Subscribe with no commitment

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by scandia101, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Nov 7, 2011 #1 of 21
    scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    When did Tivo stop requiring a 12 month commitment on all activations?
    I've been thinking about subbing my recently acquired used TiVo HD and decided to do it online today. When I got to the choose your service plan section the first option was:
    $9.95 / Service only, No Commit, Monthly
    No Commit? What does that mean? so I clicked on details and got the following

[​IMG]

2. Nov 7, 2011 #2 of 21
    unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Don't know when, but I activated an HD about 2 days ago myself and noticed the same thing.

This makes it more attractive to acquire and experiment.

3. Nov 7, 2011 #3 of 21
    Soapm

Soapm Active Member

May 9, 2007
    Aurora, CO
    But seeing you own the device, you'll either subscribe it or use it as a doorstop.

4. Nov 7, 2011 #4 of 21
    steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    I think it started when TiVo did their price restructuring when they upped the sub price for the Premiere.
    IIRC, with the Premieres, there is still a 1 yr commitment.
    I figure since TiVo is no longer actively developing the software for S3 and earlier models, they didn't feel it warranted a commitment period.

5. Nov 7, 2011 #5 of 21
    unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    But this way I can subscribe it without being committed to a full year of payments, so I could sell it on or use it for parts without paying for 11 months of service I'm not getting.

6. Nov 7, 2011 #6 of 21
    aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    When I activated my Elite a month ago they also had the no commitment option.

7. Nov 7, 2011 #7 of 21
    unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    On the Elite?

8. Nov 7, 2011 #8 of 21
    Soapm

Soapm Active Member

May 9, 2007
    Aurora, CO
    I guess I see it differently, no contract is an attractor but what do they lose? You won't use it for parts as long as it works ok and you're more likely to leave it active past the 30 day money back without an agreement. They'll try to get a $100 from you if you try to cancel so the way I see it it's a no lose for Tivo.

9. Nov 7, 2011 #9 of 21
    unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If I understand correctly, you don't. Understand, that is.

When I subbed an S2 DT in May of 2010, I put myself on the hook for a year of payments at $9.95 per month (I've got 2 lifetimed S1s, so that's the MSD), even if a month later I sold it, gave it away, had it catch fire, or just unplugged it and stuck it in the attic.

When I subbed another S2 DT in November of 2010 I put myself on the hook for a year of payments on it as well.

When I subbed an S3 HD a couple of days ago, I paid $9.95 up front for the first month, but if I no longer need or want service on it I'm not obligated to give them another penny on it.

If I cancel it they can ask for $100 all they want, or for that matter a million bucks, or a pony, or a new car, or a steak dinner, but they have no legal or moral right to it, and I have no legal or moral obligation to provide it.

10. Soapm

Soapm Active Member

May 9, 2007
    Aurora, CO
    Are you still using the box? Is it because you were on the hook for year or because, well, you're using the box?

Are you still using the box? If so then with or without commitment you're still using the box.

You saying you wouldn't take the $99 lifetime deal? You're in a minority with that attitude. Most of us would take it... Heck, I'd take yours.

I understand about having customers committed and if there were lot of competitors competing for your business then they'd do good to lock you in. As it stands we use Tivo because we're Tivo users. Sure, we can get the cable providers DVR and there are other options but still we spend big bucks on Tivo's because we like Tivo...

Now what better way to get new customers to give you a try than to tell them they can leave at any time? You have to admit Tivo is kind of addictive, now many people leave once they get exposed to Tivo.

11. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    You didn't say anything about that $100 being for the lifetime deal.

Since I don't have any non-lifetimed boxes that I've had in service for 3 years or more, they aren't going to be offering me the $99 lifetime deal anyway.

12. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    I noticed the no commitment deal some time ago when I just put my unsubscribed TiVoHD in to see what offers were available. I didn't subscribe but if subscribing for a month then calling to cancel would result in the $99 TiVo offer, I would sure do it. I couldn't image that would work.

13. lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    Ok, I'm not seeing where this all happens on the Tivo website. The only place I see to add a DVR to my account is "Activate a new DVR" but that won't work for an older unit. Can someone steer me to the right page/link?

14. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Under ''My Account'' look to the left hand side in the black colored area.
    You should see "Activate a TiVo DVR".

15. lillevig

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    I get the same answer as when I click on "Activate a new DVR". It tells me that this service number has already been activated. The Tivo System Info tells me that the account is closed so there is no current subscription. Isn't this the same situation for everyone else here who is punching in the number for an older Tivo? That is, the Tivo had been activated on some previous occasion but the account is currently closed.

16. Soapm

Soapm Active Member

May 9, 2007
    Aurora, CO
    If you decide to sub a premier, subscribe the TivoHD first then cancel the HD when you activate the premier. It worked for me YMMV...

17. lillevig

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    I'm still trying to figure out how to get to that offer. The only places I see to subscribe want to know what TSN to activate and then I get the message that this Tivo has already been activated. Weren't your older Tivos previously activated but currently displaying "Account CLosed" on the System Info page? That's the situation I have.

18. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    If you are getting the TSN from the label on the back of the Tivo, check to see that it matches the TSN displayed on the system information screen. If they don't match you need to use the TSN from the system info screen.
    You may have to call Tivo to find out what the issue is.

19. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    After I got the power supply working on that HD I fired it up and it started in guided setup, hooked it up to my router, gave it my zip code, etc.

Eventually it got to the point of being set up and able to change channels but of course it kept telling me the account was closed and that I needed a subscription. And the sysinfo page said 8: Account Closed.

A few days later I went online and subbed it.

Perhaps letting it go through GS and connect to the mothership first alerted the TiVo subscription server that one of its sleepers had re-awakened, so that when I submitted the TSN it was ready for me.

20. jfalkingham

jfalkingham Member

Jul 23, 2002
    New Hampshire

The Elite is month to month or lifetime. No commitment (because of purchase price).