Streaming sources passwords

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Tom Claffy, Jan 23, 2017.

Who would like to manage their Tivo streaming service accounts online rather that on the Tivo box?

1. Yes

4 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. Tom Claffy

Tom Claffy New Member

Jan 23, 2017

Advertisements

So having some sites are high value targets for hackers, I use a password vault and my passwords are very strong. very possibly up to 100 characters for Amazon for instance. So in order for me to add Amazon Prime to my new Bolt+ I either have to lower my security level to a manageable password or attempt the impossible task of manually entering 100 characters. Even on a USB keyboard this is a daunting task. Why oh why oh why can't I edit this information online where I have full access to my vault? Tivo has access to my box. Why oh why or why is there not a simple interface on line for me to activate and maintain this data?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
  2. mrizzo80

mrizzo80 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2012
    I know a couple of the apps (YT and Amazon...I think) are setup so that you don't have to enter your password - it will give a ~6 digit code on the screen and you go to the provider site "activation" page (youtube.com/activate maybe? going from memory here) and enter the code.

100 character passwords for anything seems kind of ridiculous IMO. I think my strongest passwords are no more than 16 characters.

3. MacBrian

MacBrian Active Member

Feb 24, 2002
    Kansas
    Heh...100 characters or 16 characters...in my experience you've only got a few months before *something* updates *somewhere* and you'll be required to re-authenticate. This usually happens to me when there is a room full of family members and everyone's waiting for ME to look up the password and laboriously re-authenticate before the show can start! I'm constantly annoyed by the number of times I have to re-enter an authentication for no apparent reason other than there was a software update that didn't manage to honor or remember my previous authentication. Sloppy programming, IMHO, but I suppose it serves a purpose and might be a good thing...but given that there's no password manager that will let you copy/paste a super-secure password into your TiVo...a more manageable password length would be to your advantage, and it could still be secure.

4. Tom Claffy

Tom Claffy New Member

Jan 23, 2017
    I actually looked at Amazon earlier today and there is no support for the Bolt+. For a non financial site, your 16 character password may be OK, but unless I am wrong here, the Prime account password IS my Amazon password so I'm not real keen on using a simplified password to satisfy Tivo. I was just shocked that I could not edit all of this online in my account at Tivo.com. Maybe Tivo Bolt+ is a mistake? I don't need another PITA.

5. Aero 1

Aero 1 Active Member

Aug 8, 2007

Advertisements

it is simple, you just need to problem solve.

i use lastpass. i open lastpass on my iphone, i copy the password from the app, i open the tivo app, i paste the password into the tivo app, the tivo app fills in the password on the tivo, i log in.

easy, no need to overthink this, especially since tivo has no control over secure logins from their partners and you know there is no way in hell that Amazon is going to let Tivo be a middleman to make it easy for you to manage amazon login information.

You seem to have a grasp in the importance of strong passwords and what not, so you should know that no company will let a middle man manage their logins. Thats a recipe for a middleman attack.

cybergrimes likes this.
  6. Tom Claffy

Tom Claffy New Member

Jan 23, 2017
    I am not talking about logging into tivo.com. I am talking about authorizing the streaming services on the tivo box. It should be in my account on tivo.com. Now if you know somewhere on tivo.com that I can access those services and authorize them online then that is exactly what I am looking for but Tivo support told me today there is no such interface. i.e, entering the credential for Amazon, Hulu, Netflix so the box can access those services.

7. ajwees41

ajwees41 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE

only way today is going through the app on the Tivo box

8. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Yeah this is app dependent. Several of them do allow the app to generate some sort of code you can enter into the app providers website rather then having to type your user/password directly into the app itself.

9. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    "every" ... on every TiVo box. There's zero app login management with TiVo whole home solution.

10. ajwees41

ajwees41 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE

wasn't Amazon like that in the beginning? were you would go to www,amazon.com/TiVo and input the code from the Amazon app on the Tivo.

11. Number528

Number528 Member TCF Club

Oct 6, 2011
    FiOS,...
    Just went through it last week. Go to www.amazon.com/mytv and put in the code from the Tivo.

cybergrimes likes this.