Streaming from Tivo to a laptop

Discussion in 'TiVo Stream' started by az1097, Feb 14, 2015.

1. az1097

az1097 Member

Apr 3, 2013

Advertisements

I posted this question in the "Tivo Help Center", perhaps I Should've done it here instead, so hear it goes: How can I stream from a Premiere or a Roamio to a laptop rather to an IOS or Android device?

2. just4fn44

just4fn44 Member

Dec 28, 2006
    you can't unless you stream thru a slingbox

3. az1097

az1097 Member

Apr 3, 2013
    Are there any disadvantages using a Slingbox instead of a Tivo Stream?

4. dbtom

dbtom Member

Feb 14, 2002
    New York City
    I was just able to do this using the TiVo App and DuOS for Android emulation. Seems to work pretty well. I'm using a Surface Pro 2 running Windows 8.1. The program costs $10 but its a lot cheaper than buying another laptop.

I also have a Slingbox. Primary advantage of the TiVo app is much better controls. Slingbox tends to stream with better quality for me even in home.

5. passname22

passname22 New Member

Feb 17, 2015

Advertisements

you should stream from IOs/android and PC for FREE. why are you charging extra for Pc after customers bought tivo stream. YOu can stream live tv using slingtv, pay $20 for bunch of channels and you don't have to pay for cable box or tivo. TIVO if u want customers to stay. Allow live TV streaming from our tivo box.

6. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    What the heck are you talking about?

You can stream from a Tivo to iOS and Android. That is included with the stream device.

The sling suggestion was to get it to devices which are not supported by Tivo, like a windows laptop.

7. passname22

passname22 New Member

Feb 17, 2015
    that was my point, you can stream tivo using computer but they charge software for it. I'm just saying it should be free. They should use HTML5 so we can stream without downloading any application. I want to stream live tv when I go on vacation.

8. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Who is "they"?

Tivo will let you copy to a PC (when the flags are not set) using their own and user-created software, but does not provide streaming to a PC. At all, even with a fee.

So, you can stream on vacation to the requisite devices, Android/iOS, that is it. However, you may want to look at the Amazon fire thread, as it seems that may work well for your needs.

If you want features from a slingbox, then get one. It's a different service than tivos.

9. SugarBowl

SugarBowl Member

Jan 4, 2007
    north carolina
    I'm about to try this. There is a 30 day trial to see if it works. Any tricks to get it to work ?
    http://www.amiduos.com/

10. SugarBowl

SugarBowl Member

Jan 4, 2007
    north carolina
    Wow! DuOS works pretty well. I was able to stream copy protected shows from the Tivo to my win 8 laptop.

Some of the text in the tivo app is a little hard to read when in portrait mode, but landscape mode fixed it.

DuOS was telling me that i needed to remove the HyperV feature for better performance. And by better, they mean anything other than a blank screen. I was getting nothing but a blank screen until i uninstalled HyperV.

11. dbtom

dbtom Member

Feb 14, 2002
    New York City
    Yeah, DuOS works shockingly well for me. I had tried BlueStacks in the past and the performance was terrible. DuOS makes me think that Microsoft will probably build something like this into the OS in the future. I paid the $10. Well worth it.

12. HarperVision

HarperVision TiVo's Italian Cuz!

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    Very cool! Is there anything similar to this, but for iOS apps so I can use the download feature in the TiVo app? (I know I can just download directly, but I want a smaller, streamable file that will be created by the TiVo Stream from a remote location.....long story ;) )

13. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    If you are an Apple Developer, you can get an iOS simulator, but it only runs on Macs. I don't know of any way to run iOS apps in Windows.

14. HarperVision

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    Thanks Arcady. :) I tried DuOS and for some reason whenever I would go into the My Shows and To Do folders it would only allow me to see the first folder in the list, in my case Vikings which was being recorded, and it was already expanded out showing all the episodes. Normally I have folders set so I would have to click on it to expand it. It wouldn't allow me to go any further down I to the list. I could only go as far down as I could see on screen, so I couldn't see or try any other shows. I did try playing one of the Viking episodes but the video was abysmal, stuttering and fuzzy, looking like it was only about 128Kbps or something. Any ideas? Are there any settings I can play with?

I was able to accomplish what the OP was asking for though. I just downloaded the TiVo-to-Go plugin for Plex and ran that on my PC and was able to stream directly from my TiVo Roamio+ and surprisingly also from my remote Roamio+ located in Philly using the public IP there along with my MAK. So this also answers and helps me with a big issue I've been working on with my normally used Slingbox! :up: I don't know why no one suggested this here or in the many times I brought it up in other threads. It does EXACTLY what I've been trying to accomplish! I'm able to sustain 8+Mbps streams using TTG Plex plugin from Philly whereas when I try to use my Slingbox 350, it maxes out at 3.1Mbps. Further proof that Comcast is throttling Slingbox streams if you ask me. Another cool side benefit is that I can now stream to my Rokus too.

15. SugarBowl

SugarBowl Member

Jan 4, 2007
    north carolina
    have you tried DuOS recently? Maybe there were bugs with older versions ? I just installed it on 4 machines with success.

Some of my notes and issues..

1 - the tivo app requires a wifi connection, so if you're on an ethernet wired desktop, you need to run the DuOS config tool, go to advanced, and select Simulate Network.

2 - On 1 machine, I get some warnings at DuOS startup about my graphics driver being out of date (DuOS still works fine)

3 - on another machine, it keeps telling me i need to enable virtualization in the bios. I have done that, but it keeps complaining (DuOS still works fine)

4 - on my dell venue 8 pro touch tablet, the video playback is dropping frames.

5 - play with the config tool and change the screen size, maybe that will fix your issues of only seeing 1 folder.

6 - increase the ram in the config tool

16. HarperVision

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    I just tried it last night with a fresh install.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll give them a try when I get a chance.

17. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    I have the same issue with folders being open on DuoOS and haven't been able to get by that, it could be a deal breaker in my book, but the streaming is pretty nice for what I'd do with it.

Talk to me more about the TTG Plex plugin.. I'm intrigued and the links I found weren't helpful

18. Gadfly

Gadfly Member

Oct 27, 2007
    I installed DuOS but I can't install the zip file that would install the Google Play (I download the file and then when I right click, it says the file cannot be opened).

so I am stuck. I am hesitant to try Tivo from Amazon Store. should I?

19. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    I just tried this thing. I am running Windows 7 Pro on a MacBook Air, connected via WiFi.

The vanilla install of DuOS let me go to the Amazon app store and get the TiVo app. The app ran, but I could not get it to set up streaming correctly, no matter what I tried.

I went and got the Google Apps and installed the zip file. When I opened the Google play store, it told me the TiVo app was already installed, so I didn't bother to download again from there. I ran the TiVo app and it set up streaming correctly on the first try. The first show I tried to play buffered in a few seconds and plays great.

Notes:
    Running a touch-based OS on a laptop without a touchscreen sucks.

The TiVo app wants to run in portrait mode even though the whole OS is in landscape mode. Fortunately, it switches to landscape when you play a show. I can't figure out how to tell the app what orientation the "tablet" is in.

The android version of the TiVo app sucks compared to the iOS app.

Did you right-click and select "Apply to DuOS" from Windows? Worked for me.

20. HarperVision

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    I ended up uninstalling and reinstalling duos because i mucked up settings and figured it may help the folder and streaming issue too. Well as I watched it uninstall, it started to also uninstall programs my my pc! :eek: I sat and watched shortcut icons start disappearing from my desktop! What would make it do that? I guess I'll have to do a system restore.

When I reinstalled though, it did fix the folder viewing issue and helped the streaming a little. I think there's also maybe an incompatibility or setting between Android/DuOS and my PC/Windows 7 Pro. Any ideas?

For the TTG Plex Plugin, I just did this after the server was installed:

https://github.com/tivoguy/TiVoToGo.bundle/blob/master/README.md