualifying sub for your other boxes, and the qualifying sub does not get a MSD. If you just dropped your S2 sub, presumably one of your $6.95 subs would become your oldest sub, and you'd have to start paying full price on it. However, you would still have your other $6.95 MSD sub.

The way the rules are worded, the only way you can keep the two $6.95 subs is to make sure there is an older sub that you are paying a non-MSD price for. I don't know whether TiVo reps have any flexibility in altering those rules for you.

I don't see any way of using your gift card and maintaining the two $6.95 subs while ending up with only 3 TiVo subs. (I'm not sure you can even use it for lifetime on the S2 - I don't know whether the sub date gets reset for a lifetime sub; I suspect it does)

8. newskilz

newskilz New Member

Jul 11, 2008
    Well, that is how I understand it anyway. Because the special $6.95 rate is no longer available, canceling the original qualifying sub will nullify your grandfathered rate, because when switching to another sub being the qualifying box, it will revert any other boxes with MSD rates to the then current discount price;which is $9.95/month. That is how I understand it and was explained somewhere in TiVo's small print... but cannot locate at the moment.

I can understand not wanting to lifetime the S2, so that's why I said what I thought your options were. I know I wouldn't take the chance, I want to keep my special rate as long as I can too. You might be able to call Tivo and get them to point you to the service agreement part that would pertain to the grandfathered rates and how you can keep them or lose them. (I can only find current MSD info).

9. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    If you go online and choose the option for a Tivo to go to lifetime after it's current period ends, or call in and have them just roll the sub into a lifetime, the subscription start date stays. In order to use a gift card, you can't do that. You have to cancel the current sub and start a new one, so of course the start date on the sub is reset.

10. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    I had the lifetime for my S1 since year 2000 and even after it was transferred to the THD, the 2000 date remained.

11. nycityuser

nycityuser Member

Dec 30, 2004
    New York, NY
    Well, I called TIVO and discussed this with them. The customer service person did not know what tricks could be pulled but he suggested that I call the cancellation/retention department. He felt that they could make it work and, in particular, accept the gift card.

So I called the cancellation folks. They were nice but could not really do anything. And the guy seemed unsure of the rules after each question I asked. He had to put me on hold one time to check. In the end he could not do anything I asked for, including use the gift card.

Basically I have to keep the current full-price contract active in order to maintain the $6.95 price on the other two. One of the choices I am offered on the renewal of that contract is another 3 year commitment for $299, or $8.31 per month. That sounds good enough for me. If I acquire a different unit during those 3 years I can transfer the service number to this contract and not lose anything like I would with lifetime service. And $22.21/month for 3 TIVOs is what I have been paying and is fine.

By the way, the first customer service guy gave me interesting info. He said that any TIVO machine that is out of warranty and broken can be exchanged for a new one for $150. For TIVO HDXL machines that is a great deal. Further, if lifetime service had been purchased within 3 years of such an exchange, lifetime comes with the new box at no additional charge. Otherwise the cost to transfer lifetime service is $199.

12. newskilz

newskilz New Member

Jul 11, 2008
    Sounds like your best bet, though that doesn't help with the gift card. You should be able to sell it for 75% of value and get something out of it.

Hmm, sounds a little fishy. Last I knew, any tivo could be exchanged for a similar machine for $150, no upgrades. Plus the lifetime bit sounds about right, but I think they charge something between the 1-3 year mark, but can't recall if that is the case now or not, since they have recently (6 months or so) changed how they handled that.

As long as it works for you!!!

13. nycityuser

nycityuser Member

Dec 30, 2004
    New York, NY
    I was not trying to imply anything different. What I meant is that if you purchase a TIVO HDXL and it breaks after a few years you can get another new HDXL for only $150.

14. newskilz

newskilz New Member

Jul 11, 2008
    That's ok, I was just trying to clarify since it wasn't stated clearly in my mind. Or that is what I was trying to do. Granted paying an additional $150 may not sit well with some, but much better than paying full price.