Streaming from 2 tuner Premiere to Mini w/o Romio

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by poppagene, Nov 9, 2015.

1. Nov 9, 2015 #1 of 69
    poppagene

poppagene User

Dec 29, 2001

Advertisements

After unplugging my Romio, my mini gives me a c422 error,

The Romio TiVo box cannot be found. There may be a problem with your home network or the network connection on your TiVo box or the TiVo box may have been unplugged (C422).

You can still watch shows from other TiVo boxes on your network.

I didn't know the mini could stream from a 2 tuner Premiere after the Romio is disconnected.

2. Nov 9, 2015 #2 of 69
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Did it?

3. Nov 9, 2015 #3 of 69
    lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Why wouldn't it be able to? A mini is only dependent upon it's "parent" TiVo for live TV.

4. Nov 9, 2015 #4 of 69
    poppagene

poppagene User

Dec 29, 2001
    The mini streamed recorded shows just fine and I was able to switch to a different premiere 2 tuner and stream recorded shows as well.

5. Nov 9, 2015 #5 of 69
    JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...

Advertisements

My error. I forgot that in "My Shows" those two-tuner Premieres are there and their content is accessible.

6. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    My thought was that the parent TiVo is offline, so the Mini would need to find another parent to feed it.

I'm unclear on what's being discussed, here. It seems as though the OP is claiming that their Mini is able to connect to 2-tuner Premieres as a host DVR, in order to stream their content directly.

And, yes, I'm aware that a Mini can stream from a 2-tuner Premiere, but it's been my understanding that it would only be possible via the 'My Shows' listing of a Mini-compatible DVR: 4-tuner Premiere, Roamio or BOLT.

7. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Right, but the OP claimed that their Mini-compatible Roamio was unplugged, so where's the 'My Shows' listing coming from?

edit: p.s. With the Roamio still unplugged, I'd be interested in what happens if they reboot their Mini. (Once TiVo added dynamic tuner allocation, quietly adding 2-tuner Premieres to the Mini compatibility list would make sense.)

Last edited: Nov 11, 2015
  8. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Are you saying that you used the Mini's Settings UI to successfully switch to a 2-tuner Premiere for the Mini's "Host DVR" connection?

9. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    From testing. I pulled the network from my Roamio. I went to the Mini and selected (there was already a message about no valid TiVo), and a screen appeared telling me to use something else.... and I hit OK. Then the two basic Premieres on my network showed and I could access their My Shows and play their content. No mysteries.

10. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Right, that's what I was assuming the OP had experienced, but at least one previous poster made reference to the Premieres being listed in the "My Shows" listing -- which would no longer be available with the Roamio unplugged.

A couple mysteries remain, actually --- at least for me, since I don't have a 2-tuner Premiere with which to test --- and they are: (1) what happens if the Mini reboots while the Roamio remains unavailable? and, (2) what happens if a Mini is factory reset (or a new Mini is added) while the Roamio remains unavailable? Basically, is a 2-tuner Premiere now allowed as the "host DVR" for a Mini?

p.s. One more "mystery"... With the Roamio plugged-in and operating normally, can a Mini select a 2-tuner Premiere as its host DVR, or is the above capability only available as a fallback?

Last edited: Nov 11, 2015
  11. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    All I can answer is that both my two tuner Premieres are "X"ed out in the selection screen. Always. Perhaps the OP was not being 100% accurate.

12. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    From your description, it sounds like they're available as a fallback only. So, yeah, I'm now just curious about what the OP meant, specifically, when they said they could "switch to a different premiere 2 tuner"...
    "Switch" as in... changing the host DVR connection to another 2-tuner Premiere, or... the ability to select the 2nd 2-tuner Premiere via the "fallback" 2-tuner Premiere's "My Shows" listing?

I don't have a 2-tuner Premiere, so I'm just curious. Thanks for the feedback.

13. tvmaster2

tvmaster2 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2006
    Didn't you say in your entry two earlier that you COULD access your two-tuner Tivo Premiere's from the Mini? Confused

ADMINS - please remove this entry. thanks

Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
  14. tvmaster2

Sep 9, 2006
    Didn't you say in your earlier entry, post #9, that you COULD access your two-tuner Tivo Premiere's from the Mini? Confused

15. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I must have had too much wine.

Way too much. Sorry.

16. tvmaster2

Sep 9, 2006
    lol - yeah, sorry about the double entry - html hell. So, the Mini CAN'T access 2-tuner Premiere's, at least in your installation? I was going to add a Mini to my mix, but noticed the box said "for four tuner Tivos"

17. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    No, I still have a pair of two tuner Premieres online. My two Mini boxes (v1 & v2) indicate their presence but can not access them in any fashion.

18. tvmaster2

Sep 9, 2006
    hmmm....maybe I won't sell the Premieres for the Minis afterall

19. tvmaster2

Sep 9, 2006
    do you have the Premiere's model number by chance?

20. snerd

snerd Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2008
    My Mini can stream from my 2-tuner Premiere by using the icon at the bottom of the "My Shows" folder. If you can't do that, there is a problem in your system.