Stuck in Guided Setup with SO3 error

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by SoonerOrLater, Oct 6, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Oct 6, 2019 #1 of 28
    SoonerOrLater

SoonerOrLater Member

Nov 8, 2004
    Hi, I still have a Tivo HD (652160) with lifetime service.
    I finally decided to cut the cord, so I bought an OTA HD antenna.
    I installed it first while I still had Spectrum Cable TV (with 1 M-Cable Card and Tuning Adapter), ran a Guided Setup with Cable+Antenna, and my Tivo updated with both line-ups. No problem.
    Then, I removed the Cable Card and Tuning Adapter, and ran Guided Setup again, this time with Antenna Only, and now I get an error S03 at the end of the first connection to the server (while Loading the new data).
    I followed the instructions on screen (unplug the Tivo for 15 seconds and restart Guide Setup), and now I'm stuck in a loop ending with S03 error while Loading data.

Now, I've read a few old threads, and I saw that I should not have ran the Guided Setup then, but it's too late. I think that I should have cleared all data before running the Guided setup with Antenna only, but I didn't so now I'm stuck.
    I've left the Tivo on without cable nor antenna for a couple days, still no go... S03 again.
    Interestingly, the Wifi network is still connected, and I can see the recordings in my Tivo HD from Tivo Desktop (and potentially transfer the non-copyrighted ones), but since Tivo discontinued remote support for the Series 3, I can't do anything else.

I have not yet tried running a KS 57 or 58. Not sure I could even get into KickStart mode in my current situation.
    Should I try this? or would it make things worse?

Is there any way to get out of this loop without loosing all my recordings?

If not, what's the best procedure to re-initialize the hard drive?
    I made a clone many years ago, but I'm not sure it would still work now.
    Do I need a new disk image?

Thanks in advance for any advice/help!

P.S.: I also have a Tivo Premiere 4 (750500) with lifetime service, but it doesn't support OTA Antenna...

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
  2. Oct 6, 2019 #2 of 28
    ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    If you went with a new image, or run Clear & Delete Everything, then your shows would be gone..

3. Oct 7, 2019 #3 of 28
    SoonerOrLater

SoonerOrLater Member

Nov 8, 2004
    Yes, I understand, but that's still better than a bricked Tivo!

I'm looking into the Telnet shell option to clear programming data, but I'm not too familiar with that...

4. Oct 8, 2019 #4 of 28
    Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    Disconnect every thing from the tivo, including the power cord.
    Reconnect Tivo to TV, then reconnect the power and leave it alone for a couple of days.

5. Oct 8, 2019 #5 of 28
    SoonerOrLater

SoonerOrLater Member

Nov 8, 2004
    Thanks!
    I've done that, and it's been 3 days... still S03 :(

6. Oct 8, 2019 #6 of 28
    SoonerOrLater

SoonerOrLater Member

Nov 8, 2004
    I was able to Telnet into my stuck Tivo HD, but it only responds to the IRCODE commands. (for instance the LEFT / RIGHT commands)
    The magic "dbgc-mcp -fg-gc" to initiate Garbage Collection returns an INVALID COMMAND error.
    Am I doing something wrong? or is there another Telnet command that I could use to get out of this S03 Guided Setup loop?

7. Oct 8, 2019 #7 of 28
    ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    This telnet which is on port 31339 is a network remote control function only. AFAIK, there is no other telnet.

8. Oct 9, 2019 #8 of 28
    SoonerOrLater

SoonerOrLater Member

Nov 8, 2004
    ravingfans posted the info below back in 2014, in multiple threads relating to S03 / Guided Setup loop:

How to get out of Guided Setup:
    1. Prerequisite--have to have either a serial cable connection to get a shell or a telnet connection to get a shell on the TiVo--there are plenty of resources to show how to do these options elsewhere.
    2. disconnect the Tuning Adapter and unplug all cable cards
    3. let the TiVo boot up to the Guided Setup entry page, but don't click select with the remote
    4. telnet in to the TiVo (or access through the serial link
    5. type (without quotes):
    dbgc-mcp -fg-gc
    this initiates a garbage collection, and since the Tuning Adapter and CableCards are not connected, it does not distract the TiVo from completing GC

6. WAIT for this command to complete. Took mine several hours
    7. once dbgc-mcp has completed, go through Guided Setup and it should now complete

9. Oct 9, 2019 #9 of 28
    SoonerOrLater

SoonerOrLater Member

Nov 8, 2004
    I just ran a KS 57 but I'm still stuck in the Guided Setup loop / error S03 during Loading.
    Should I try a KS 58 instead?

10. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    That is with the old Series 1 as later models do have serial links.

Aside from losing shows and passes, it would be better/faster to get an image.

11. tommage1

tommage1 Active Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Yeah, that is not good. You say you have a clone? I would make a clone of the clone. Set one aside, put in the other. If you can connect let it run for a few days. Even though it connects and gets to 100% that does not mean it has fully updated, can take a day or two. Not sure how old the clone is, it might even update the software. Once it's up and running let it go for maybe a week to be safe. Then you could TRY switching to OTA. Do not run guided setup or clear and delete on the clone, at least until it has been running for a few days or a week, doing daily connections with no S03s.

Pretty much with an S3 on cable, if you let it sit for an extended period of time you will get S03 when you hook it back up. For DAYS possibly. You just have to leave it, never run guided setup or clear and delete until the S03 is gone. The clone might save you, or possibly an image that will connect without having to run guided setup or clear and delete.

12. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    It may be due to the massive guide data when you have cable.

Basically, not cloning the drive as that would also copy the old guide data as well. Using a new image would be like starting anew. It would be faster then waiting days on end for the error to clear out.

13. tommage1

tommage1 Active Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Correct on the cable, I have switched all my S3 to OTA since they sit around a lot. The cloning, he says he has an OLD clone that has not been used for a long time. That is the one he needs clone and try, not the current drive that is stuck in guided setup, that would do no good. The old clone would almost certainly get S03s for awhile but would not be stuck in guided setup which is pretty much impossible to get out of on an S3. Need to clone the old clone so 3 drives involved really, the current drive stuck in guided setup (just set it aside), the old clone, and a clone of the old clone. That way still have the old clone intact in case things do not work out. The current drive might never work.

14. SoonerOrLater

SoonerOrLater Member

Nov 8, 2004
    OK, where can I get an image for TiVo HD DVR (652160)?
    No risk of loosing my lifetime service, right?

15. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Lifetime is tied to the service number not device.

Image sent.

16. tommage1

tommage1 Active Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Or you could create an image off your OLD clone (assuming it is not stuck in guided setup). That way there will be no issues with drive not matching up with your Tivo, media access key will match. Good luck :)

17. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Note the pre-requisite which you haven't done (ie serial cable connection or full telnet connection to get shell) and I believe the latter required a hacked S3. As was mentioned the telnet connection you are doing is for remote control only and not a shell.

Scott

18. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Those instructions appear to be for an S3/HD since they mention TA and CableCARDS which an S1 would not have. :)

That other forum that talked about hacking S3/HD models had instructions on creating a serial cable for an S3. I saw someone else post that it is no longer up but Google search still brings up a cached post about it from 2007.

upload_2019-10-10_8-15-33.png

Scott

19. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    At this point... are we discounting the possibility of a failing power supply?
    After all this IS a S3 TiVo.

20. lew

lew Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2002
    You can unplug your tivo, wait a few minutes, plug in and do a kickstart. The disk repair will run before guided setup is run. That procedure worked for me.