stuck in guided setup

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by unique_mystique, Jan 17, 2020.

1. unique_mystique

unique_mystique New Member

Jan 17, 2020
    So my old TiVo HD XL stopped working some time ago (all the lights were blinking non-stop), and a friend gave me a TiVo Premiere (also with lifetime service on it) to replace it. I put the cable card into the other device, called my provider to reactive the card (was just following the instructions on screen), and everything seemed to work well enough until I noticed that the TiVo info wasn't loading - it would invariably disconnect at the "preparing to load" phase and reboot the TiVo.

I googled the issue, and one recommendation I saw was to repeat guided setup. Well, trying to do that was certainly a mistake, because now I am stuck in guided setup, since the connection never completes, and nothing I tried to do has gotten me out of it, including removing the card and rebooting the device. The friend said btw that for him that TiVo worked without any issues.

My mother has another TiVo HD XL which they haven't used in two years due to cord-cutting, and I have arranged with her to mail it to me, but now I am afraid that I'll experience the same issues and end up with another brick.

I have two questions at this point:

1) Is there anything I can do to salvage my friend's TiVo Premiere?
    2) If nothing works with that, how do I set up my mother's TiVo with my cable card so as not to encounter the same sort of problem? I thought it would be as simple as sticking the cable card in, but I am probably wrong.

Thank you.

ETA: I just tried completing set-up again and it errors out sooner now, at "configuring", with alternating errors N17 and N18.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
  2. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
  3. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    These are network errors. It cannot connect. How are you connecting? How was it previously connected? You have to setup the network if it is changed from wired to wireless and vice versa. (In network settings).