Struggling with v52 and v53 errors on new TiVo Bolt OTA

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by rts, Mar 30, 2020.

1. rts

rts New Member

Mar 30, 2020
    I've set-up the TiVo OTA (also got a couple of minis) to finally upgrade the terrible picture quality of my amazon recast. While happy with the picture quality of the TiVo, I'm struggling with v52 and v53 errors. I keep getting the message "problem with the signal on this channel trying again. v53" at several channels randomly when I change channels. The TiVo channel strength is pretty good 67-72 (Amazon recast, which is feeding through the same OTA coaxial cable, has no problem around reception at all). I have gone through various threads here as well as suggestions on other forums ... and did the reboot drill a few time to fix this ... but it keeps happening again - very annoying. Did complete system reset as well - seems like after a few channel changes, the tuners just get locked to certain channels, and show error v53 for others. Anyone else has similar issues or suggestions? Thanks.

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Sometimes Tivo guide data is set for channels on another frequency (station could be transitioning to a new frequency)
    Unlike a standard TV which scanning would get you the reception when they change frequency and you have to re-scan to keep up. Tivo can re-scan but the guide would be for the old channel, picture will be on the new scanned channel. If you look in the Channels List, you may find more than 1 entry for the channel, one on old frequency, other on new and no guide, can't record except manual record.

3. rts

rts New Member

Mar 30, 2020

Thanks.

Once of the channels with v53 error does have duplicate stations (2 7.1s and I have only checked the main one). However most other channels locked to error v53 do not have any duplicates in the channel list.

Even if it's the guide mismatch issue, what do you think is the solution to be able to watch those channels?

4. 3 Cushion John

3 Cushion John New Member

Oct 15, 2019
    I had a signal strength issue on bolt vox witch was 92%. Everyone said not to worry, it's good. Fine.
    But I have 2 bolt vox's: 1 is 6 tuner, 1 is 4 tuner. So 6 tuner VOX was 100% and 4 tuner VOX was 92%. Comcast vs FIOS. Not OTA.
    To my amazement, I swapped them and the signal strength followed and stayed at 92% on the 4 tuner VOX.
    So my result is that 6 tuner bolt vox has an inherently stronger (100%) signal strength. At least for me. I check it occasionally and it's always about the same on both VOXs.
    Just FYI