Stream and Upnp

Discussion in 'TiVo Stream' started by mr_pink, Nov 18, 2014.

1. mr_pink

mr_pink New Member

Dec 15, 2006

Advertisements

Roamio Pro here ..

Anyone able to get OOH stream working without a Upnp router? I have my internet connection terminating in a business grade firewall that does not support upnp - so far I am unable to get stream setup at all.

Earlier versions of stream had a port forwarding section in the browser config screen that would have accommodated this type of setup - that has disappeared in the later versions I assume they dropped support for that?

(edited to reflect OOH streaming)

2. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    It doesn't use port forwarding or uPNP, it uses a proxy server.

3. mr_pink

mr_pink New Member

Dec 15, 2006
    Hrmm.

From http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2762 :

For Out-of-home streaming to work, you must have Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) enabled on your home router. Refer to your router manufacturer's instructions for assistance with enabling UPnP.
    Universal plug and play

4. CharlesH

CharlesH Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Sacramento...
    I specifically have UPnP disabled on my router, and the Stream in my Roamio Plus has no trouble streaming over 4G to my smartphone, far from home. I am not disputing what the support page says; just reporting my experience.

5. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada

Advertisements

Interesting. There are some clues on the advanced system information screens that this is something they're working on, but it's not currently enabled. Seems that someone slipped up on the docs.

Check out the "I can't achieve full signal strength (6 dots)" of the same page. It specifically says that they're currently using a proxy, but soon you'll be able to connect directly to your home network. So it seems like maybe the direct connection, and uPNP, is something they plan on supporting soon.

But right now it's a proxy and uses standard ports, so a uPNP router should not be required.

6. mr_pink

mr_pink New Member

Dec 15, 2006
    Thanks guys I'll cross upnp off the list and continue troubleshooting to see what else it could be.