Strike Back on Cinemax

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by pjenkins, Aug 30, 2011.

1. pjenkins

pjenkins God bless Texas :)

Mar 8, 1999
    Plano, TX, USA
    Anyone catch this show at all? Original Cinemax production, I watched it on Demand the other night and kinda liked it. Some gratuitous nudity/sex, which is always a favorite of mine (ha!) but the storyline has been kind of fun to date and the last show ended on a bit of a cliffhanger that if they go through with it, would remind me of Game of Thrones a bit (yes, it's not at all like GoT, but that particular story element would be similar!)

2. Hcour

Hcour Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2007
    I think this was actually a UK show last season (first season) then Cinemax took over or something. The first season had no sex or nudity at all, while the first two eps of this season had it all the over place, so much so it was silly. It's still a good actioner, but not as good as that first season.

3. Idearat

Idearat Active Member

Nov 26, 2000
    Gilroy
  4. pjenkins

pjenkins God bless Texas :)

Mar 8, 1999
    Plano, TX, USA
    Just finished the first season on Max. Great ending, pretty decent show overall, a bit thin in certain plot points, but otherwise well done. Looking forward to what they do next season, especially with the Major now gone...

5. DavidTigerFan

DavidTigerFan No, not Detroit. TCF Club

Aug 18, 2001
    Charleston, SC
    The colonel is the one that died.

6. Nov 6, 2011 #6 of 17
    MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    Hey! SPOILERS!

I just started watching in VoD. I'm at episode 3.

Having seen enough fo these I knew right away that that talkative hostage was another terrorist.

We're getting to be untwistable

(I already figured out the Major.).
    It looks good but Homeland is better.

When will those ruthless murdering, bloodthirsty terrorists who are repeatedly shooting hostages at random realize they need to just shoot our heroes who have killed their guys? "No. Let's give him yet another opportunity to rise up, kill our guy(s) and take his gun."

7. Nov 6, 2011 #7 of 17
    LiveBlues

LiveBlues Master Blaster

Oct 30, 2001
    Clinton, UT
    I enjoyed the first season on Cinemax. I'll queue up the next season when it comes around.

8. Nov 7, 2011 #8 of 17
    Anubys

Anubys All About Footwork

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    I bumped into this show by accident a week or so ago. The nudity caught my attention :D but then it was clear that it was also a good show. So I downloaded all the episodes from ondemand and plowed through about 7-8 shows in one sitting. Really good show and it made my SP list.

I find the fighting scenes a bit much, especially when the bad guys just leave cover and run straight at the good guys (who oblige by killing them, of course). But if you suspend a little belief, it's a real guilty pleasure.

9. MikeAndrews

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    The biggest recurring laugh is just as our TWO heroes are in a life or death firefight with automatic weapons blazing chopping down dozens of the bad guy's minions wholesale, the good Colonel back at her cozy HQ, not even in the same country looking at a TV screen screams to them, "What's happening? REPORT!!!" and even better, "Your orders are to capture. Not kill!"

"We're a little busy, you b*!!!"

Watching the preview, I'm amused that the American is played by an Aussie and the Brit is played by an American. I'm amused every time how easy they find it to do the accents.

Spoiler only up to the end of the second episode:
    So they have incredible, high-speed face recognition systems on the computers but they not only didn't know what the Pakistani security guy they let in and gave complete access to their secret lair looked like, they didn't know that the guy they're chasing was standing right there in his place?

Spoiler up to episode 4
    Our heroes go on gun blazing car chase through downtown, mowing down civilians and shooting the real guy, but the Irish terrorist bad guy never heard about it - not only when they raced to meet him, but even as our hero was being vetted as the guy he shot?

Spoiler up to episode 7:
    They go into the drug dealer's compound to steal a truck and shoot everyone and he calmly sends in secret cronies to offer them a ride out. I guess all is forgiven and the minions are replacable.

I'll take it as mental bubble gum.

The acting is pretty good - especially the bad guys - and the plots are original for once.

10. LlamaLarry

LlamaLarry Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 30, 2003
    Northern...
    Really enjoyed this show, so much so that I "acquired" Season 1 - I had no idea it was Season 2 until after I had finished it. :D

11. Hcour

Hcour Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2007
    Season one is much better than two, before Cinemax took it over. It's still a good show, but not nearly as good as that first season.

12. MikeAndrews

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    The Cinemax web site for Strike Back, where you can watch online: http://www.cinemax.com/strike-back/

I went to look up the cast and crew but there's no obvious link to it:
    http://www.cinemax.com/strike-back/cast-crew/
    Notice that Major Oliver Sinclair is a Captain.

Philip Winchester - playing the British Sgt. Stonebridge - is indeed and American, even though he has trained and performed in London.

or is he?
    Yep. Born in Montana.
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0934618/bio
    "I always wanted to see Montana."

Sullivan Stapleton, playing the American Damien Scott, is an Aussie.

The rest are British with BBC and theater experience.

13. Anubys

Anubys All About Footwork

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    So was season two a reboot?

14. MikeAndrews

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    I just saw on Wikipedia that the first season of Strike Back was a 6 episode series on Sky1 in the UK featuring "John Porter"...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strike_Back_(TV_series)

...with nothing on the Sky/Cinemax 10 episode second season which we're watching?

The third season will be in 2012.

15. MikeAndrews

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    Isn't this Sgt. Stapleton? [EDIT: No. It's Sam Worthington of Avatar.]

16. Thom

Thom Unemployed and loving it !

Jun 5, 2000
    Southern Calif.
  17. retrodog

retrodog King Button Pusher

Feb 7, 2002
    At the gun...
    Just finished watching the latest season for this show on skinimax. I like it a lot. Good action and originality. The shaped outward charge was a little close to jumping the shark but an interesting explanation for why they did it. Oh well, I will continue to watch it.