Stuck "Welcome Starting up" (I think hd is dead,need replacement drive recommendation)

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by jdmatl, Oct 14, 2020.

1. jdmatl

jdmatl Member

Apr 26, 2003

Advertisements

[​IMG]
    Ok, after many years my Roamio is stuck a the the Welcome Starting up screen.

I can't even get it to get to the flashing amber light so I can put a Kickstart code 57 to run a system repair.

So, any other tricks? Yes, took out cable card, removed all exterior cables, Still can't even get flashing amber light. I get the solid green, then a red/blue blink, then back to solid green.

Yes, I have my remote in IR mode also.

Since HD is dead, what is a good replacement drive from amazon?

And If i recall correctly the Tivo should download the OS from the web, correct?

Looks like all my season passes are gone, right?
    I went to the website and tivo can't access (naturally) my home unit. Had hope that tivo kept my season passes stored in the cloud. Guess that was too much to ask for. :(

2. keithg1964

keithg1964 Ragonk

Feb 2, 2006
    Texas
    There are many threads that will answer your question.

3. jdmatl

jdmatl Member

Apr 26, 2003
    Well seems after unplugging it and letting it sit for 1 hr, I am getting the green blue/red dance.

Which indicates hopefully the external power supply is the problem. HOPEFULLY this is the case.

4. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    WD Red of Purple drive; as for capacity of drive you will need to search for the limit per your TiVo's TCD number.

5. jdmatl

jdmatl Member

Apr 26, 2003

Advertisements

saw where WD Blue drives were recommended in other threads. Green was to be avoided but I think those have been discontinued. . replacing the 500 with a 1TB. don't record that much and 1TB is ample. I would put a 500 back in, but I can get 1TB cheaper.

6. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
  7. jdmatl

jdmatl Member

Apr 26, 2003
  8. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    There have been other posts about this subject.
    The general thought was SSDrives are not suited for the TiVo environment.
    Due to continuous read/write processes 24/7.

9. tommage1

tommage1 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    500 Blue is fine (CMR). 1TB Blue 3.5 is CMR (good), 1TB Blue 2.5 is SMR (not good). Since you have a Roamio assume you will be using 3.5 so you should be fine. If you go higher than 1TB Blue would not be a good choice.

WD-Chart-SMR.jpg

Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
    Dan Cour likes this.
  10. jdmatl

jdmatl Member

Apr 26, 2003
    Update: I replaced the external power supply with one purchased off amazon and the unit is working 100%. I would have never thought an external power supply could go bad. This tivo has been on a UPS all it's live, never live power, which is even more crazy.
    Thanks to all.

tommage1 and Teeps like this.
  11. brobin

brobin Active Member

Feb 14, 2014
    The old magnetic core, heavier and bulkier power supplies rarely fail unless overloaded to the point of melting. The newer, lightweight switching power supplies are not as reliable, particularly if running close to it's max amperage draw. If you have a wall wart that's running very warm or hot replace it with one with a higher max amperage. As long as voltage and plug polarity are the same the higher amperage unit will runner cooler and last longer. You can swap a 12vdc 2000ma (2 amp) one with a 3000ma (3 amp) or higher one for more headroom and cooler operation.

12. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    Excellent info...

13. DougJohnson

DougJohnson Member

Dec 11, 2006
    I've had two TiVos die due to power supply issues. The problems showed up after powering them down. They had been on UPSs for years and never powered down. My theory is that the power supplies had gotten progressively weaker. They were able to supply enough power to keep the TiVos running, but not enough to spin up the hard drive from a cold start. -- Doug

14. MJA-Today

MJA-Today New Member

Jan 19, 2019
    First timer poster, long time user.

I assume I should post here. My situation the same as jdmatel. Roamio is stuck at the the 'Welcome! Starting up...' screen. Solid green light and nothing after that. I do not get to the flashing amber light.

Leading up to this, my 1TB HD had been dying. I attempted to clone the drive to a WD Red 3TB using MFSTools but there were too many errors and the WD would not boot. I ran Kickstart 58 several times on the 1TB and retried the clone but no success. After each try, I put my 1TB back in the Roamio and it booted. Lastly, I cleaned the WD Red 3TB and put it into the Roamio (thinking it would format the drive without my content (no success). When I returned the original 1TB drive to the Roamio, I got the 'Welcome! Starting up...' and nothing else.

The Roamio has previously been upgraded to TiVo Experience 4 as the installed OS. Is there any diagnostic action I can take to get my unit operating again?

Last edited: Nov 7, 2020
  15. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    see post 3, 10 & 11 above

16. MJA-Today

MJA-Today New Member

Jan 19, 2019
    I have tried 2 different power supplies since the problem occurred. I tried a 3 amp 12V wall wart power supply from a a dual bay external SATA enclosure, then I found a 4 amp 12v external power supply and tried it with no success.

Is there some key sequence one can enter with a USB keyboard or remote put the OS into a console boot mode? FYI, I am starting it with only the HDMI cable plugged in.

Secondly, what is the correct way to install a new store bought hard drive? Do I need to run MFSTools on it to give it a basic format?

Last edited: Nov 7, 2020
  17. tommage1

tommage1 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Depends on which OS you are running (TE3 or TE4). If you are going to start fresh, with TE3 you can just pop in the drive, up to 3TB. It should format itself. With TE4 you should be able to pop in any size drive and it should format itself (well at least up to 12TB, maybe more). That's about it. BUT you need to buy a CMR drive, NOT SMR. Pretty much any CMR drive will work, SMR some may work, some may not, regardless SMR not recommended for Tivos if CMR is a possibility.

18. JMURiz

JMURiz New Member

Oct 28, 2020
    Which power supply did you use? I'm having similar issues. Thanks.
    I'll either get the Amazon one or if the Bolt 3amp ones, if they fit in the Roamio plug.

19. weaver

weaver Member TCF Club

Feb 27, 2004
    New...
    The Bolt 3 Amp power supplies fit fine in the Roamio. I'm using one on my basic.

CopRock likes this.
  20. jonw747

jonw747 Active Member

Aug 2, 2015
    "Wall warts" have to have the highest failure rate in the industry as they're so cheaply built. The bulging capacitor debacle did them no favors, but that was quite a while ago. Those barrel connectors sometimes fail on them as well due to perhaps the constant tension but more likely getting yanked/kicked/banged because they stick out.

The built-in power supplies are much more reliably IMO, which is likely a combination of more thought/$$$ going in to the design and active cooling doesn't hurt either.