Stuck in reboot loop

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Gavroche, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Gavroche

Gavroche Member

May 26, 2007
    State of...
    My premiere has been working fine until today. Now it's stuck in a reboot loop. It alternates between "Almost there just a few minutes more..." and "starting up."

I tried kickstart codes by doing this:

power on, green light
    wait for yellow flashing light
    press and release pause
    enter kickstart code (any of them)
    green and yellow flash intermittently for a few seconds...

then it just goes on to "almost there just a few minutes more..."

Kickstart never works.

Has the kickstart procedure been changed with the latest update?

Thanks in advance, anyone!

2. TerpBE

TerpBE Go Terps!

Jan 23, 2003
    Philly 'burbs
    Do you have a slide remote? If so, remove the dongle and try rebooting again.

3. Gavroche

Gavroche Member

May 26, 2007
    State of...
    Nope, just the regular remote. And I removed the wireless adapter.

I left it unplugged for a day and tried the kickstart again tonight, but no luck. It responds to the remote but just doesn't actually go into the kickstart routines. Unless there is a next step after entering the kickstart code?

4. jenz

jenz New Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Curious why you didn't call TiVo yesterday and see what they said? I had the same issue, called TiVo who processed a replacement device.

5. shamilian

shamilian Member

Mar 26, 2003
    NJ
    I just did a kickstart, what you described seems to be the correct procedure. There was no feedback that the kickstart was successful. After entering 57 my screen went blank and after 10 minutes rebooted and started normally. I pulled the plug the during the kickstart because I thought it was stuck, but it seems to have remembered the kickstart and continued it. Depending on the kickstart it can take a long time to finish....

6. Gavroche

Gavroche Member

May 26, 2007
    State of...
    Excellent info! I thought the black screen meant it was locked up... I'll give it a try. Thanks!

7. Gavroche

Gavroche Member

May 26, 2007
    State of...
    Ahh no go... it goes to the black screen for a minute or two and then just reboots and repeats the cycle.

Now I suppose the question is... do I purchase a new tivo, use my old series 3, or just cancel alltogether? I've noticed that the Premiere from tivo is going for $99, but it's cheaper just about anywhere else ($85ish with free shipping).

Tivo used to have an out-of-waranty replacement deal thingy... anyone know if they still offer this and if so what the price is?

8. TiFro

TiFro New Member

Jan 14, 2005
    I'm having the exact same problem, Gavroche.

The only difference is this unit is a TiVo HD, so replacing it wouldn't be possible.

9. jenz

jenz New Member

Sep 19, 2009
    So, you're outside of your 1 year limited warranty?

10. mcorelis

mcorelis New Member

Feb 3, 2003
    My Premiere XL would get most of the way through the boot and hang. Ended up replacing the hard drive and the problem solved. (However a new annoyance appeared; Often (about 30% of the time) when I press the Tivo button, I would get the THX screen. Another press and to the right screen. BTW the new hard drive didn't solve the 'failure to respond to remote' issue.

11. rainbow

rainbow Member

Feb 7, 2008
    check some of the other threads (re animation screens/intro screens)-this issue seems to be a problem with the last update, and not with your tivo or harddrive.

12. TiFro

TiFro New Member

Jan 14, 2005
    On the HD? Yes.

I did a 57 kickstart, didn't find anything wrong as far as I could tell. I haven't used it today - will try it out tonight to see if the problem still persists.