Streambaby deathly slow on fast PC, network and HD

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by fxer, Aug 10, 2011.

1. fxer

fxer New Member

Aug 14, 2005
    Have an i5-2500k hooked up to a 7200rpm drive on a gigabit network using streambaby to feed my TiVo premiere but .mkv files stream at roughly 1/4 realtime speed. Any idea why it would be so brutally slow with that setup?

2. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Because mkv files have to be transcoded on the fly to mpeg2 using ffmpeg while being streamed and mpeg2 streaming/transfers to TiVo are also slow. Most likely the transcoding is your bottleneck - check Job Monitor for ffmpeg while streaming.

3. fxer

fxer New Member

Aug 14, 2005
    ffmpeg is running with virtually no cpu utilization, also what about the "push" settings that supposedly let you stream without transcoding? Does that help with PC->TiVo transfer speeds of .mkv files?

ffmpeg also appears to be running after choosing to "push" the file to the tivo, same slow speed.

4. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    The "push" option will ultimately do the same thing and hence be just as slow - it will have to transcode while transferring. Difference is since you are not streaming just let it transfer over night and watch it next day. Or try transfer of same file using pyTivo instead.

5. fxer

fxer New Member

Aug 14, 2005
    Tried pyTivo and was the same slow speed, even transcoding with -threads 3 only did about 20-25fps

6. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Depending on what video & audio formats are contained in your mkv you can also try orangeboy's mkv2tivomp4.bat script to convert to mp4 with H.264 + AC3 without transcoding. That format pushes or streams extremely fast to a Premiere.

7. fxer

fxer New Member

Aug 14, 2005
    setup mkv2mp4 with mp4box and that streams at ~80% of realtime once converted to .mp4, is that really the best that can be done with sending HD video to a premiere? Just want to figure out what my expectations should be, as it seems streaming HD content to a tivo at realtime or faster is impossible.

8. Iluvatar

Iluvatar New Member

Jul 22, 2006
    Newest pyTivo development remuxes the MKV file automatically for pushes if possible thus preventing a transcode. Also will transcode the audio only if it is incompatible. Of course there are a few caveats to this based on the file and codecs it contains but it works most of the time. Speeds are greatly increased. I can have a 1080p MKV on my Premiere within 10 minutes from start. If the remux fails it automatically switches to a transcode.

Install lucasnz's pytivo fork from this site.

http://repo.or.cz/w/pyTivo/wmcbrine/lucasnz.git

9. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Look under Network Diagnostics-Transfer History-Video Download to see what rate you are getting for the mp4 push. As an example I get ~50 Mbps for H.264 push which is plenty faster than real time for most H.264 videos.

10. jcthorne

jcthorne Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    I transcode or recode as needed all video to tivo compatible mp4 files before storing on my server. Pushes of content in the correct form transfer at appox 75Mbps. FAR faster than real time even for 1080p content. Using vidmgr any video on the server can be requested from the tivo and its ready to play in less than 1 minute. Usually before I can find it in the MyShows list and select it for playback.

11. wannaB

wannaB Member

Sep 19, 2005
    I'm stumped.... I've search high and low and can't find the answer. My Streambaby worked great for years with all types of files but not anymore. Has anyone ever resolved this issue?

12. jcthorne

jcthorne Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    I was never 'successful' with streambaby and HD video files. I gave up and use vidmgr with pytivo. Accomplished the goal, wife love the interface and it 'just works' very well.

Huge library available from a glorious HD interface on the Tivo. Plays as soon a selected. Interface has high res movie art, full discriptions and auto sorts by genre.