Strategy for HD Tivo Upgrade

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by Maurice, Apr 8, 2007.

1. Apr 8, 2007 #1 of 10
    Maurice

Maurice New Member

Jul 19, 1999

Advertisements

I have a stock HR10-250 running 6.3c . It has been a while since I have upgraded a drive on a TiVo, but in the past I used MFS tools successfully.

I just ordered a new 750GB drive.

My goal is to increase recording capacity and preserve the existing recordings.

If I just add the 2nd Drive - would this work? - I suppose I would have to purchase additional hardware like brackets and cables.

I would be happy with just replacing the existing drive with the 750GB - in that case can I purchase and use Instantcake to simplify the copy process? Is there a better tool to copy the 250 to the 750 and how long will the process take?

I have been reading may searched messages- but I am still confused as to the best way to go.

Thanks

2. Apr 8, 2007 #2 of 10
    puffdaddy

puffdaddy Member

Mar 1, 2006
    I believe that the instantcake product installs a fresh, new drive (I've never used or seen instantcake), which will not transfer your recordings. I think that you will be best off using spike2k5's mfslive boot disc. Check his website, it has instructions and his modified version of MFSTools that fixes issues with the previous (2.0) release.

3. Apr 8, 2007 #3 of 10
    litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    Just follow the step-by-step instructions for the HR10-250 here ....
    http://tivo.upgrade-instructions.com/

Use the standard free MFSTools. You can either replace the existing drive, or add a second drive. In both cases you can chose to preserve your existing recordings (which can take several hours).

Personally, I don't like two-drive Tivos .... twice as much chance of hard drive problems, and tougher to track down if something fails later on. Best to just keep your original 250GB drive in a safe place for easy replacement if something goes wrong with the upgraded drive.

4. Apr 8, 2007 #4 of 10
    Maurice

Maurice New Member

Jul 19, 1999
    Thank you all for the tips

5. AABuck

AABuck New Member

Mar 10, 2007

Advertisements

How hard is it to replace weakening Tivo hard drive with upgrade drive? Is it better to let DVRupgrade do it or can a reasonably knowledgeable person do it as well.

AB

6. HomeUser

HomeUser Active Member

Jan 12, 2003
    A2 Michigan
  7. MadGreek

MadGreek New Member

Sep 27, 2003
    Texas
    I've been wanting to upgrade my TiVos to bigger hard drives, but won't that invalidate the warranty?

8. HomeUser

HomeUser Active Member

Jan 12, 2003
    A2 Michigan
    Yes, opening the TiVo box can void the warranty.

9. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    After 90 days the warranty is parts only and if you keep the original drive you took out, if something does go that not the hard drive (not very likely) put the old HD back in and if the TiVo still does not work, TiVo will fix it for some $55 or so, you pay shipping one way. Few TiVos have non HD problems past the first 90 days.

10. MadGreek

MadGreek New Member

Sep 27, 2003
    Texas

That makes sense, thanks!