Stuck on Welcome Screen

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by ntrainer, Jul 31, 2007.

1. ntrainer

ntrainer New Member

Apr 28, 2004
    So... my grand, old Series 2 TiVo is stuck on the "Welcome... Powering Up" screen, basically. I've unplugged and replugged it a couple of times and I can get past the "Welcome" screen and use the DVR for all of about 5 minutes before it fails again and I'm stuck on the "Welcome" screen. From what I can tell, this means my HD is somehow failing. But here's my real queston: I have a Lifetime Service agreement. Should I call TiVo and get a replacement DVR? Or is that worth it?

2. robomeister

robomeister DVD TiVo Expert

Feb 4, 2005
    Beltsville, MD
    It depends. Is the TiVo stock (no upgrades to the hard drive)? If so, you can call TiVo and try to get it fixed through them. What they typically do is send you a new unit and you send them your bad unit. It will probably cost you $150-$200 to do this, but they will transfer your lifetime sub to the new unit.

If you want to try to do it yourself, you can check out the upgrade forum here. You can buy pre-loaded hard drives and simply open up your TiVo and drop in the drive. Or buy a blank hard drive and get Instant Cake (from dvrupgrade.com) and upgrade yourself. If you drive wasn't dying, you could get the boot cd from mfslive.org and copy the TiVo OS to a new blank drive. But this might not work, because your drive is dying.

Hope that helps,
    robomeister

3. ntrainer

ntrainer New Member

Apr 28, 2004
    Thanks, robomeister. This unit doesn't have any "upgrades," at least if by that question you mean, "Have I altered this TiVo since getting it from TiVo directly?" I haven't. It's the same box (with software upgrades regularly downloaded, of course, which is why I'm a little confused by the question). So it seems like the best option is to wait 'til TiVo opens at 7:00 a.m. PST and call them to ship out a replacement. There's no beating that Lifetime Subscription, even if it does mean shelling out $200 for a new box.