Stuttering Intro movie = dead HD?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by hoyty, Nov 26, 2008.

1. hoyty

hoyty Member

Jan 22, 2003
    Sammamish, WA

Advertisements

I noticed today the clock on my S3 was stuck, I attempted to power it on and got nothing. Then I pulled plug and rebooted it, it seemed to take longer than usualy to boot. When it booted I got notice about Jamna and Disney. After the mesage as soon as live TV came it on it would freeze with about 5 sec of TV, 30 sec freeze over and over. I rebooted it again and same problem. Then I pulled OTA (only signal I have) and rebooted. This time the menu was somewhat responsive. As soon as I attached OTA it would freeze. I rebooted once more and ran a full clear and delete. I made it through guided setup but then the THX and TiVo intros wouldn't play completely. Once it got to menu I couldn't move the select bar using remote or front panel.

My guess at this point is a rapidly dying hard drive. Not a big deal to replace, but I just wanted to see if anyone had any other possibilities? Thanks.

One more note - I tried to power it on to run kick start commands and now it is stuck at first screen and the front display has TiVo logo and all 4 lights on.

2. richsadams

richsadams Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2003
    Search is your friend! ;)

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=361087

That said, sad to say yes, it does indeed sound very much like a failing hard drive. Looks like your comfortable with replacing it yourself. If you need more info a visit to the Official eSATA Drive Expansion: FAQ + Discussion sticky thread is in order. Even though it started out as an eSATA drive thread, it has everything you need to know about upgrading your TiVo HD including recommended hard drives and Section III, #30 covers internal upgrades.

3. hoyty

hoyty Member

Jan 22, 2003
    Sammamish, WA
    Thanks, I had read that thread but it seemed to center on cable card issues and didn't mention OTA much. I have done about a dozen HD upgrades on DirecTV TiVo so yeah that isn't an issue, just gotta grab an Instant Cake for Series 3 now.

4. richsadams

Jan 4, 2003
    It seems to be the same issue, OTA or cable...the hard drive simply can no longer handle it's duties.

You might also run a program like WD Lifeguard Diagnostic on the OEM drive to see if it's actually a hardware problem or just corrupted data.

Either way if you still want to upgrade to another/larger drive you may still be able to use your OEM drive to image a new one with winMFS. Otherwise IC is almost fool proof.

Best of luck and let us know what you end up doing. :up:

5. hoyty

hoyty Member

Jan 22, 2003
    Sammamish, WA

Advertisements

I took the original 250 WD out and ran SpinRite on it and it did find some problems on the disk. I decided to swap the drive out rather than risk it fully dying again soon. I swapped in a 1 TB WD Black drive that I had from another DVR. After a late night brain fart of not attaching the SATA/Power (working on TiVo's after midnight is a bad idea) the TiVo appears to be functioning fine now with the new drive. I used IC3 to build new drive and I am just waiting for 9.4 to download. Thanks.

6. richsadams

Jan 4, 2003
    Excellent news! :up: