Stream Tivo "Now Playing" to PC's on the network?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by theruckman, Sep 27, 2011.

1. theruckman

theruckman New Member

Jun 21, 2005
    Assuming this is not possible because I cannot find anything that will do it on the web: I would love to go to any PC on my network, use an interface that pulls up my "Now Playing" screen and watch a TV show there....is this possible? Almost like a "slingbox" kinda deal. And NOT transferring a show to my HD, just pure stream...I DO know u can go into Tivo Desktop...transfer...etc...and start watching pretty soon but I don't want to xfr it, just stream it......ASSUMING I will be getting some big FAT NO's on this but just wanted to ask. I think way back in the day there was a deal called "tyserver" that would do it but that was like a series2, hacked...etc...

thx

Scott
    Tivo Junkie since 1999

2. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    If you have a Premier, no. If you have a Series III class machine, then tyserver and TiVoWebPlus can be implemented if you modify the TiVo. It would have to stream through s3tots, but it should be possible.

3. aymanme

aymanme Member

May 8, 2001
    Austin, TX
    I tried this for a while, but finally did not have the time to continue. I have my s3 and hd both patched. What I wanted was to use the XBMC streamer so that I could pull a show from my tivo and stream it to an xbmc box. I tried both ccxstream and vanilla ftp. While my pc has no problem playing the stream via ftp, I never could get xbmc to do it. ccxstream has never (as far as i know) been updated for the s3 version of mfs, but I gave it a whirl anyway.

Having said that, i *DID* get the listings to show up, it was just playing that I could not get to work. Also, the built in webserver on virgin S3/HD will show you the now playing list.

4. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Streaming via ftp? (File Transfer Protocol).

5. aymanme

aymanme Member

May 8, 2001
    Austin, TX
    I'm well aware of what it stands for. That doesn't change the fact that it works and for a reason. My tivos (using mfs_ftp) stream the files as mpeg transport streams (.ts) which are designed to be played streaming such that if the stream is interrupted it will continue to work. IMO, it is one of the 3 primary reasons to mod the tivo.

6. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    Yes, FTP. I don't do it, but anyone not foolish enough to buy a Premier can.

7. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    Well, not for me. I'm not saying it's a bad notion, but it's not why I modded my TiVos. There are quite a few features available only to modified TiVos I find important, but that's not one for me, personally.