Stuck at "Powering Up", can't kickstart

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by vanclute, Aug 20, 2011.

1. vanclute

vanclute Member

Aug 3, 2003
    I have a Philips DIrecTivo Series 2 (DSR 70 or something like that? Can't remember and getting to the back is difficult with my setup). Was an empty unit and drive kit purchased from DVRupgrade.com years ago.

This morning it suddenly froze up completely while my wife was watching a program. Power cycling results in the grey Powering Up screen, forever.

The LEDs are green from the moment it's turned on, and never change.

I've powered it down for 20-30 minutes, no change.

I've left it powered on for a while - no change.

Since I can't enter Kickstart to run any tests, what can I do? This is a terribly inconvenient time to have to deal with this (like there's ever a convenient time right??)

Any suggestions are much appreciated... thanks!

2. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    You can probably go to tivopedia and compare pictures to see which model you have.

Sounds like either the hard drive has gone bad or one of the output sections of the power supply has gone bad.

Either way, you're going to have to extract it from its cubbyhole.

Suggest you take note of the end of the power cord that plugs into the back of the TiVo, go pick up another one at Radio Shack, and get an outlet strip with a switch for your TiVo test rig. One of those little black and white battery operated tv's is handy to have as well.

There have been several different model TiVos, both satellite and stand alone, known for one or more capactitors in the power supply going bad, and I wouldn't be a bit surprised if that wasn't your problem, although it could be your hard drive, or maybe even both, but you need to open it up and take a good look at the caps, and pull the drive and hook it to a pc and run the manufacturer's diagnostics.

Google "tivo bad capacitor", "tivo capacitor disease", "tivo power supply capacitor", "tivo low esr capacitor", and such to learn how to spot a bad cap and what to look for in a replacement.

Do you have any experience with a soldering iron? Own a multimeter? Know what a multimeter is? Know about capacitor polarity?

Not trying to be snarky, I just don't want you to electrocute yourself, start a fire, or cause your TiVo to be more damaged than it already is.

3. vanclute

vanclute Member

Aug 3, 2003
    Appreciate the suggestions. I forgot to mention that I actually swapped out the PS once before maybe 6 or 7 months ago, though I did so with someone else's very old (and slightly different model) tivo that still had a working same-model PS. I might have gotten THAT PS at the end of it's life as well... who knows.

I've definitely spent some time with soldering irons and multimeters - thing is I suck with the iron (and not much better with the meter! LOL) How I passed high school electronics, frankly I'll never know.

The idea of trying to look for a bad cap seriously doesn't appeal to me. If odds are good that is indeed what's happened I'd rather just look for another replacement PS.

My big concern is the drive has died. I'd like to think that's not as likely given that it was a brand new drive when I got it - but that *was* something like 4 years ago.

The last time I monkeyed with connecting a tivo drive to my PC (many years ago when I upgraded our original SA Tivo) it was really not for the faint of heart. Have the tools for doing so gotten significantly better by now?

When I looked for new replacement PS units last time, they seemed unreasonably expensive, but I may not have a better option. At least it was really obviously the PS last time - unit wouldn't even power up.

4. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Let's start with finding out for sure which model you have.

You're going to have to bring it out of wherever it is anyway, no matter how you go about fixing it.

5. vanclute

vanclute Member

Aug 3, 2003
    OK will get to that ASAP, have a lot of work the next 24 hours or so, won't be able to think about this until tomorrow night. Thanks again, will post back!

6. vanclute

vanclute Member

Aug 3, 2003
  7. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I'm not accustomed to seeing cable pricing referred to as attractive.

8. vanclute

vanclute Member

Aug 3, 2003
    LOL yeah I was actually pretty shocked myself. But with the combination of a reduction on my internet bill for having multiple services, and the MSD discount from Tivo, I'll come out paying almost exactly the same as DirecTV (maybe even slightly less) but finally have some features we've been wanting for a very long time, and be on much more current hardware.

The one thing I don't like about the pricing is that Comcast is saying the price for a basic TV package will be $70/month after the first year!! And that's just insane... but I know how these things tend to work, so I'll call them when my 12 months is up and negotiate a new deal, just like I've always done with DirecTV and my various phone & data plans in the past.

9. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Good luck with that. YMMV, but in my experience, Comcast's customer retention policy is ,shall we say?, less aggressive than DirectTV's.

10. vanclute

vanclute Member

Aug 3, 2003
    Heh... appreciate the warning. ;) Guess I'll just have to roll the dice. If the upcoming DTivo was the same hardware and capabilities as the current Premier boxes, I'd probably stick with DTV just to avoid the hassle, but the new DTV boxes are quite unimpressive to me, which is a real shame...

11. vanclute

vanclute Member

Aug 3, 2003
    HAH and wouldn't you know it? I ordered my new Tivos and cable service today, but just couldn't stand to leave the dead DirecTivo alone... so I tried to get into Kickstart a few more times, finally got in, did a 57, and VOILA it's back.

I'm still glad I'm switching as we'll gain a bunch of features we really want for very little additional cost, but now I need to figure out what to do with not one but TWO spare old DTivos.