Subscriptions. Does dropping some help the forum?

Discussion in 'Forum Operations Center' started by terpfan1980, Jul 11, 2007.

1. terpfan1980

terpfan1980 It's Just TV TCF Club

Jan 28, 2002
    Xbox Live:...

Advertisements

Hopefully not a stupid question -- what I'm asking is if it helps speed up things at all to go through my subscriptions folder and drop subs to threads that are old and shouldn't be getting updated any more?

For example, Xbox 360 threads in Happy Hour - should I drop subscriptions to as many of the older threads as possible and if so, does it help make things easier on the processing that sends out the daily e-mail notifications of subscribed threads?

2. David Bott

David Bott Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Jan 1, 1999
    Hi...

The hot the server takes with subscriptions only happens when a notice has to be sent out to a large list. Other than that, it really does not even look at a given subscriber list unless the thread has been posted to. Your user ID is stored in that last any each thread that has a subscription.

If you are the only person subscribed, then yes, it could help for it would remove that thread from the subscription table. As long as one person is subscribed to a thread, it will still be part of the list. (Did that help? :))

3. murgatroyd

murgatroyd Don't stop believin'

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    Is there any way a user can tell how many people (not who, just how many people) are subscribed to a certain thread?

Most (but not all) of my subs are 'no email notification' -- if I recall correctly, the only one I have on daily notification is the Season Pass Alerts sub.

Jan

4. David Bott

David Bott Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Jan 1, 1999
    Sorry, I actually can not even see that. :)

5. murgatroyd

murgatroyd Don't stop believin'

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA

Advertisements

I guess that's a good thing -- if we users could see it, it would start a contest (whose threads had the most subscriptions).

Pity the admins can't tell, however.

Jan