Stupid Dish Salesman- "DirecTV doesn't have a HD-DVR that records HD-Locals"

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Adam1115, Aug 17, 2006.

1. Adam1115

Adam1115 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver ish

Advertisements

So a Dish salesman came to the door and tried to sell me. I told him I have DirecTV, he asked if I had HD or DVR's, I told him I had an HD-DVR and two SD-DVR's. He asked if I was disappointed that I can't record my locas in HD with DirecTV's HD-DVR.

I responded, no, my locals record just fine in HD. He looked puzzled and said "That's impossible, DirecTV's HD-DVR doesn't record HD Locals." I said, nope works great. I don't get them from satellite, i get them over the air.

He couldn't get over this, he was totally baffled. He argued with me for a good 15 minutes. Apparently he was trained that the only way to get local HD programming is via satellite. LOL

2. vttym

vttym New Member

Aug 15, 2005
    He better not come to my house.. I get my locals via satellite...

Come to think of it, when I tell the reps on the phone this, they are almost as puzzled as this rep would be...

"You shouldn't be getting locals, it's probably just a regionalized NBC and FOX.." .. looking into it more "Hmm, no, it's definately local, that's weird, you shouldn't be getting that".. to which I always respond "Well, let's not fix something that's not broken, eh?"

I really need to stop telling them anything about locals.. if I lose my HD locals via satellite through my HR10-250, I'll cry :)

3. TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004
    Well, how does the DISH PVR work? If he understands that, he should understand the concept of ATSC tuners in a DTV PVR, one would think.

4. Adam1115

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver ish
    The same, except with half the ATSC tuners.. and HD-LITE available via satellite.

5. bpratt

bpratt New Member

Nov 20, 2004
    Salt Lake...
  6. ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    Hey... if it he comes back..

Send him my house for some training...

I can record both... those from OTA (on one unit), and those from SAT (on the other)..

:)

7. Adam1115

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver ish
    When SOME people refer to LOCALS, they mean channels that are LOCAL. In other words, getting HD Channels out of LA (Which by the way I also get) are NOT locals...

8. ericL

ericL Abbie Normal

Jan 6, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    I had a DirecTV, let alone Dish, CSR tell me that the HDTivo can't record locals when he was trying to convince me to wait for the HR20. I tried to convince him for a minute but then just gave up as it wasn't relevant to our discussion.

9. cheer

cheer Registered Offender

Nov 13, 2005
    Gurnee, IL
    Who, exactly, is claiming otherwise? Certainly not Earl.

10. Adam1115

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver ish
    ????

Are you saying Earl is claiming that he is record his IL locals via sat on his HR10??

11. cheer

cheer Registered Offender

Nov 13, 2005
    Gurnee, IL
    No, I am saying that he is recording his IL locals via sat on his HR20. He somehow got one to test/play with. See dbstalk.com for his full review.

12. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    That's OK.

It's very possible that Dish won't have a DVR that can record anything soon. :)

13. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    first off, why are you opening your door to strangers? :)

2nd ly...does satellite really go door to door? how sad. I guess they look for dishes and then pounce. May as well be selling encyclopedias.

14. Adam1115

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver ish
    What's wrong with that? And how do you know their a stranger until you answer the door?

Can't see my dish from the street... Had a big dish shirt, going door to door... I don't think it was ACTUALLY dish, probably a reseller.

15. RonP

RonP New Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Seattle
    Same here. I just got the $19.95 deal on the HR10 and the D* retention rep told me that I would not be able to record Seattle locals OTA, I would only be able to watch them live. Huh?? For that reason he suggested that I wait a few weeks for the HR20. He even offered to send me a free generic HD receiver to "hold [me] over." This rep is a supervisor and has worked at D* for 10+ years. As with EricL I started to correct him and decided not to waste my time. Just send me my freebie, thank you very much.

Now I'm impatiently waiting for my Silver Sensor to arrive so I can watch...and record...HD.

16. mknoebel

mknoebel New Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Greeley, CO
    Dish came to my door a couple of summers ago and tried to convince me that I should switch because Dish was going to get the Sunday Ticket. I explained that it was impossible because DirecTv had just signed an exlusive contract. He told me that not only was that not true, but that his brother was friends with Charlie and he heard it directly from his mouth. Yeah, right.

I told him no thanks, went in the house and printed an article I found online that stated that DirecTv would be the only sat with Sunday Ticket rights and found him 3 houses down and gave it to him. I asked him not to lie to any of my neighbors and wished him a good day.
    :)

17. wje

wje New Member

Jan 7, 2005
    New...
    I had a DirecTV CSR tell me my HR10 HDMI problem was a software issue, too.

As hard as it may be to believe, sales people usually know even less than CSRs about what they are selling.

Most likely, they have been confused by D*'s MPEG4 locals rollout. So, they're half correct... D* doesn't have an HD DVR that will record (or even receive) them, at least until the HR20 gets deployed.

18. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    we have peepholes and windows here in my neck of the world :)

19. Adam1115

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver ish
    Just can't bring myself to be that rude.. (Look at the guy out the window and not open the door..)

Course I come from a small town moving to the big city.

20. wje

wje New Member

Jan 7, 2005
    New...
    Here in the back woods of NH, we just keep a gun by the door. :)