Stuck on "Clearing and deleting everything. This will take an hour"

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by Tivo_noob, Oct 9, 2007.

1. Oct 9, 2007 #1 of 34
    Tivo_noob

Tivo_noob New Member

Jan 28, 2006

Advertisements

Just bought a 2nd Tivo off ebay and went to delete everything almost 2.5 hrs ago and it is stuck on this mesage. i have unplugged at the mains and restarted and it just reverts to this message :confused:

It is a bog standard 40g unmodded Tivo

2. Oct 9, 2007 #2 of 34
    Tivo_noob

Tivo_noob New Member

Jan 28, 2006
    Sorry ignore, quite literally as soon as i pressed enter to start this thread it went into set up :eek:

3. Oct 9, 2007 #3 of 34
    Tivo_noob

Tivo_noob New Member

Jan 28, 2006
    Ok new problem :D

Set up call (Failed. Couldn't connect) message

With my other Tivo i use network to download guide data and can't for the life of me remember the last time i had to use my modem to do a daily call, i have no call waiting either so am i right in thinking i don't need a prefix?

4. Oct 9, 2007 #4 of 34
    blindlemon

blindlemon tivoheaven.co.uk

May 12, 2002
    Malmesbury, UK
    No prefix, nothing - just plug it into the phone line and it should do its stuff.

5. Oct 9, 2007 #5 of 34
    Tivo_noob

Tivo_noob New Member

Jan 28, 2006

Advertisements

Hmmm i seem to remember when my other Tivo had network problems and i had to revert to dial up for a short period i had the same problem.......................the only thing is i can't remember how i solved it :eek:

Is there anyway of testing the modem on this Tivo, in fact come to think of it it must be ok as the last successful call was made in August :confused:

6. Oct 9, 2007 #6 of 34
    Tivo_noob

Tivo_noob New Member

Jan 28, 2006
    Well i've tried every combination going and still no joy :(

The phone line is fine as i have checked it and even unplugged the cable from the phone (after checking) and put it stright into the Tivo but it still won't call out :thumbsdown:

7. Oct 9, 2007 #7 of 34
    Tivo_noob

Tivo_noob New Member

Jan 28, 2006
    When i change the "Set Dial Tone Detection to Off" i get a different message:

"Failed. Line unavailable"

8. Oct 9, 2007 #8 of 34
    6022tivo

6022tivo A Happy Member

Oct 29, 2002
    UK
    I don't care what people say about cables..

The tivo phone cable is a funny one, do you have your old one from TiVo1?? Did it come with the tivo, huge long black cable?

9. Oct 9, 2007 #9 of 34
    RichardJH

RichardJH New Member

Oct 7, 2002
    Hanworth....
    or as with my two WHITE

10. RichardJH

RichardJH New Member

Oct 7, 2002
    Hanworth....
    Was it previously setup for a network connection ??

11. Tivo_noob

Tivo_noob New Member

Jan 28, 2006
    Well i was coming to that conclusion, ie the cable is the wrong one!

I don't think i have the original Tivo one, in fact i have that many cables it could have malgamated into the spaggetti junction that currently resides at the back of my TV, Tivo, xbox, Amp, Freeview, Surround Sound etc etc etc :eek:

I must have one somewhere as i have made a daily call using dial up before but with which cable is anybodys guess!

12. Tivo_noob

Tivo_noob New Member

Jan 28, 2006
    No because the warranty seal is still intact

13. mrtickle

mrtickle Active Member

Aug 26, 2001
    Birmingham, UK
    If you have ADSL remember that every phone, fax, modem, etc in your house must be plugged in via a filter. Only the router should be unfiltered; and so you could try unplugging all the other phones just for a while to isolate the fault.

My tivo's phone cable was white :) but doesn't look "funny" otherwise? Just an RJ11 on the TiVo end (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RJ11,_RJ14,_RJ25) -ie, with the middle two wires used - and a BT431A (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BT431A) plug on the other end.

14. kitschcamp

kitschcamp Tweaked and poked

May 18, 2001
    Adelaide,...
    Ha ha! That's no guarantee. It's very easy to gently peel it off and re-apply it. My primary tivo still has its seal intact, despite having had a Turbonet card, at least 3 hard drives and a cachecard installed over the years...

15. Automan

Automan Ex TiVo User

Oct 29, 2000
    South...
    If you have a sky box it's telephone cord will work with Tivo.

Automan.

16. OzSat

OzSat Very Nice Moderator

Feb 15, 2001
    Oxfordshire, UK
    Make sure the phone cable is in the 'phone socket - and not the comms socket.

17. Tivo_noob

Tivo_noob New Member

Jan 28, 2006
    Sorry no i don't have Sky

18. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    Any normal laptop modem cable as sole at Staples, Currys, Maplins etc will be suitable for connecting a Tivo to a BT phone socket.

19. Tivo_noob

Tivo_noob New Member

Jan 28, 2006
    Yeah its in the phone socket, this is really getting on my nerves now as i am running out of things to try and SWMBO is giving me "the look" while the room is a jumble of wires and no TV while i try and sort this other one out

OMG while i'm typing this it has bloody gone and done it, christ on a bike don't know what i have done right but it has connected, downloaded, hung up and is now importing.......................fingers toes and everything else well and truly crossed!

:up:

20. dvdfever

dvdfever Member

Jun 2, 2002
    My town
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I've just bought a TiVo from someone on Ebay (can't remember on here if I can go into details, but it's not unmodded - and was cheaper than a new hard drive for the one it replaces) and it's been on for less than an hour, but I was a bit panicky about it giving this message after it alternates with the 'Welcome. Powering Up' screen.

I'm hoping that by posting here, it causes mine to play ball. Otherwise, I'll be seeking a refund from the guy who sold it to me.