Stream Tivo To PC running an Android VM Like VirtualBox

Discussion in 'TiVo Stream' started by KennethW, Jan 31, 2015.

1. KennethW

KennethW Member

Dec 15, 2003

Advertisements

I am sure this has already been discussed here but I could not find it. I have a home office and would like to be able to stream tivo to my office pc.

Would it be possible to stream tivo to a pc running a VM of Android running the Tivo App. I am not an Android expert or Android developer but am a windows programmer. It seems possible to me.

Has anyone tried this and what was their experience ?

Thanks,
    Ken

2. KennethW

KennethW Member

Dec 15, 2003
    <crickets>....<crickets>.....

I guess since there have been no responses. You are all furiously working on building your Android VMs to stream your Tivo Roamios to your PCs.

Seriously. No thoughts or comments on this idea ?

I am not a Tivo or Android expert and am sure there is some technical reason it cannot be done.

Just curious if that was the case or if it had been tried or not.

Thanks
    Ken

3. tomhorsley

tomhorsley Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Well, since android VMs don't look like "known" hardware devices, I'd expect the tivo app to reject running because of "unauthorized changes". Also, I suspect only one of the intel based android images could possibly run fast enough to do reasonable performance video, and I'm not sure the tivo app is willing to run on intel hardware at all. All in all, the odds of success don't seem to make it worth even making the attempt unless you are really bored and desperate for something to experiment on :).

4. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    I'm not sure why you would want to emulate a touchscreen device on a PC to stream video from a TiVo. Why not get something like a Slingbox, which is designed to do exactly what you want?

5. Feb 1, 2015 #5 of 21
    kdmorse

kdmorse Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 29, 2001
    Germantown, MD

Advertisements

I made a half hearted attempt to do it on a few emulators when it first came out for android, all failed with various device related errors.

Someone else may have put more effort into it.

Because we already have integrated streams in our Tivos, which almost (but not quite) solves the desire themselves. No real wish to add additional hardware, cables, and the baggage that comes with it if it can be avoided.

6. Feb 1, 2015 #6 of 21
    saeba

saeba Active Member

Oct 12, 2004
    Atlanta...
  7. Feb 1, 2015 #7 of 21
    Bytez

Bytez Member

Sep 11, 2004
    NYC
    That Plex server has to be run in Windows all the time?

8. Feb 2, 2015 #8 of 21
    saeba

saeba Active Member

Oct 12, 2004
    Atlanta...
    In order to stream content, yes.

9. Feb 2, 2015 #9 of 21
    KennethW

KennethW Member

Dec 15, 2003
    Thanks. I sort of expected this would be the case and there would be some hardware issue. Was curious though. I would be awesome if Tivo would come out with a PC client for streaming but I doubt that will ever happen.

10. jamesteixeira

jamesteixeira Member

Nov 22, 2014
    Round Rock TX
    I tried two Android emulators and they would not stream. Most of the application works except streaming. It would get to the point where you picked a recording and clicked on "Stream to phone" or something similar, then it would pop up the "modified device - cannot stream" dialog. I submitted a request to TIVO that since they don't have a PC application, they should allow this but it seams they just don't want to do it. It would probably cut down on their Mini revenue stream.

11. lickwid

lickwid Member

Oct 2, 2005
    SF Bay Area, CA
    You should search the FireTV Stick thread on here. If your PC has an available HDMI input port, that might be an option. I know most PC's only have HDMI output, so might not work. Just a suggestion though.

12. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    Exactly what I do when I need to workaround the regular issues with the Tivo Android app. Problem with streaming through Plex is that you can't skip forward/back in the show unless you have the TTG Plex app download the show locally to the PC first, then play it from Plex directly instead of using the TTG app to stream from the Tivo. The TTG app on Plex has no way to seek in the stream.

13. SugarBowl

SugarBowl Member

Jan 4, 2007
    north carolina
    DuOS android emulator works well. There is another thread about it here: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=525662

http://www.amiduos.com/

I have a 27" touchscreen HP Recline Envy running DuOS and can stream any tivo channel/recording just fine.

14. PCurry57

PCurry57 Liberal Hippie Chick

Feb 27, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    I've been using AMI DuOS since I first read your post on my Windows 8.1 64 notebook. Mostly great, I also love because now I can run some Android apps on my Notebook; larger screen, real keyboard. Not bad at all as long as you don't mind running Jellybean 4.2.2.

15. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    I installed it on my Surface pro, and it works great! I am looking forward to testing the new android app at the end of the month!

16. JBDragon

JBDragon Member

Jan 3, 2004
    Fairfield, CA
    I just tried this and it does work. It's a option but it's pretty limited and not very speedy. It doesn't seem to show any dates. Plus there's no way to delete anything after watching. For example, I have 21 listings for "Bait Car" and it just shows Bait Car 21 times down, nothing else. No date when recorded, no descriptions, no nothing. But it seems to work better then the DuOS solution which doesn't stream smoothly and the resolution looks like crap on my 24" screen.

Looks like I'm still going to have to hook up my OLD Slingbox Pro to my Tivo Mini and go that route when I get a few minor things. I need a power supply for my Slingbox as I can't find it and the cables for the Tivo Mini which are on order. I just hate having to plug in yet another device to do something Tivo should already have out, a Windows App!!! One that runs on Desktops, Laptop's, the Surface!!! Besides just Android and iOS. It works good on my iPad, but I want to watch on a larger screen. To me this seems like the first APP TIVO should have done and then iOS and Android.

Maybe I just don't get it. DuOS would be the better option so far, but I just don't get why it runs so crappy on my high end PC. I haven't figured out a way to make it better.

17. billdz

billdz Member

May 14, 2015
    Thanks to those above who suggested Amiduos. Just installed on my Thinkpad and the Tivo app is working great. Is there any way to get the shows to play in full screen mode?

Has anyone gotten the Chromecast app to work with Amiduos?

Thanks,
    b

18. gbruyn

gbruyn Member

Mar 20, 2012
    I just installed the latest version of DuOS and am getting the unauthorized Android modifications message. Should I install the Jelly Bean version? Is it working fine for everyone else?

19. telemark

telemark Active Member

Nov 12, 2013
    Is there any advantage to the Android version over the new PC streaming version?

20. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    The PC version can't stream protected shows.