Stream movies stored on a home server?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by wingnut144, Apr 7, 2011.

1. wingnut144

wingnut144 New Member

Feb 4, 2008
    Boise, ID

Advertisements

I have been looking at how to stream movies I'd like to store on our home server to 1 or 2 of our Series 3 TiVo's.

I've looked at pyTivo, and StreamBaby.....both look like they're old systems, is there a newer one out there that works well, or can someone recommend something they like?

1 question I have, if I don't have to "hack" or "mod" my Tivo to do this, where do I see the option to watch one of these movies on my Tivo? What menu option would it be under?

Thanks for helping out a streaming Tivo newbie! :)
    Steve

2. ct1

ct1 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jun 27, 2003
    Maryland
    Both pyTivo and StreamBaby are good and work. Slightly different models, try them both!

(My 4-year old daughter can navigate through streambaby and pick shows to watch.)

3. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    Eh? No.

4. ascuser

ascuser Member

Oct 16, 2007
    I don't use streambaby myself. PyTivo works fine for me. The main difference is that pytivo copies the show to the tivo where streambaby does not. So long as your sending computer can transcode faster than real time however, you can start watching immediately (even my old 3.0gz P4 will transcode SD video 2.5 times faster than realtime. It transfers HD slower than realtime though.) It requires no hacking of the Tivo - it uses the same protocols that the Tivo uses to transfer shows from one Tivo to another. As far as being "old", while there are still updates to PyTivo, my 4 year old installation (started 2 Tivos ago!) still works perfectly for me with my new premiere. The PC with the shows appears in the now playing list as a folder in which you can select the shows to transfer. You can select multiple shows to queue up and transfer in order also.

5. jbernardis

jbernardis Active Member

Oct 21, 2003
    Princeton NJ

Advertisements

I can't speak for streambaby since I don't use it, but pytivo could hardly be described as "old". It's quite current and actively maintained. There is a large community of users who support one another. I was using tivo desktop when I was introduced to pytivo, and it didn't take me long to decide to uninstall TD and commit to running pytivo solely. It's a great program. Admitedly it can be daunting to install if you are not computer savvy.

I'd even consider running streambaby, but I don't run pytivo on my PC - I run it on my NAS and I'd prefer to run streambaby there as well, but I don't have the run-time environment there for it. If you're using a PC, though, you don't have such considerations, and streambaby is also a viable (and current) option.

BTW - to answer your other questions - neither of these require ANY hacking on your tivo. Pytivo videos show up under your Now Playing List, and music and photographs show up under the network applications menu (I forget how it's labeled). Streambaby shows up under the network applications menu also.

6. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    I installed pyTiVo on my PC, pointed it to my folder of mpeg2 movies ripped from DVDs and have not worried about pyTiVo since. It works and is there after every reboot, etc..
    Like Job it has infinite patience and fealty to its task. ;)

All I do now is worry about the movies themselves.

7. madneon

madneon Member

Jun 16, 2007
    Ft. Bragg NC
    Other than buying a set top box ( Boxee) PYtivo really does work well once you get it up and running I used it for some time with only a couple of times I had to restart either the server pc or the tivo.