1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Streambaby & Plex: "Failed to open stream" - Volunteers?

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by ClearToLand, May 23, 2018.

1. ClearToLand

ClearToLand Old !*#$% Tinkerer!

Jul 9, 2001
    Central Jersey
    If you have running installations of both Streambaby and Plex, have you ever tried the 'plex.server=' setting in Streambaby.ini and, after viewing the Plex folders and shows all under the Plex folder in Streambaby, were you actually able to view a show?

I bought my first NASes last year (Intel J1800 dual core; 2-bay and 4-bay) and began funneling kmttg (PS) output to Plex (.mpg, .srt, .txt, .edl) with the goal of being able to view the recordings either via Plex or Streambaby. Plex plays them fine; Streambaby displays the Plex metadata instead of the Rovi metadata but complains: "Failed to open stream" when I try to play. Looking at the DEBUG log, it appears that it's not even passing the filename to ffmpeg.

I set up a "dir.x=" UNC to the Plex folder on my NAS and Streambaby plays fine that way. Would someone please try this experiment ('plex.server=' vs 'dir.x=') and post their results?

Thanks so much! :)

P.S. I never used 'Tags' before when creating a post. I saw them on some other posts recently so I thought that I'd give it a shot. Does it make a difference when SEARCHing?

2. vanclute

vanclute Member

Aug 3, 2003
    I didn't know SB could even play files from a Plex server. I have both running on our media server so will try it out and see what happens.

3. vanclute

vanclute Member

Aug 3, 2003
    Well that was spectacularly disappointing. Plex doesn't show up in SB in any way that I can see. Is there some trick to it? Do I really just put my plex server IP (which is the same IP as the machine SB is running on in my case) after plex.server= and it's supposed to work?

EDIT: I was missing the port number but even after adding it... nothing in SB related to Plex.

4. vanclute

vanclute Member

Aug 3, 2003
    The path? Path to what? According to the SB wiki all I need to do is add the IP and port for the plex server.

ClearToLand likes this.
  5. ClearToLand

Jul 9, 2001
    Central Jersey
    Yep, it's that easy.

If you have DEBUG turned on in Streambaby, you'll see it communicating with your Plex Server. Did you restart Streambaby? Restart the HD GUI? Restart your TiVo? If you have kmttg running, try launching Streambaby via the Remote Tab.

As I posted in May, I can plainly see the difference in the metadata. It just won't pass the selected filename to ffmpeg. If you're interested, set up a Streambaby 'dir.x' to point to your Plex directory via UNC and watch how the filename is passed to ffmpeg. Then try to play the same show from the Plex entry. I keep getting "Failed to open stream" and see no attempt to pass the selected filename to ffmpeg. :confused:

Thanks for trying! You SHOULD be able to display the Plex metadata though. I never had a problem with that. What version of Streambaby are you running? I'm using v0.53 since my .INI already had MP4 disabled.

6. ClearToLand

Jul 9, 2001
    Central Jersey
    Code:
    #plex.server=IP:Port (default:none)
    plex.server=192.168.0.123:32400
    At the bottom of your list of all your Streambaby 'dir.x=' entries is "Plex".

7. vanclute

vanclute Member

Aug 3, 2003
    I'm afraid I don't know what you mean... the only active lines in my entire streambaby-user.ini file are:

ip=10.144.48.8
    preview.big=true
    mp4module.disable=true
    plex.server=10.144.48.8:32400

There is no reference to Plex whatsoever in streambaby.ini.

I'm using PyTivoX with a manually updated SB from a while ago... last year some time as I recall. Don't know what the version would've been and it doesn't seem to be listed anywhere that I can see in the editable files. I didn't try rebooting the TiVo... I suppose I could do that, though normally I never have to reboot it for a SB config change, just have to restart SB itself (or PyTivoX in my case)

I rebooted the TiVo as well just now, but no change. Plex doesn't show up anywhere in my list of folders in SB. I don't have Debug enabled and don't use kmttg. I also don't know what UNC is.

8. wkearney99

wkearney99 Bill Kearney

Dec 5, 2003
    Bethesda,...
    UNC are pathnames. \\server\sharename\folders\within\the\sharename. As opposed to mounting \\server\sharename\folders\within\the\sharename as d:\ and using that as the source in SB.
    vs
    This also allows access to it when SB runs as a service without getting into drive mounting rigmarole. Provided the user running the service also has access to the share. There's a number of variables involved, so my above notes are not a direct cut-and-paste, just examples. For the first one you could also put a line in the starting script that made the share connections. Just a plain 'net use \\server\share /user:server\username /password:yourpassword' would work, but would leave your password behind in cleartext in the script. Not ideal for decent security.

9. vanclute

vanclute Member

Aug 3, 2003
    I'm afraid you've lost me. I never had to do anything fancy with any script editing with SB which is part of what I like so much about it... it just works (with a few small exceptions). The only thing I ever do is enable a few options in the streambaby-user.ini file. I've never had to do anything with any paths or whatever... so I really don't know what that's all about. Maybe it's because I'm on a Mac so something is different? I don't know. I think PyTivoX handles all the directory stuff internally through its GUI.

10. wkearney99

wkearney99 Bill Kearney

Dec 5, 2003
    Bethesda,...
    If you're hosting your media files on a different machine then you'd need to use some sort of network path to indicate where they're stored. My SB instance runs on a machine that also acts as a home controller and printer spooler. The movies files, however, are all on a network server (Qnap brand NAS). Works great.

11. reneg

reneg Active Member

Jun 19, 2002
    I tried the plex.server configuration option and got the following error:
    Code:
    Plex: 316 ERROR: getXmlDocument error - Server returned HTTP response code: 401 for URL: http://192.168.1.23:32400/library/sections
    I have Plex Home configured on my Plex server. I tried disabling the pin on my account, but still got the error. I wasn't willing to turn off Plex Home.