Stuck on Acquiring Channels screen

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Jstkiddn, Dec 17, 2008.

1. Jstkiddn

Jstkiddn Shutity up up up

Oct 15, 2003

Advertisements

Trying to install Motorola M-Card in new TivoHD.

Tech came yesterday. Was here for hours. Couldn't get anywhere at first and I got Tivo Tech Support on the line. He talked to them and they did something that finally got us to a screen that we'd never been to after installing the card (guided setup screen i think?), but honestly I was cleaning the kitchen at the time and really don't know exactly what it was they did.

Anyway, tech thought it would probably work after that and left. But it never would go past the acquiring channel information screen.

I called Tivo Tech support back and he said to tell cable co. to reset the card, hit the card and repair the card. Not sure if this is all it needs, but willing to give it a shot.

I guess this must be REAAAALLY hard ::rolls eyes:: because I have currently been on the phone w/ cable co. for an hour. The girl is trying really hard to help me, so I can't complain too much....but they are obviously clueless. It's a small hometown cable co. Anyway, I'm on hold right now and just wondering if anyone can tell me anything that might help the situation.

This is like the blind leading the blind.

The tech that was out here last night was obviously VERY knowledgeable about all things computer but I had a bad feeling when he saw it was a TiVo and told me to cross my fingers. Said they only get them to work w/ the cable cards about half the time. I seriously don't think this is all the TiVo's fault because I know for a fact that millions of other people get them to work and use the same Motorola card.

HELP!! I've already unhooked my 6 yr. old S2 and I want to have my TiVo back!! I miss it. ;)

2. Jstkiddn

Oct 15, 2003
    Update:

Just hung up from a three way call between myself, TiVo tech support and my cable company. TiVo tech support thinks the card is bad. The only thing is the tech used a second card while on the phone w/ tivo tech support last night. Tivo said the card was bad. I wonder what are the chances that this card is actually bad too?

Anyway, tivo tech had me go to the conditional access screen under the cable card menu. There was no Authorization number at all. Not even anything that said "auth"....which she intially thought was because the cable co. had not activated the card. So she does the 3 way call with cable co. They said everything looked good on their end. So TiVo tech had me move the card to slot 2 and had the cable co. activate it on that slot. Still no Auth. number. Actually that entire paragraph is not there. The last line is "con" "ebcp" & "val". After that there is nothing but blank screen. The TiVo tech said that told her it was a bad card since the chances of both slots on the TiVo being bad were astronomical.

So, cable tech is coming back in the morning with another card. Crossing fingers it will work this time.

If not, does anyone think it would be worth trying two S cards instead of the M Card?

<----on day 2 of no HDTiVo :mad:

3. crazi4tv

crazi4tv New Member

Oct 31, 2008
    With Motorola cards, when you see the message "Please Wait...Acquiring Channels" for 10 minutes or more, it means that the Cablecard is unable to acquire a channel map, either because the Cablecard was never activated, not paired correctly, or because it is not receiving a signal.

Try this: tune to a channel that you subscribe to, but is not coming in, then press RECORD on the remote. From TiVo Central, select Messages & Settings, Account & System Information, Diagnostics. Look for Channel List Received: YES. If NO is displayed, the channel map has not downloaded.

To check if the Cablecard is receiving a signal go to the Network Setup screen. Look for Messages, if you see 0 then the card is not receiving a signal which can be caused by a problem with the activation, loose/incorrect connection or no incoming signal. If the card is not receiving a signal then you will need to troubleshoot connections or your provider will need to initialize the card.

These steps should help you determine where is issue is.

4. pdxsam

pdxsam New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    I just had a cable card installed today in my TivoHD. Was chatting with the tech about cable cards in general and he said he was surprised mine worked on the first go. He said he's had cable cards that wouldn't pair on one TivoHD but would pair on another. He also said one job took 6 different cable cards before the pairing worked.

While there may not be a problem with the cable card, this might be what you're running into also. Just thought I'd toss it out there.

5. Enigmatech

Enigmatech New Member

Dec 27, 2004

Advertisements

My box got the new release this week and the first reboot caused the cablecard to not receive the channel list and today I've had auth issues resulting in the cable card menu popping up (but it tunes fine after I clear the menu).
    I have a tech appointment for tomorrow, but its after 5 and I've learned from experience that everyone trained to deal with cablecards leaves at 5. I guess I'll have to hope for the best, when they came to install originally I did 90&#37; of the work (including showing the tech the information he needed to give the depot tech so they could activate the card).

The big issue is that there is almost no need to schedule a roll to do a cablecard job, the cards would be self-install-able if the phone staff was trained to walk the customer through the cablecard menu to read back the device_id. Hopefully when Tru2way hits the market they will be able to do the kinds of diagnostic hits that they can do with their proprietary boxes and take care of things over the phone.

Note: Once I was able to get a tech to arrive on schedule AND with an M-Card it only took one try to get pairing. (Before that they missed two install windows and came once with an HD STB instead of cablecards, so I still had the typical 2 week TiVoHD installation nightmere)

6. Jstkiddn

Oct 15, 2003
    I don't think I can do this because when I try to watch any live tv at all I just get the never ending "acquiring channel list" message. It will eventually stop and give me an error and the choices to try again or go back to tivo central. But it won't allow me to tune in anything with the cablecard in. I can get analog only with the card out.

Cable tech is due here any minute. Wish me luck.

7. mattfoley

mattfoley New Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Wow did you ever get this figured out
    i am having the exact same trouble

Motorola M-Card in new TivoHD
    Stuck on Acquiring Channels screen

and my conditional access screen is also blank below the line that has the
    Con:Yes EBCO:Yes Val:V 0x05

no Auth or any of the other data thats should be below

i don't believe that its downloading the VCTID to the Cablecard
    the Network setup screen VCTID says VCTID:1

VCTID = Virtual Channel Table. ID

8. RoyK

RoyK New Member

Oct 22, 2004
    SW VA
    Same thing I'm seeing. Discussion here.

9. ydc

ydc Member

Nov 17, 2002
    Castle Rock, CO
    For me, I had this issue when they first installed my cablecard but it was because they hadn't yet removed the trap from the cable line outdoors (I had previously only had internet service from Comcast). I'm guessing this isn't the issue for you since you've had a working S2 for 6 years, but thought I'd mention it as this was what I had too.

Beyond that, it would probably be a paring/activation issue as others have said.

Good luck with it!

10. Das Achteck

Das Achteck Member

Mar 8, 2005
    I had that problem with a Moto MCard in an HD. After swapping the TiVo for another one, over a half-dozen cards and several hours on the phone with TiVo techs, several cableco CSRs and techs and finally the top CC guy (who was hitting the card like he was playing a piano) suggested trying two SCards. These were phased out by my cableco and I got two of the last ones available. Bingo. They worked without a hitch.

The cableco is now switching to SA MCards (only) and this sent me into panic mode. But the card came up with both tuners working as soon as I did a hard boot. Go figure.

11. c3

c3 TiVoholic

Sep 8, 2000
    Silicon...
    After the card is inserted into the TiVo, check the Network Setup screen to make sure you are getting the OOB messages. If not, nothing will work.