Stuck on black screen after backing out of apps. Happens once every 2-3 days.

Discussion in 'TiVo Stream 4K' started by JeffInDFW, Oct 18, 2020.

1. JeffInDFW

JeffInDFW Member

Jan 26, 2004
    Dallas Texas

Advertisements

Every 2 or 3 days, I will back out of an app and the Tivo S4K just goes to a black screen and sits. If I hit the "Netflix button" on the remote, it will open Netflix, but if I back out of Netflix I am right back to a black screen. Only solution is to unplug the Tivo and plug back in. Apps I know it has happend to are when backing out of Netflix and Pandora. I'll pay attention to see what other apps it happens to. This started maybe 3 weeks ago.

I have the latest software.
    EDITED TO ANSWER QUESTION BELOW: Yes, it is plugged in using the included wall adapter into a wall outlet.

Any ideas?

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
    mschnebly likes this.
  2. Kirk Tavener

Kirk Tavener New Member

Oct 18, 2020
    I have been having the same issue. this really sucks.

3. Rodney

Rodney TiVo'd since 9/17/01

Jan 26, 2002
    The...
    How are you powering the Stream? If it is plugged into a USB port rather than the power adapter it came with, that may be your issue.

4. Kirk Tavener

Kirk Tavener New Member

Oct 18, 2020
    it is plugged into the wall using the tivo usm power adapter

5. JeffInDFW

JeffInDFW Member

Jan 26, 2004
    Dallas Texas

Advertisements

Yes, I'm also using the included wall adapter and plugged into a wall outlet.

6. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT
    Mine is plugged into the wall and us doing the exact same thing. I think you'll also find a long press of the Android circle will get you access to all the apps but not the landing screen. So this is definitely software and not a broken unit. We all can't all of a sudden have the same issue at the same time

mschnebly likes this.
  7. sssSMOKING

sssSMOKING New Member

Jan 22, 2020
    Same here. I have 2 and both are doing the same thing. Every couple of days getting the black screen. Need to cycle power then it works for a few days.

8. xberk

xberk Active Member

Dec 3, 2011
    Same behavior here. Back button or Android TV button gives me black screen at times .. something changed .. what's up Tivo?

9. blackngold75

blackngold75 Active Member

Mar 9, 2010
    Northern...
    I haven't seen this yet and hoping I don't. Do you run the TiVo app that came with it? I ask because I "de-TiVo'd" my TS4Ks and don't use/disabled the TiVo app that came with it. FWIW, I also run these via wired ethernet.

10. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Yes this is extremely annoying. I have TS4K for my wife and every few days when she turns on TV she is greeted with black screen and I have to power cycle the TS4K POS to fix it. I'll soon be swapping out the TS4K with a spare Fire TV 4K I have for her to use. Was planning on doing that anyway once we drop HBO Max.

11. Diacritical

Diacritical Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Brooklyn...
    It’s now happening (all of a sudden) on all three of my streams. Very annoying. This was a problem with the initial release I had months ago (looks like a regression bug).

12. Rodney

Rodney TiVo'd since 9/17/01

Jan 26, 2002
    The...
    Well, after posting asking the OP on whether or not it was a power issue, last night I experienced the same issue as well.
    I had to do the long press to get the apps up, and then after I was finished watching HBOMAX I power cycled it.
    Very annoying!

13. pldmich

pldmich New Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Yep, been happening a couple of weeks for me too.

14. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    As usual TiVo shows no embarrassment/urgency releasing a fix for such a blatant issue. I'm never buying anything TiVo branded ever again.

foghorn2 likes this.
  15. cpubradley

cpubradley New Member

Oct 19, 2017
    I must say that is happening to me too - often enough that I have switched to the "Chromecast with Google TV and Netflix bundle" - so far no issues. So for now my Tivo 4k is sitting unused, hopefully when I get around to powering it back on a fix will be in place.

16. blackngold75

blackngold75 Active Member

Mar 9, 2010
    Northern...
    So far, I have not seen this. I have also removed or disabled the TiVo apps - has anyone who's experienced this problem also "de-TiVo'd" their TS4K?

17. Alex_7

Alex_7 Active Member

Jun 24, 2020
    I also de-tivo'd mine, and I have never had this black screen issue.

osu1991 likes this.
  18. gkottner

gkottner Member

Jun 5, 2010
    West...
    Ditto

19. fattymcbuckles

fattymcbuckles Member

May 21, 2020
    Same with me. De- tivoed mine and it runs great.

20. Alex_7

Alex_7 Active Member

Jun 24, 2020
    If anyone is having issues, go to system apps, and Uninstall android tv home updates, clear data, and see if that fixes the issue