Stuck on power up screen with a twist

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Filament, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Filament

Filament New Member

Sep 1, 2011
    Hi ! I purchased a Tivo HD Model # TCD652160 two and a half years ago and upgraded it myself to a Hitachi Deskstar 1TB drive a year ago. No cable cards are used and it is attached to the TV with component cables. It stopped responding to the "live TV" commands although I could still use the "now playing" list and watch recorded shows. Netflix also worked. I am not sure if it was recording additional shows that were on the "season pass" list. After a week of this I finally rebooted it and it stuck on the powering up screen. Unplugging it does not change that. Kickstart commands would not work. I pulled the drive and ran WD diagnostic on it and it passed all tests. So I'm flummoxed! What could be "broken" that originally only the "live TV" would not work but now I can't even get back to that? Any help appreciated. I haven't tried the old drive yet.

2. Thom

Thom Unemployed and loving it !

Jun 5, 2000
    Southern Calif.
    If you still have the original hard disk (with TiVo software still intact) then try installing the original disk. If it works with the original disk and software, upgrade it again to the 1 terabyte drive.

If you don't have the original software, buy an Instantcake software image that matches your TiVo model.

3. Filament

Filament New Member

Sep 1, 2011
    Thanks Thom. I try what you suggested. I just don't understand how the drive tests okay even on the extended tests and yet I just can't get back to the "live TV" screen or now even past the powering up screen. I read a post over on the Weaknees site that it might be "bad software". I made a backup of the original software so if the old drive does work I might try to wipe and then reinstall the software on the 1 TB disk. The Hitachi disk has had very little use as I have Tivo recommendations turned off. It only records the shows I tell it to which are very few. Drive failure in a year is ridiculous. I'll post back when I have time to work on it.

4. tootal2

tootal2 Active Member

Oct 14, 2005
    I have this problem to but i was able to get passed it some how. i upluged everything from the back of my tivo and kept unpluging it and plugging it back and it work after a while.

Does anyone know what causes this problem?

5. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Remember the Tivo is always recording, whether it is "programmed" to or not. And even the best of hard drives is going to have failures(among their thousands+). The 1 TB Hitachi in my Tivo HD will be 4 yo this November.

And sometimes the Tivo software just "glitches". Possibly even moreso on upgraded drives.

Definitely start by reinstalling the original hard drive, if you have it.

6. Filament

Filament New Member

Sep 1, 2011
    Well I reinstalled the original drive and it works fine. Still not sure why the Hitachi checks out okay with the drive tests but rather than reinstall the TIVO software on it and try it again I am getting a new drive. It will be a WD drive this time so hopefully I'll get a bit more time out of it.

DWIT: Why/how is the TIVO always recording and if so why can't I see these recordings?

7. WO312

WO312 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Finger...
    It is always recording because it is always buffering the live TV. You can see those recordings any time you want by rewinding live TV. :)

8. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Yes. Essentially, everything you watch(on Tivo "Live TV") is a recording. It is just not being saved. It is being continuously recorded and erased after 30 min or so, unless you have told(programmed) the Tivo to save it. This is why you are able to rewind and fast forward through about 30 minutes of live tv. This recording and erasing is always going on, on both tuners, whether you are watching the Tivo or not.

The only time the Tivo is not recording is if it is unplugged.

9. Filament

Filament New Member

Sep 1, 2011
    Duhh! Of course {light bulb goes off}! I never though of it that way. Rarely use that feature but it is cool. Thanks.