Streaming Series 3 -> Series 2

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by jpascone, Jun 15, 2010.

1. jpascone

jpascone New Member

Oct 8, 2001
    Santa...

Advertisements

I have a series 3 I wish to use as a host and place other units around the house. Can I simply put Series 2 units on the wires then stream from the 3 to these units? Does the stream happen in real time? Many Thanks!
    Jeffrey

2. csm10495

csm10495 Badoop Badoop!

Nov 15, 2008
    If all are hooked up to the internet then yes.. sort of. All boxes have to have a TiVo Subscription and even then you can stream SD to series 2 boxes not HD. The S2's cannot play back HD videos. SD transfers depend on your internet speed, but most people can watch in real time during the file copy. (The file copies from the S3 to S2 and vis-versa.)

3. pdonoghu

pdonoghu Member

Mar 5, 2003
    Upper...
    Just to be clear, the content is not streamed. It is copied from one Tivo to another. At the end of the process, there will be a copy of the show on both Tivos.

You didn't specifically ask, but just in case, all the Tivos have to have active subscriptions, need to be on the same account, and on the same network subnet. As the previous poster stated, you can not transfer HD content to an S2, there is no down conversion process. You also can not transfer copy protected material.

If all you want to do is remotely play content, you might want to look into a Sling Box for the Tivo end, and a Sling Catcher on the receiving end. This is true streaming over the network with no limitations on the content. There are no monthly subscription fees with Sling. As far as the Tivo is concerned, it is playing a show. Since the Tivo can only play one show at a time, and a Sling Box's stream can only be received by one device at a time, you would be limited to remotely watching on one TV. Instead of a Sling Catcher on the receiving end, you could use a computer with the free Sling software.