Subnet restriction problem even if on same subnet?

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by JasonRossSmith, Nov 11, 2011.

1. JasonRossSmith

JasonRossSmith Member

Jul 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    I'm having an interesting Multi-room-viewing issue.

I know it is networking related and somehow related to the "same subnet" restriction even though I have confirmed all units are indeed on the same subnet.

I'll get the cursory facts out of the way:
    • All units are identical model's Tivo HD units.
    • All units are on the same version of the Tivo software: 11.0k-01-2-652
    • All units are on the same Tivo Account under my Tivo.com access.
    • All units have the same Media Access key
    • All units have "Video Sharing" & "Enable video downloads" enabled online in my account under DVR preferences.
    • All units have had connections to the tivo service forced.
    • All units have been rebooted.

The IP addresses on the units are as follows:
    • Master Bedroom = 192.168.0.3
    • Family Room = 192.168.0.4
    • Bedroom = 192.168.0.5

In case you are wondering, 192.168.0.1 = the Router itself of course, and 192.168.0.2 = my laptop (wich is running Tivo Desktop version 2.8.412.369). There are no other devices on the newtwork.

Ok so now that all that is out of the way here's what's going on with the units:
    • All Tivo's can see the Laptop, & the laptop can see all Tivo's, including all recordings. I can move any recordings from any of the Tivo's to the laptop, and I can move any recording on the laptop to any of the Tivo's.
    • All Tivo's appear in each other's "Now Playing" List.
    • The Bedroom, & Family Room Tivo's can see each other's recordings and move them back and forth between each other.
    • The Bedroom & Family Room Tivo's can see the Master Bedroom Tivo in the "Now Playing" list but when you select it you get the "The Bedroom DVR has no recordings..." message. The same thing happens if the Master Bedroom Tivo tries to look at either the Family Room, or other Bedroom Tivo.
    • The router is wireless capable. The Laptop connects via 802.11n, the MasterBedroom Tivo connects via 802.11g, and the other two Tivo's (Bedroom, & Family Room) are both hardwired with cat-5.

So here I'm finally at my problem. I know this has to have something to do with wireless Vs Cat-5 connection because of the fact that the two tivo's that are connected via Cat-5 can transfer to each other, but the one Tivo on wireless is odd man out, and while it sees the the other two tivo's it can't see any recordings. The confusing part is that they are all indeed on the same subnet, and this has worked for years. I cannot seem to locate or isolate a variable that has changed.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Jason

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edits: Added 11-11

• ALL units, including the router have been rebooted, and the wireless adapter is the Tivo Wireless G unit.
    • I did already connect the "bedroom" unit via cat 5 for testing to eliminate that variable, which is how I've isolated the issue to this point. It isn't practical to leave it hardwired permanently.
    • The wireless router is (unfortunately) a Qwest-->CentruryLink DSL modem & Wifi Router combo, model Q1000. It's been working up till now so I've intentionally kept things simple by having only the one device.

2. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    Including the router and the TiVo wireless? This sounds like an issue with the router.

That would tend to rule out a subnet issue.

So does that.

Check the wireless settings on the router. I suggest you try bypassing the wireless and go hard-wired for testing (you may have to move the 3rd TiVo).

3. reneg

reneg Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Keep things simple. Hardwire the bedroom Tivo.

4. speed_phreak

speed_phreak Member

Apr 6, 2006
    Wired and wireless clients on your router are separated by different "interfaces" within the design of the router. There must be some kind of firewall in the router between wireless and wired clients blocking traffic. What brand and model of wireless router? Investigate if DD-WRT or another similar project can replace your router's stock firmware. It would seem that your router's firmware configuration, whether they give you access to change the particular setting, is causing your issues.

As a test, buy a long cat5 cable and try using the odd man out, then you will know for sure.

Wireless router manufacturers have to pick and choose default settings for their routers. They also have to pick what settings they are going to allow customers access to change. To keep support costs low, most go with less is more... It is best to buy a router that will let you change firmware for more flexibility.

5. JasonRossSmith

JasonRossSmith Member

Jul 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Thanks folks for help so far, here are answers to questions posed back to me, and are edited back to original post:

• ALL units, including the router have been rebooted, and the wireless adapter is the Tivo Wireless G unit.
    • I did already connect the "bedroom" unit via cat 5 for testing to eliminate that variable, which is how I've isolated the issue to this point. It isn't practical to leave it hardwired permanently.
    • The wireless router is (unfortunately) a Qwest-->CentruryLink DSL modem & Wifi Router combo, model Q1000. It's been working up till now so I've intentionally kept things simple by having only the one device.

6. speed_phreak

speed_phreak Member

Apr 6, 2006
    You are going to need to reduce your Q1000 to just a "modem", and turn off it's wireless capabilities. Buy something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124190 You can find them at goodwill or ebay too... Just get a WRT54G with the L in it's model number. Sure, there are faster options, as this is only G, but nothing has ever been quite as stable, IMHO.

Load DD-WRT on it and you should be good to go... Otherwise, maybe someone else with more experience with that particular router has more ideas on how to help with it's settings... You could always find the forum for your telco and try asking about the Q1000 here: http://www.dslreports.com/forums/all

Again, I think you will need a true wireless router, not the one your telco gave you...

7. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    You might try not just rebooting the router, but re-setting it to factory defaults and re-configuring it.

8. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Is this an "everything's been set up this way and working fine for months until recently" problem, or an "I just set all of this up this way and part of it isn't working" problem?