Stuck in guided setup loop - zip code not recognized/no temporary cable providers listed

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Halfwatt, Sep 3, 2018.

1. Sep 3, 2018 #1 of 16
    Halfwatt

Halfwatt New Member

Sep 3, 2018

Advertisements

Hello All,

Firstly, a big thank you to Joe Kustra for referring me here.

Secondly, while I will try and keep this as brief as possible, this will have a lot of detail up front so as to expedite possible solutions.

We have had a Premier XL for years, which we recently had a cable card installed in with no problems after a move.

We recently purchased another Premier XL from Weakness, the 1TB model, with 90 day Tivo warranty. It was activated a few days ago and I finally tried getting it set up yesterday and have been in guided setup hell for the last 24 hours.

I am connected by hard-wired ethernet connection to the same router that our existing Tivo (which works fine) is connected to. During the period of time that multiple attempts at running guided setup on the new Tivo were attempted, I could ping the Tivo server from the existing, working Tivo. I have attempted to complete guided setup with the other working Tivo disconnected from the network, but the setup still hung at the same place. From the working Tivo I can see the problem Tivo as a device.

The cable card is installed, and the cable channels are viewable in the CableCard setup sequence, prior to continuing with the guided set up. Provider is Charter/Spectrum.

I have attempted to complete guided setup without the cable card installed, but it still hangs at the same place.

I am entering 97463, which is the same zip code which is used by our other working Tivo.

Guided setup always fails/hangs at the point where I am asked to select a temporary cable provider (because my zip code wasn't recognized), but none are listed.

I have tried 00000 but that hasn't worked. I have tried selecting an antenna setup and that hasn't worked either. At one point I had access to the installer setup, but now after rebooting dozens of times it no longer shows up.

I have confirmed existing the software version at the select country screen as 20.3.8-01-2-748.
    I believe the problem is the inability to successfully download and install the latest software.

At the first power up loading took a while to complete. All subsequent re-boots show loading starting 99% and then completing.

Tivo support basically says "you have a bad hard drive" and will provide no further support until I have exchanged the unit for a new one. I don't think is necessarily true, but feel like I have no choice.

I have an RMA from Weaknees and if can't get this resolved in the next few days I will get replacement unit sent and start all over.

Any and all advice will be gratefully accepted. Please ask additional questions as needed.

Thank you all so much,
    Halfwatt

2. Sep 3, 2018 #2 of 16
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Give this a shot: TiVo Kickstart Codes and Information

If you're still dead tomorrow, I would call and ask why they would send out a unit with REALLY old software. Until you get to 20.6.3 I don't think you will get working. The KS 56 may be your only help.

Also, 97492 should also have the same lineup.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
  3. Sep 3, 2018 #3 of 16
    schatham

schatham Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2007
    Tivo is telling you what to do. Start guided set up again and choose another zip code. You input this yourself. Choose a City nearby. Keep choosing zip codes. In my area their are probably 20 zip codes I could use.

Just because your old Tivo can use that zip code things may have changed.

Even a city 50 miles away may have the same cable package.

4. Sep 3, 2018 #4 of 16
    Halfwatt

Halfwatt New Member

Sep 3, 2018
    Thank you Joe - I will give that a shot
    schatham - I have tried numerous zip codes; as per above: existing working Tivo does fine with 97463, but thank you

5. Sep 3, 2018 #5 of 16
    JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...

Advertisements

20.3.8 Release Notes

I added 97492.

6. Sep 3, 2018 #6 of 16
    Halfwatt

Halfwatt New Member

Sep 3, 2018
    Hi Joe,

Thank you for your continuing replies.

I tried KS 56. It didn't seem to work, but I didn't get alternating amber/blue - just alternating amber/green - did I miss something, or not initiate process correctly ?

Roger on 97492 - are you saying I should try that ? I have tried a variety of zip codes (though not that one) and none work, including 97463, which works on the existing Tivo.

Understand what you are saying about the software version. Since I can get no support from Tivo until I have a new unit to try, I will proceed with the RMA, but will call Weaknees tomorrow regarding sending out units with old software.

Thank you so much for your advice !

7. Sep 3, 2018 #7 of 16
    JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Getting the KS to work can be tricky. Try with 54 since it just gives you a menu. Yes, when it works the amber and green lights blink rapidly. I tried it last week on my old Premiere, so they seem to still work. BTW, I think I suggested 97492 which I got from Google Maps.

During power up, when you see the amber flashing, hit Pause. That stops the amber blinking. Then enter the numbers. Forget the part about "timing".

I just tried again. There's about a minute delay before the S.M.A.R.T. menu displays with the 54 code. Left exits,

8. Sep 3, 2018 #8 of 16
    Halfwatt

Halfwatt New Member

Sep 3, 2018
    OK, just did as requested. Now I have a black and white hard drive diagnostic screen....

Not sure how to proceed - thanks

9. Sep 3, 2018 #9 of 16
    JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    That shows you how KS works. Use Down/Left to exit. Pull the power. Apply power and use 56 next time. If that fails, I'm unhappy with Weaknees for sending you a non-functioning unit.

10. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    This morning there were about six really weird posts from first-time members. I wasn't sure where to start. I'm glad you showed up. But forget using TiVo's support forums. They are a total waste of time. Even worse than TiVo's usual support. I use Twitter for best responses.

11. Halfwatt

Halfwatt New Member

Sep 3, 2018
    Thank you so much Joe. Re-did KS56 and wound up at the same place as all previous attempts.

Thank you for all of your advice so far. We'll see what happens with Weaknees. I will call and talk with them about software versions before sending the unit back.

I will post back when there is something new to report, hopefully ultimate success. I don't do twitter so I am stuck with contacting Tivo by phone, as their email page to report incidents doesn't seem to go anywhere and the chat person told me to call.

Have a good rest of your day.
    Best Regards,
    Halfwatt (Brian)

JoeKustra likes this.
  12. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Try KS 52.

kpeters59 likes this.
  13. Halfwatt

Halfwatt New Member

Sep 3, 2018
    ThAbtO - Tried that and it was a no go, but thank you just the same

14. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Kickstarts can be tricky to get in to. You only have about 10 seconds to enter the code after pressing Pause at the right time.

kpeters59 likes this.
  15. Halfwatt

Halfwatt New Member

Sep 3, 2018
    ThAbtO - Understood. I think I have that part down because previously, at Joe's suggestion, I tried KS54 and was able to get to the hard drive diagnostic menu. But thank you very much for your continued thoughts and suggestions. I am still all ears.

16. Halfwatt

Halfwatt New Member

Sep 3, 2018
    SUCCESS !!

I received my Premier back from Weaknees. They reformatted the drive and this time it came loaded with software version
    20.7.4.RC2-748-2-748 (it originally came with 20.3.8-01-2-748 !).

Setup went smoothly and accepted my zipcode no problem.

Thanks to all who responded with advice and suggestions, and especially Joe Kustra, who kept me pointed in the right direction.

Thanks again,
    Halfwatt/Brian

kpeters59 and JoeKustra like this.