Stuck "Welcome Starting up" (I think hd is dead,need replacement drive recommendation)

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by jdmatl, Oct 14, 2020.

1. jdmatl

jdmatl Member

Apr 26, 2003

Advertisements

[​IMG]
    Ok, after many years my Roamio is stuck a the the Welcome Starting up screen.

I can't even get it to get to the flashing amber light so I can put a Kickstart code 57 to run a system repair.

So, any other tricks? Yes, took out cable card, removed all exterior cables, Still can't even get flashing amber light. I get the solid green, then a red/blue blink, then back to solid green.

Yes, I have my remote in IR mode also.

Since HD is dead, what is a good replacement drive from amazon?

And If i recall correctly the Tivo should download the OS from the web, correct?

Looks like all my season passes are gone, right?
    I went to the website and tivo can't access (naturally) my home unit. Had hope that tivo kept my season passes stored in the cloud. Guess that was too much to ask for. :(

2. keithg1964

keithg1964 Ragonk

Feb 2, 2006
    Texas
    There are many threads that will answer your question.

3. jdmatl

jdmatl Member

Apr 26, 2003
    Well seems after unplugging it and letting it sit for 1 hr, I am getting the green blue/red dance.

Which indicates hopefully the external power supply is the problem. HOPEFULLY this is the case.

4. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    WD Red of Purple drive; as for capacity of drive you will need to search for the limit per your TiVo's TCD number.

5. jdmatl

jdmatl Member

Apr 26, 2003

Advertisements

saw where WD Blue drives were recommended in other threads. Green was to be avoided but I think those have been discontinued. . replacing the 500 with a 1TB. don't record that much and 1TB is ample. I would put a 500 back in, but I can get 1TB cheaper.

6. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
  7. jdmatl

jdmatl Member

Apr 26, 2003
  8. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    There have been other posts about this subject.
    The general thought was SSDrives are not suited for the TiVo environment.
    Due to continuous read/write processes 24/7.

9. tommage1

tommage1 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    500 Blue is fine (CMR). 1TB Blue 3.5 is CMR (good), 1TB Blue 2.5 is SMR (not good). Since you have a Roamio assume you will be using 3.5 so you should be fine. If you go higher than 1TB Blue would not be a good choice.

WD-Chart-SMR.jpg

Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
  10. jdmatl

jdmatl Member

Apr 26, 2003
    Update: I replaced the external power supply with one purchased off amazon and the unit is working 100%. I would have never thought an external power supply could go bad. This tivo has been on a UPS all it's live, never live power, which is even more crazy.
    Thanks to all.

Teeps likes this.