streaming basic instructions

Discussion in 'TiVo Stream' started by Pacomartin, Dec 29, 2014.

1. Pacomartin

Pacomartin Member

Jun 11, 2013

Advertisements

I am getting confusing instructions from RCN customer center. I have a, Samsung note 3 with Internal 16 GB, and 3 GB RAM.

It works in the house to for shows saved to DVR.
    Out of the house I am geting "TiVo DVR is not set up to allow streaming".
    A) From sentence 2) above it sounds like it should work.
    B) The RCN rep says you must download all video files at the house as they cannot be streamed remotely
    C) RCN customer service says they can't download to Android, only Apple products.

What is the correct scoop? Does Android only work in the house? Is this an RCN limitation or a TiVo limitation?

2. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    While connected to your home network you have to rerun the streaming setup from the app to enable out of home streaming. Once you do that it should work.

The Android app does not currently support downloading, only streaming.

3. Pacomartin

Pacomartin Member

Jun 11, 2013
    Is streaming mean "wi-fi" required for both in and out of home? Or does it mean using celllular for outside of the home?

4. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Rcn may apply other restrictions on top of the retail product.

For Android, on a retail product, you can stream ooh using wifi or cellular. Ios ooh is wifi only.

5. Pacomartin

Pacomartin Member

Jun 11, 2013

Advertisements

When I went to pick up a unit at the service center, the woman handed me a mini and a MoCa bridge. I said that is not what I ordered. She said they are the same thing. I had to argue with her for about 10 minutes. Finally, she found some Streams and said that she never gave one out before.

I called Customer Support three times. One person said that RCN rents the stream, but does not support it. Another said that I can call them anytime if I had problems. A third said that RCN did not put any restrictions on the retail product. All in all they said several things that I know are not true.

That is good to know. I don't use data on a cell phone, so I imagine watching movies via cellular can be expensive.

6. PCurry57

PCurry57 Liberal Hippie Chick

Feb 27, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    Yes, ooh via data plan uses a lot of data. This is what makes unlimited data plans so sweet. Streaming video is bandwidth intensive. The same is true of ooh downloading.

In the android app settings there is a check box under Streaming Information Use Cellular Network

My phone has unlimited data, my tablet only has a 2GB plan but for $15 a month I can't complain.

7. Jan 2, 2015 #7 of 19
    Pacomartin

Pacomartin Member

Jun 11, 2013
    RCN swears they have added no restrictions over the retail product. But the ooh option does not appear on the setup screen.

It's Android 4.3 on the phone (4.1 or higher is required) and the software version on the TiVo is past the required version

It does bother me that the manuf. date on the Stream is October 2012, but RCN says that shouldn't matter as it was brand new out of the box.

8. Jan 2, 2015 #8 of 19
    Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    The manufacture date of the Stream doesn't matter, but the software installed on it does. You can check the software version the Stream is using by looking at the System Information section. Mine is showing 20.4.5a.stream.USB-6-z, what does yours say?

9. Jan 3, 2015 #9 of 19
    Pacomartin

Pacomartin Member

Jun 11, 2013
    I have asked RCN support this question repeatedly. There is nothing on the System Information of my TiVo that even acknowledges that a Stream is attached. I can only look at the physical box and see if a light is blinking.

I can't find that software version on my System Information. The DVR software version is 20.4.4c-01-2-750 . How did you find that software version? Be specific please (what screen, how many lines down). I have been looking for that all week.

Stupid Question: The stream is plugged into the router with a Cat5 ethernet cable. I assume that is correct?

10. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    You need to look at it in the app. Click the little gear icon and select system information, that will tell you the software version of the Stream hardware.

11. Pacomartin

Pacomartin Member

Jun 11, 2013
    Mine is 20.4.5a.stream-01-6 .

So the software on the DVR, the Android phone, and the stream all look up to date.

So it is clearly RCN which has disabled the o-o-h streaming. Which would be OK, except so many people at RCN said that they didn't disable it. I think bad information is worse than no information.

12. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Currently for OOH use the Android and IOS apps intentionally prevent streaming copy protected shows. This is an intentional TiVo imposed restriction. You should be able to OOH stream non protected recordings from network channels broadcast over the air. See:
    http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2762/kw/android
    (Expand "I can't stream the program that I want")
    For in home streaming there is no such restriction - you can stream copy protected shows but can't download them.

13. Pacomartin

Pacomartin Member

Jun 11, 2013
    I understand that you can't stream copy protected shows. That is not my question.

I can't do step #4 below. I can't even set it up. The option to do o-o-h streaming doesn't even come up. I couldn't stream Home Shopping Network.

1. Launch the TiVo App
    2. In the Set up streaming device? dialog box, choose Start Setup
    3. Select a streaming device from the list (displayed if there is more than one device on the network)
    4. On the Streaming Setup screen, check Set up in-home streaming and Set up out-of-home streaming. Ensure the User Agreement checkbox is checked.
    5. Choose Start Setup. The streaming setup will begin. Choose Done to complete setup.

14. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    You realize you have to do that setup when you're at home right? You have to be on the same local network to enable that option.

15. Pacomartin

Pacomartin Member

Jun 11, 2013
    Yes. finally after 5 days someone from RCN told me that they had disabled out of home streaming. I asked a different customer service representative every day if RCN had disabled the o-o-h and they all assured me that it was not.

In hindsight I shouldn't have tried to do this near the holidays. I can't get a response from the engineers on the forums because they are on vacation. The CSR frequently give you wrong information.

16. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Ahhh.... well that sucks. I wonder why they disabled it?

17. Pacomartin

Pacomartin Member

Jun 11, 2013
    [​IMG]
    Very vague answer. Obviously some concern about copyright protection.
    I just wanted to watch football games outside the home like the Dish guys.

18. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Why not go to the RCN forums directly? They get some responses there from company reps, and have a VP who tends to give updates similar to Margret.

19. Pacomartin

Pacomartin Member

Jun 11, 2013
    I did post on RCN forums right away. I should never have done this on a holiday week as knowledgeable people were on vacation. I just got excited when I read about the capability of android and I wanted to see playoff games out of home.

When Emilie returned she quoted the knowledge database:
    "The RCN TiVo Q/T6 is set to 'NO OUT OF HOME STREAMING' for now and the foreseeable future. Retail TiVos do not have this limitation, but are still subject to copyright protection and local broadcasting rules."

I fail to see why the CS representatives couldn't find that statement. What's worse is that they specifically told me that it wasn't disabled.