Streaming Apps take 2 minutes to load?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by MychaelP, Jun 1, 2018.

1. Jun 1, 2018 #1 of 21
    MychaelP

MychaelP Member

Jun 30, 2004

Advertisements

ok, I've had my Roamio for a few years now, and I'm wondering if I'm the only one that it takes 2 minutes to load the Amazon app to play videos? I have onepasses for a few Amazon shows, but it seems that in the time it takes my Roamio to load the Amazon app I could plug in my old Fire TV box, boot it up, then find the videos and being playing all in less time it takes Tivo to do it.
    Is there a shortcut I'm missing? It's painfully slow right now, but I love having all my shows in one place.

2. Jun 1, 2018 #2 of 21
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I just checked:
    basic Roamio: 25 seconds
    Roku Ultra: 7 seconds

Also, the first time after a power up the Roamio took 40 seconds. The Roku froze. I had to try twice. The new Roku has issues. :)

kpeters59 likes this.
  3. Jun 1, 2018 #3 of 21
    ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    It may seem that accessing Amazon through your Onepass may be the slowdown. In theory, Tivo is going back and forth between Amazon and the pass episodes.

Whatever shows you want, just include them in your Amazon Watchlist to find it easier.

4. Jun 1, 2018 #4 of 21
    PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    My Roamio takes about 30 seconds too, no way to speed it up. If you buy an Apple TV all apps load lightning fast.

5. Jun 3, 2018 #5 of 21
    tomhorsley

tomhorsley Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2010

Advertisements

I remember comparing the amazon app on my TV (LG B6 OLED) to the amazon app on the roamio. It certainly felt like I could be half way through a streaming program on the TV in the time it takes the amazon app to load on the roamio. After early experimenting with apps, I have never used the roamio as anything but a DVR, and I sure wish they sold a cheaper model that was just a DVR.

6. Jun 3, 2018 #6 of 21
    HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    32 seconds here from selecting Watch Now in a 1P (Grand Tour) to having it ready to play the episode in the Amazon app. For me that's acceptable, so we watch Amazon and Netflix content through our Roamio Pro (and some minimal Hulu).

Scott

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  7. Jun 3, 2018 #7 of 21
    PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    I'm with you, I have an Apple TV but find it easier to use the TiVo apps just as an all in one place sort of convenience.

8. Jun 3, 2018 #8 of 21
    JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    If I had a Ferrari and it could do 150mph, I'd still have to walk down the driveway to get in. As long as it runs without buffering or disconnects, I'm happy.

HerronScott and sakaike like this.
  9. PinkMango

PinkMango New Member

Apr 13, 2015
    Here too. There has to be a reason for this, AND a fix. It's BS. I had the original no-name TiVo in 2005, then Roamio Plus and a Bolt, and many minis. None have done this in 14 years... so technology has gotten nothing but better, and this actually got WORSE??? For me it's a new thing, only one $%*# TV does it (with the Roamio), and only on Amazon Prime. It would be fine it it was just slow to start (like walking down the driveway to my Ferrari ;) but now it's slow after pause or rewind too. It's infuriating. WHY am I paying money for this when I can stick a freakin' Roku in for FREE??? If you ask me, TiVo is slipping.... they never should have gotten rid of the cartoon music and the dancing guy.

10. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    ^ +1. :D

11. mbernste

mbernste Active Member

Apr 6, 2003
    Piscataway, NJ
    I really don't know why anyone would use the TiVo for the streaming apps. In addition to being slow to load, they sometimes crash the TiVo and are often sluggish when it comes to responsiveness. Not only do modern TVs have the same apps (which are updated more frequently) that run faster, there are very inexpensive devices you can connect to a TV to give you the same functionality.

slowbiscuit likes this.
  12. jonw747

jonw747 Active Member

Aug 2, 2015
    The one pass hook-in was kind of cool, but yes, the risk of crashing the DVR is a deal killer and the slowness abysmal.

13. tomhorsley

tomhorsley Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2010
    I gave up on all the apps years ago. I can be half way through a show on amazon if I stream it on my tablet in the amount of time it takes the amazon app to start on the TiVo.

slowbiscuit likes this.
  14. 53richart

53richart Member

Feb 25, 2019
    Acworth, GA
    I rarely use the apps on the TiVo...The TiVo does a great job as a TV tuner with electronic program guide and recording TV shows...Roku does a great job of streaming. It takes me only one press of a button on my AVR remote to go from one to the other.

15. pfiagra

pfiagra Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2014
    I find the streaming apps perfectly acceptable on my Roamio even though it takes longer than I’d prefer at startup. Never had them crash my Roamio (though that’s a different story if we are taking about Minis).

16. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    I find the YouTube app on my Roku Projector takes much longer than the one on the Tivo.

17. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    My experience has been the same as yours using Amazon Primes, Netflix and Hulu on our Roamio Pro (just got access to HBO Go with Comcast finally so haven't had much chance to test).

Amazon Prime has the slowest trick play recovery of the 3 streaming apps that we use on TiVo but it got much better with the last update that gave us Xray access, etc. Not sure why you would see worse performance on just 1 unless there is some network connectivity difference (app version difference?). Have you tried moving that Roamio to one of the locations where you aren't seeing the issue? Is this Roamio connected the same to your network as the other TiVo's?

Scott

18. pope90

pope90 New Member

Oct 21, 2012
    KY
    I prefer the TiVo app for Amazon Prime on my Roamio OTA for the following reasons:
    • No need to switch inputs.
    • No need to switch remotes. I have always preferred the TiVo remote.
    • The One Pass feature consolidates my recorded and streaming selections in a single place. The fragmentation of streaming content in different services makes it more likely I will forget about shows that are available in disparate apps/devices.
    • My Roamio OTA is connected via ethernet. The FireStick is wireless. While this has not been a problem yet, I’ll always take a wired solution if available.
    These make my television viewing experience more coherent and, for me, worth a thirty-second wait for the Amazon app to launch. Potential crashes of the Roamio, however, would certainly change this behavior if they were to occur.

19. JohnS-MI

JohnS-MI Active Member

Jan 25, 2014
    SE MI
    My Roamio is very slow on Prime, I haven't timed it but it may be 2 minutes. I also have an old Roku and it is also slow loading Prime. I think the Prime app has gotten bigger

20. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Basic Roamio. Just took 40 seconds to load Prime. First time since power up.