Streaming shows between 2 premieres?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by jshore, Oct 10, 2011.

1. jshore

jshore Member

Aug 17, 2003
    I tried searching forum for answer, so apologies if i just missed it...

but with the new premiere elite coming out, i saw something about streaming copyrighted shows between 2 tivos... is this something that, while technically not supported by tivo, is actually possible?

I have two premiere units and would love to be able to stream copyright-protected shows... considering everything except for broadcast networks is copyright-protected with Cox Arizona...

2. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    They released an update a couple months ago that enabled this, but then they quickly released another version which disabled it. During the time it was available people found it to be buggy and unreliable, so we assume they disabled it because it wasn't ready but that it will return in a future update when it is.

Dan

3. jshore

jshore Member

Aug 17, 2003
    thanks!

4. lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    Silly question: How do you tell if a show has copyright protection before trying to transfer it? I've only transferred a few TV shows and cable channel movies (e.g.: SyFy Channel, TCM, etc., not premium channel stuff) and never had an issue.

5. sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Streaming of shows will be working once 14.9 is released to the Premiere ecosystem. I see to be the only person who has this currently working on my TiVo Premiere Elite running 14.9 software.

You can tell a show is restricted from copying/transferring by the red circle in 14.8. In 14.9 it informs you that its restricted from copying/transferring in the information on the program as well as you can see in the screen shot below.

[​IMG]

When a show isn't restricted from copying/transferring it looks like this image.

[​IMG]

~Sam

6. lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    So far the only red circles I've seen is when I use my S2DT to look at the Now Playing folder for my S3HD or Premiere. That's because the recorded shows are in HD which the S2 can't play. I'll keep an eye out to see if any red circles show up between the S3HD and the Premiere.

7. PrimeRisk

PrimeRisk TechnoGeek

Dec 16, 2002
    Denver, CO...
    Umm... I'm on 14.8c and I have streaming enabled.

[​IMG]

8. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    Very interesting. Do you have an Elite in addition to the Premieres?

9. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Can you hit play on a folder to stream a whole folder (sequentially)?

10. sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    No. The streaming screen is a SD screen that lists each program individually.

11. PrimeRisk

PrimeRisk TechnoGeek

Dec 16, 2002
    Denver, CO...
    No, I only have two stock 45 Hour Premieres.

12. PrimeRisk

PrimeRisk TechnoGeek

Dec 16, 2002
    Denver, CO...
    I haven't tried...I'll do that when I get home.

13. PrimeRisk

PrimeRisk TechnoGeek

Dec 16, 2002
    Denver, CO...
    Yes, it's an SD screen, but I do get groups.

14. PrimeRisk

PrimeRisk TechnoGeek

Dec 16, 2002
    Denver, CO...
    I can confirm that you can't have it continuously stream a folder/group of shows right now.

15. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    And, FWIW, right now I can't stream between two Elites! :(

16. PrimeRisk

PrimeRisk TechnoGeek

Dec 16, 2002
    Denver, CO...
    Two Elites...8 concurrent recordings...guess you don't have any conflict issues! Are you going through the regular Now Playing screen and browsing to the remote TiVo? I was totally surprised to see the "Play" option for restricted recordings. BTW, SD recordings are beautiful...just like they are on the local machine. HD...well, I may need to look into my network performance a bit cause there are some issues.

Maybe I shouldn't ask, but how do you have them already? I thought the Elites were released only today.

What S/W version are you on?

17. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    Got them at Best Buy Sunday (first sale day) and Monday. Software 14.9-B4.

There is a thread on the Elite and initial experiences here.

18. PrimeRisk

PrimeRisk TechnoGeek

Dec 16, 2002
    Denver, CO...
    Interesting... I looked at the BB website and it didn't list an Elite in stock within 100 miles of Denver. Guess I should have run over to the Southlands...

Edit: Ok...so Southlands Best Buy is doing their best to NOT sell Elites. They don't have them out on the shelf nor do they even have one on display with the other DVRs. BUT that may have worked in my favor as they had one in stock and I'm going through setup now!

19. PrimeRisk

PrimeRisk TechnoGeek

Dec 16, 2002
    Denver, CO...
    Doh! Well, I haven't received 14.9 yet, but someone put the kibosh on my MRS between my stock Premieres. It was nice while it lasted. :rolleyes:

I hope we get it back soon!