Stream from Tivo DVR to Tivo stream 4K

Discussion in 'TiVo Stream 4K' started by yzguyfl123, Dec 21, 2020.

1. yzguyfl123

yzguyfl123 New Member

Dec 21, 2020

Advertisements

I got the android tivo app to install and work on Tivo stream 4k

So my hdmi on my Tivo bolt went out again, and since that is the only output from the box, makes it kinda useless. I got tired of spending $300 every time this happens, so I figured I’d try the new tivo stream 4k assuming I could stream from my existing tivo box, since I had already been able to stream from tivo box to tivo box in the past (when I bought a new one to replace the old one with a fried hdmi port). But when I got it, tried to, failed, then called support, I was told it was not possible. I almost returned it, but then my dog ate the box, and it was only $40, so I kept it.

I did not take screen shots, or record this (there was a bit of trial and error as well as dead ends) but this should be fairly complete.

On to how I did it (other apps could likely be substituted):
    I installed downloader (most are probably familiar with it), and FX file manager (both normal app installs). It will be handy to have a mouse for some of this (and in the end for the Tivo app), I was able to plug in a wireless usb mouse into the USB C port of the tivo stream, with a USB to USBC adapter. (I was also able to use a normal wired USB mouse, but that is not as handy. I tried a couple ways to make the mouse pointer work with the stock tivo remote, but did not get that to work, but did not try very long)

I went to my computer and downloaded the apk for tivo and Screen Orientation Control. I used the APK downloader chrome plugin from the google play store to get it on my pc.

Screen Orientation Control
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.mm2d.android.orientationfaker&hl=en_US&gl=US

Tivo
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tivophone.android&hl=en_US&gl=US

I changed the file name from .apk to .zip so that I could easily put it on my site (that does not want to serve up a file named .apk). If you want you can use the same files and skip this step (up to you :) )

I used downloader to download these files (1bad69 is my personal site, mainly just for hosting pics ) note these are APK files NOT zip files, they must be renamed after downloading if you use these:
    http://1bad69.com/tivo.zip
    http://1bad69.com/scrorient.zip

Then I used the FX file manager to find these files (mine were under system\sdcard\downloader) and change the name to .apk, then click on them install the apps. I think I had to allow some permissions to install from other locations, as well as to allow FX manager to install apps, but I don’t exactly recall.
    I think it was: in the google menu (small circle button) settings- device preferences – Security & restrictions – unknown sources – select FX (and probably downloader

I also installed TV Apps Drawer from the google play store (normal tivo install) so that I can get to the tivo app and screen orient app easily (they don't show up in the normal apps location).

Set up the orientation app to lock it into landscape (which you likely want for anything on tivo 4k anyway)
    From the google home screen (small circle button on tivo remote) settings - apps - special app access (all the way down) - Display over other apps - Orientation Control (allow this one)
    BTW there is a button in the app to get to this setting, but that button did not work. I had to find this setting in the menus to enable it for this app.

Now I am able to launch the TV apps Drawer, then launch the Tivo android app (meant for the phone/tablet) then use my wireless usb mouse for the tivo app controls and connect to my hdmi fried Tivo box to watch my recorded shows.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
    Pokemon_Dad and krkaufman like this.
  2. babsonnexus

babsonnexus Active Member

Jan 13, 2016
    When I did this, I found the quality of the playback and constant studdering to make it pretty useless. I think your best bet is to actually use KMTTG to export your recording then use Plex or Kodi or the like to stream them. I'm not as familiar with Kodi, but Plex can also do commercial skipping and intro skipping it it recognizes it as a TV show.

Mentatgom, nrnoble and ke3ju like this.
  3. yzguyfl123

yzguyfl123 New Member

Dec 21, 2020
    I've already been using it, and so far it is working pretty well for me. The only draw backs for me is that there is no commercial skip, a little awkward to get to the app, and to operate controls in the app I can't use the remote, I have to use my wireless mouse, but other that that it is working fine for me.

The extra steps of downloading the app then using plex (which I also have set up to stream from another pc) over and over, is a deal breaker, the box is still recoding shows. This would be a continual hassle (would be ok if I was just getting the recorded shows off one time and chucking the box, but the the box is still recording new shows for now)

4. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Is the bolt connected to ethernet? WiFi on the Bolt isn't very good unless you are close to the router. Might want to reboot the Bolt. I was able to watch shows without stuttering from my Bolt on my Fire Tv 3rd gen pendant using the sideloaded Tivo app but the interface was too clunky for me having to use a mouse and a remote to navigate. I think the best solution would be to look for a cheap Tivo Mini on ebay or craigslist.

5. yzguyfl123

yzguyfl123 New Member

Dec 21, 2020

Advertisements

My bolt has a wired connection, so that is not a problem.
    I have rebooted the bolt MANY times, hdmi crapped out (I think this is my second or 3rd bolt that died and about my 4th tivo box that hdmi crapped out on)

I already have this working for $40, at least for now, until I come up with what I want to do next to watch our shows (tired of buying new tivo boxes)

6. shwru980r

Jun 22, 2008
    Do you have the back of the Tivo pushed up against a wall where the HDMI comes in so that there is pressure on the HDMI cable? I watched a video several years ago that discussed HDMI failures and the guy said the pressure on the HDMI cable from the wall loosened the solder that attaches the HDMI port to the circuit board. He said he purchases L connectors for every connection on the back of his electronics to prevent failure.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2020
  7. foghorn2

foghorn2 Well-Known Member

May 4, 2004
    Las Vegas
    Plex is garbage, THe "TIVO STREAM" needs to be able to stream from a tivo box, if not, then dont call it a TIVO STREAM !!

Randy Spencer likes this.
  8. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    The TiVo Stream does stream from TiVo DVRs. ;)

Randy Spencer likes this.
  9. shwru980r

Jun 22, 2008
    Tivo isn't going to provide a free OTT app so that customers can avoid buying the expensive Mini Lux and WiFi adapter.

10. yzguyfl123

yzguyfl123 New Member

Dec 21, 2020
    No, there is (and has always been) at least 6" between the Tivo box an the back of the cabinet it is in. HDMI is a notoriously fragile connection (in regard to power spikes), and apparently the tivo boxes are especially so. I live kinda far out and power spikes are pretty common. Tivos are not the only hdmi that have failed, but are the the most common (tv, stereos ...) yes I have tried all kinds of whole house spike protection as well as different spike and UPS power supplies, none have been 100%.

Since all the other tivo boxes could do it, and even my android phone could do it, I assumed the android TIVO stream device could !!!!

well not out of the box for normal consumers.... you really have to bend over backwards and do things that were NOT intended or supported to make it work... so no it does not...

11. snerd

snerd Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2008
    He's talking about the TiVo Stream, which is an old product that could be added to a Premiere, and was built into Roamio/Bolt/Edge, not the TiVo Stream 4K.

Damn TiVo for using very similar names to two very different products.

12. yzguyfl123

yzguyfl123 New Member

Dec 21, 2020
    ah, I had not even heard of that one...

also annoying, when searching tivo stream 4k we get a bunch of results for stuff like streaming from or to a Bolt....

13. Pokemon_Dad

Pokemon_Dad Ruler of Unown UI

Jan 19, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    Several of us here heartily recommend Channels DVR as a TiVo replacement. It's slightly DIY, but I suspect for you it would be child's play. The client app works well with the TiVo Stream 4K and a remapped remote, especially if you strip out all the TiVo stuff. Some are even using the TS4K as their Channels DVR server, or a random old PC/Mac they had lying around, but I'd rather have an NAS with mirrored drives at the heart of my system. Here's a photo of my setup, with more description two posts down from there: https://www.tivocommunity.com/community/i...

Mentatgom likes this.
  14. yzguyfl123

yzguyfl123 New Member

Dec 21, 2020
    that sounded really good at first....
    but from here:
    Channels — HDHomeRun

then from here:
    Charter Spectrum and the Channels DVR with a Cable Card

I know this was a while ago.... but having to buy a $200 HDHR box just to find out it does not work for me does not sound very good...
    Not worried much about the setup, and I already have an extra PC for this sort of thing (has plex server set up on it), but kinda worried about it not working for me, as it seems like spectrum has different systems all over the place, as well as depending on which company you were with before they all merged, so knowing for sure could be difficult, not to mention could change at any time..

15. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    I'm no Channels expert, but I thought it recorded tv everywhere streams, bypassing any DRM and cable card barriers. Doesn't matter if HomeRun can't record them. Channels doesn't need actual tuners.

Pokemon_Dad likes this.
  16. Pokemon_Dad

Jan 19, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    As @mdavej says above, the new TVE feature makes a home OTT DVR possible for the first time:

Channels — TV Everywhere

That feature uses your login to access most channels from cable, YouTube TV, Hulu Live TV, and other services. It's worth doing the one-month trial just to see how that works for you.

[Edit:]

If you're with Spectrum then all bets on CableCARDs are off so forget about the HDHR Prime. As that forum thread you linked to mentions, they weren't working well due to tuning adapter issues to begin with, Spectrum is moving to IP rapidly, and probably somewhere in that thread someone will mention that many subscribers have found the Prime blocked by extra encryption Spectrum adds to all channels. WMC is probably dealing with that last one for you.

With Xfinity I think my Prime with CableCARD is good for at least another five years, for most channels anyway, but we'll see. I've also tried TVE and I'm ready to switch over to it when the time comes. We only need cable for a few news and talk channels anyway.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2020
  17. shwru980r

Jun 22, 2008
    I thought I read that TVE is a BETA release. Not sure, but I think it could be discontinued at a moments notice.

18. Pokemon_Dad

Jan 19, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    Yes I usually mention that, sorry. Seems like it's never going to get out of beta, like a Google product, lol. But the question of whether it's got long-term legs is of another sort: they seem to be exploiting an authentication loophole that Adobe could suddenly make go away, like an elephant swatting away a gnat. But so far so good.

shwru980r likes this.
  19. shwru980r

Jun 22, 2008
    Tivo's OTT Fire Tv app from a few years ago was BETA and it they shut it down without any warning.

20. Pokemon_Dad

Jan 19, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    There was a warning or two of sorts: the sale of the company, twice. Too bad, as that could have given people another reason for a TiVo box. The current CEO has mentioned he might still someday maybe put that app on the TS4K, but DVR support is clearly not part of their primary strategy so I'm not holding my breath.