Stuck in KS green screen loop - help!

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Interpol, Mar 21, 2010.

1. Interpol

Interpol New Member

Nov 12, 2007

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

Recently I've been having difficulty with my THD (upgraded to 1TB Seagate AV drive about a year ago). When playing back some shows, the video would freeze at the SAME spot every time, and cause the THD to reboot.

So last night I tried a KS57, and I noticed that the unit would reboot itself repeatedly back to the KS green screen (with the lettering saying the process takes up to 3 hours). After 4-5 hours of this, I decided to try a KS58. Now the KS green screen stays put, but after anotherr 5+ hours it doesn't appear to be doing anything. I tried powering down and rebooting, but the unit now goes back to the KS green screen every time after the "Powering up" and "A few minutes more" messages.

Any suggestions? If this is the HD I have no problem putting in a new one, but would I be able to preserve my recordings off the old drive?

2. wscannell

wscannell Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Could be the hard drive. This could be one of the Seagate drives with the problem firmware. I had one that was installed in my server about a year ago and it just died. Loading new firmware at that point did not fix it. I sent it back to Seagate.

3. Interpol

Interpol New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    The drive is a Seagate SV35.3 ST31000340SV. Not sure if this is one of the models with faulty firmware/QC issues but I'm considering swapping it out for a Western Digital.

The question remains, though - is there any way to salvage the recordings I've got on the Seagate?

4. Interpol

Interpol New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Just to follow up - you were correct. The hard drive was on its last legs and is on its way to Seagate for warranty replacement. In the meantime I ordered a WD WDC15EVDS 1.5TB drive and put it in the TiVo tonight. So far so good - it appears to run cooler and quieter than the Seagate, and more capacity too - 198 hours HD/1733 hours SD.

For a drive that's supposed to be durable, made for video streaming and 24/7 operation, and a 1,000,000 hour MTBF - having the SV35 last less than 8 months is pretty poor IMO. I'm planning to use the replacement from Seagate as a backup drive for the TiVo every couple of months.