Streaming vs. Transferring Protocols

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by hugetivofan, Apr 1, 2013.

1. hugetivofan

hugetivofan New Member

Feb 24, 2001

Advertisements

Does anyone know how Tivos handle streaming (clicking "play" when on a show on a networked dvr) vs. transferring? They seem to have different network requirements. I can transfer shows from tivo to tivo but I can't stream. Have some unique issues on my home network. I've searched for this across the internet but can't find this specific question/answer. A lot of discussion of Bonjour and Tivo Beacon, but often in unrelated areas like re Tivo Desktop. Any help would be appreciated. Trying to figure out what I need to make sure is getting passed through to make it work.

2. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    I'm going to take a wild guess and say that at least one of the TiVos is not a Premiere. Streaming is only supported between Premieres or Premiere and Mini.

3. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    1st requirement is both TiVos have to be series 4. If you have any part of the path from 1 TiVo to another as wireless then that can be a problem. Other than that you should go to Network History page to check your MRV transfer rates which should be north of 80 Mbps for a "healthy" network. If all that checks out I don't see any reason for MRS (streaming) not to work.

4. PCurry57

PCurry57 Liberal Hippie Chick

Feb 27, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    Transferring "can be" much slower that streaming for errors. It will handle retrains and collision errors differently. Streaming will not retrain/re-transmit it requires a big fat pipe period, excessive errors will shut it down.

It might help if we knew a little about your network. Most persons have issues with wireless in large part because the common wireless band (2.4ghz) is crowded. Channel number range from 1-11 in North America, but the channels overlap. Add the the popular Bluetooth devices also overlap in this same frequency range. In my complex there are 11 other wireless networks on the 2.4ghz band clustered on channels 1, 6 and 11. Due to cross traffic and collisions a sustained wireless connection of sufficient quality is unlikely. It is for this reason the TiVo does not support streaming over wireless.

Now if you upgrade your wireless network to DUAL band and add a dual band bridge either 5ghz N or the new 5ghz AC wireless changes drastically. the 5ghz band does not have the range that the 2.4gnz band has the channels however do not overlap. I can tell you from experience that in the three locations I've lived since upgrading I have never seen another 5ghz SSID.

I have tried both laying a long wire around the baseboard connecting both Tivo's on the same wired switch and each on an independent wireless bridge 5ghz N [300] {243-270 actual} with no difference in performance.

Even though I've had no issues with my Dual N [300x300] I have been contemplating upgrading as my router and media bridges are aging to either an N900 [450x450] router and a N450 Media bridge or a newer AC Router [450x1300] and a Media AC Bridge [1300]. The new AC currently draft standard brings gigabit wireless minus the overhead an AC1300 could maintain 1170Mps. More than ample for several HD streams concurrently.

Granted Dual band N and AC cost more, as most people are not willing to go the extra expense those that do benefit from being as Lone Rangers in the 5Ghz band, lol. Given that perhaps AC is a bit more than you'd like to spend. With the advent of Dual Band N750 [300x450] and N900 [450x450]; N600 has come down significantly router and bridge each costing around $70. Don't want to switch your router some Media Bridges can act as a 5Ghz access point.

Wireless can work very well provided your ready to jump into Dual Band; it requires an investment though just as pulling wire cat 5/6 or MOCA does. btw a number of tablets and Apple iPad mini + the latest iPad's support 5Ghz band also. The soon to be released Galaxy S IV goes beyond just having 5Ghz a/n by adding AC

5. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...

Advertisements

Agree.
    No problems since upgrading to simultaneous dual band router and bridge.

6. hugetivofan

hugetivofan New Member

Feb 24, 2001
    Thanks for all the replies. I shouldn't have been so cryptic. I have all premieres and all wired Ethernet. However I have a VPN in between the two tivos (I think I probably shouldn't discuss too much on that here). The last transfer I did was 35 Mbps, which is in line with my bandwidth. But streaming has never worked, only transferring. I assumed there is a different network protocol to make streaming work that isn't getting passed through the VPN. But it sounds like the group here is saying you need more bandwidth - are you sure this is it? So for example I can stream from my tivo to my iPad on my local wifi, which tests at 10 Mbps (understand it is a different application of course). Any thoughts?

7. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I know nothing about the protocols, but this sounds very similar to the discussion of trying to get the Tivo Stream to work over VPN. Basically, apparently VPNs aren't as "invisible pipe between the two networks" as people thought.

8. hugetivofan

hugetivofan New Member

Feb 24, 2001
    Thanks mattack. I had seen that thread but hadnt made the connection to my issue. I've re-read it and it may be the same problem. Will work on it some more.

9. hugetivofan

hugetivofan New Member

Feb 24, 2001
    So I'm pretty sure the other thread is not my issue. My VPN works - I can see all the tivos and can transfer shows. In the other thread they are trying to achieve this, but for a different purpose. Since I can see all the tivos, I assume bonjour/mdns is working. So what would stop streaming from tivo to tivo? Or am I incorrect re bonjour/mdns?