Stuck on "Welcome, Powering Up!"

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by ycrazyy, Dec 21, 2011.

1. ycrazyy

ycrazyy Big Perm

Dec 2, 2001
    New York, NY

Advertisements

I have a TivoHD that I have been running for quite a number of years and replaced the HDD a few times as well. It has been running just fine until the other day, I came home and was greeted by the "Welcome, Powering Up!" screen. Figuring the hard drive went bad (first thought always), I tried to reboot and run kickstart to check it out. However, I was unable to get into the kickstart menu. The front lights would never flash, so I was never able to enter the codes and get into the menu.

I pulled the drive and popped it in another computer, ran Seatools on it (it's a Seagate drive) and all came back fine. I did some reading yesterday and today and read a few threads mentioning a possible bad power supply. I checked and triple checked all of the capacitors and they all appear ok to me, so I do not believe that is the issue.

I have pulled the M-Card, ethernet, tuning adaptor, etc. EVERYTHING except the HDMI and power to see if that made any difference, but it did not. Does anyone have any idea what this could possibly be or the possible cause?

I went out and bought a Premier today, but this TivoHD has a lifetime sub on it so I'd obviously prefer to keep it as opposed to paying the new monthly fees or Tivo's "gracious" offer to transfer my lifetime service for a mere $399.00. Any help would be really appreciated!

2. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Your sig mentions external HDs. Have you tried booting without the external drive attached? If you get past the "Welcome! Powering Up" screen and see the "missing external storage" screen that might point to the external drive as the problem.

3. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Also: Check the voltages from the PS, at least the 5V and 12V that power the HDD. Reseat the eSATA cable to the expander drive. Can you test the HDD in the expander on your PC?

4. ycrazyy

ycrazyy Big Perm

Dec 2, 2001
    New York, NY
    Sorry, haven't been on here in a while so didn't update my signature. The last time my HDD died in this Tivo and I replaced it, I was having problems marrying the external HDD so I just stopped using it. There is only an internal HDD on this Tivo.

I will try to test the voltages, have to go get a voltage meter though. I took out the MB battery for an hour, unplugged and re-plugged in all the cables on the interior thinking one of them might be loose, but no luck so far.