Stupid HR10-250 question.

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by RonH54, Jan 18, 2006.

1. RonH54

RonH54 New Member

Jul 3, 2004
    I don't have an HD TV yet but I got an offer to buy a HR10-250 HD Tivo receiver at a super price. I have Std Directv Tivo unit now,can I just connect this HR10-250 to my old TV,call Directv to active and then I can still Tivo and watch my Std channels until I get the HD TV I want then have them turn on HD channels?

Thanks

2. old7

old7 That's all I know! TCF Club

Aug 7, 2002
    Medford, Oregon
    Yes.

3. disco

disco Father of Sam.

Mar 27, 2000
    Lake...
    ...but be advised that the HR10-250 will NOT receive the HD locals DirecTV is starting to roll out (it still can receive OTA signals, provided you live close enough).

4. lromoda

lromoda New Member

Aug 11, 2005
    Technically yes, you should be able to. It's out the ordinary though, you probably don't have an oval dish and you won't be subscribing to any HD channels. I suppose the added capacity could be enough reason to switch.

Actually, if you hook up an OTA antenna or get the oval dish you could record the HD feeds. You'd have the programs but would just be watching then downconverted on your SD tv.

5. thuan98

thuan98 New Member

Feb 23, 2004
    Hi all,
    I have another newbie question about this HR10-250:
    I plan to buy this model to record coming up worlcup soccer tournament in June

Can I just activate DirectTV service without TIVO service ?
    I plan to manually record (hit record button manually) to save $$ :)
    If not, I can buy and cancel the TIVO service TWO months later
    I have a TIVO v1 with life subcriber, still running

Please help
    Thanks
    Thuan

6. disco

disco Father of Sam.

Mar 27, 2000
    Lake...
    No. The HR10-250 activates with the the DVR (TiVo) service. They go hand-in-hand and it can't be avoided with ANY DirecTV or DirecTiVo DVR.

7. RonH54

RonH54 New Member

Jul 3, 2004
    I am 75 miles from my nearest local so I'll won't get them until they on satelite feed. I do receive all LA and NY network feeds so I should be able to get NY Network HD until they go to mpeg4. Someone told me since I had the std NY and LA feeds for 2 years I could be grandfathered in to get HD from NY but not LA now.

8. thepackfan

thepackfan Member

May 21, 2003
    Plano, TX
    Before purchasing your HDTivo Id press DirecTV to note in your file that you will be able to get National feeds. I would also check later (before purchase) that your Nationals request actually is in your file. I have had one rep tell me that they will note something, then the next rep not be able to locate it.

9. RonH54

RonH54 New Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Thanks,that is a good idea.