subcription needed? Just to record off DirecTV

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by sanpablo, Aug 3, 2007.

1. sanpablo

sanpablo New Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Hi, I tried to search the forums and I did read the FAQ but
    I couldn't find an answer. I have DirecTV and my daughter received
    a TIVO dual tuner as a present. I would simply like to hook up her
    DirecTV receiver to the TIVO and do a simple VCR like record
    (day, time, video input, start, stop)
    Is this possible without having to get a subscription for her TIVO?
    If I have to get a subscription I will just get another DirecTV TIVO
    and sell the dual tuner TIVO.

2. wolflord11

wolflord11 Lord of Darkness

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    You will need a Tivo Subscription to use the Tivo Series 2 period!

With the older Series 1 Tivo units you could do manual recordings without a Subscription.

So, best bet would be sell it and get a Directv/Tivo unit :D

And welcome to the Forum :D

3. sanpablo

sanpablo New Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Ok, thanks for the info. That's what I thought :(
    Love the DirecTV TIVO :)

4. Stanley Rohner

Stanley Rohner New Member

Jan 18, 2004
    oklahoma
    Get 2 DIRECTV HD DVRs and get rid of the TiVos altogether.

5. catcard

catcard MoxiDVR

Mar 2, 2001
    Honey...

Even if he gets a Directv/Tivo unit he will still have to pay a subscription. It is paid thru Directv but it is still a subscription.

6. wolflord11

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    Its called a DVR Fee, and it is $5.99 a Month for unlimited DVR units be they Directv's in house DVR's or Directv/Tivo units.

Since we do not know what the OP's setup is, they may already be paying the DVR Fee. If they have an older Package it would show up as DVR Fee on the Account. If its a Newer Package, the DVR fee is included in the Base Package price.

The OP was asking about a Tivo Series 2. Tivo's cheapest fee is $12.95 a Month for a Three Year Commitment. This can be reduced to $6.95 a Month if they had MSD. Even Tivo's cheapest fee cannot beat Directv's.

And as we all know, Directv/Tivo units are the best of the best for Sat.

If the OP has HD from Directv, and wants HD Programming, this would be the best option. But you would lose the Tivo interface. You would get the HR20's.

With HD, you could still use the Tivo, but it records in Analog only, so you would lose HD. As Stanley has stated, if you go the HD route, ditch Tivo.

7. SullyND

SullyND W: 33-9 (Camping World Bowl) TCF Club

Dec 30, 2004
    Chicago Burbs
    You are correct, I believe the OP already pays the DVR Fee - Keyword below: "another"

8. wolflord11

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    Yes SullyND I do beleive you are correct :D

So if the OP already has a Directv/Tivo unit, they are already paying the DVR Fee, be it seperate on their account, or part of the Base Package.

So adding another Directv/Tivo unit would cost the OP $4.99 a Month for the Mirror Fee. Compared to the cost of adding the Tivo Series 2, the Op is better taking the Directv/Tivo.

Also, this would give the OP another Dual Tuner/Dual Buffer recorder, compared to the Series 2 which is only a Single Tuner. Remember, the Series 2 DT (Dual Tuner) only works as a single Tuner with Sat.