Strategies for Subbing a Premiere

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by larrs, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Jun 9, 2011 #1 of 12
    larrs

larrs Movie Fan-Addict

May 2, 2005
    DFW
    Since the pricing change, has anyone been successful in subbing a Premiere for an existing box on their account ($6.95/9.95/99 Annually, etc.)? reading the new agreement seems to leave room for that if you buy the Premiere somewhere other than retail, but I know the refurbs on Woot have been turned down as well.

With a current $99 annual or $6.95 MSD box, the break even on a lifetime unit makes it not appealing to me to buy a box and put lifetime on it.

2. Jun 9, 2011 #2 of 12
    JonHB

JonHB Member

Aug 27, 2007
    I'm interested in an answer on this as well. I'm looking to buy a Premiere off of Craigslist. I already have a lifetime Premiere XL and a $6.95/mo Tivo HD. What would the monthly on a second hand Premiere be?

3. Jun 9, 2011 #3 of 12
    lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    In the past it always been possible to sell your used Lifetime TiVo and get back your Lifetime investment, (and many times you can more than just your Lifetime cost) if you don't wait too long after a new model is introduced, At $85 (at Amazon inc S&H) or so for an new TP how much can a used TP without Lifetime Service be worth after taking out shipping and selling cost, not much if anything. Just because the past has been good to for Lifetime TiVos does not mean that for sure the future will be just as good, but i think its still a good investment even if you can get the old $6.95/month rate as your still losing $84/year.

4. Jun 9, 2011 #4 of 12
    dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I think there is no strategy for accomplishing this, at this time, unless one considers having extremely good luck a strategy.

I suspect they only way is to have possession of one of the original non subsidized units and probably be able to prove it somehow(documentation, etc), or one of the woot units purchased before the May 19 pricing announcement.

I was shot down trying to activate a unit purchased during the last woot sale, May 24, with a "Change TSN" request with my (non promotional) $6.95 MSD rate for an S2D2. The rep was steadfast, that any Premiere sold after May 19 would only get the newly announced rates.

He was all to gracious to quickly but kindly offer to cancel the $6.95 plan for the S2 if I did not want to keep it, and start a new one for the Premiere at the new rate($14.95). Of course I declined. Will probably be looking for someone who wants to exchange a Premiere for A Tivo HD, or just aquire one.

My guess it is just blind luck if someone is able to "change TSN" with a Premiere onto an older msd subcription.

Maybe(surely?) there will be future opportunities for activating a Premiere for less than these rates(bigger discount on Lifetime). Not that I'm banking on that being soon though.

So, I guess waiting could be considered a "strategy".

5. TheWGP

TheWGP Hmmm...

Oct 26, 2007
    Eh, I think you've hit the nail on the head when it comes to Tivo CSR's - if you can't get what you want from one, but you know it's possible technically in their system, call back until you get what you want. Question is, when does it become no longer worth your time to call back and wait on the phone and so on? It sounds like you only called once - I'd try at least a handful of times since you really have an incentive to do so in the form of that S2.

6. larrs

larrs Movie Fan-Addict

May 2, 2005
    DFW
    Actually, that is very hard to do now. Every CSR can see the notes of your last call with the other CSR. Most will be afraid to override something you have already been told- even if they can.

I also think the best bet is to get a Premiere from the batch prior to the $99 Promo- but hard to do.

7. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    At this point I don't think TiVo cares what batch of TPs you have or if the unit is new or used, pricing is the same for all. I have a Amazon TP that I purchased for parts only at about $50, I just tried to active the TP and I could get lifetime for $399, or pay $14.99/month, this is on the TiVo web sight, no CSR involved.

8. TheWGP

TheWGP Hmmm...

Oct 26, 2007
    It's been awhile since I really had to push hard for something (more than a couple of calls), but I've had success making sure they'll do what I want before giving them the information about the unit to do it to, or giving them a chance to read all notes. Really boils down to luck, though. You're going to get a lot of CSR's who are essentially power-tripping on misinformation, but some who will be nice and helpful and see what they can do for you. Even with notes, it's always going to just be a crapshoot what CSR you get. It's like with any other large corporation... only Tivo CSR's vary more than most in my experience!

And yeah, I think the whole idea is they want to enforce the 19.99/14.95/499/399 pricing for all Premeires, regardless of where they came from. Getting around that is going to be difficult and depends in part how dedicated / creative / immoral you're willing to be, depending on your perspective.

Personally I love the fact that pricing is more standardized - but really dislike the fact that the used market is absolutely slaughtered now. Goodness knows I'll never use anything but lifetime... at least that's how it looks until their NEXT pricing switch-up! :D

9. larrs

larrs Movie Fan-Addict

May 2, 2005
    DFW
    Hate to resurrect a thread, but wondering if buying a used Premiere will allow it to be subbed out for a current THD yet. Or, what is happening if a THD fails and you want it replaced by Tivo- do they still force you to $14.95?

I am still in the waiting "strategy" if need be, because I know that ultimately Tivo needs everyone moved to the Premiere. At that time I am sure there will be some additional incentives.

10. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    No one has reported anything less than the $14.95 MSD price. However now that they have the $9.99/mo OTA only deal who knows. If you have a used Premiere all you can do is give it a try and see if you can sub it into a lower priced plan.

I wouldn't assume that TiVo is going to do anything much more than what they have done to get people to move to a Premiere. Heck before long the Premiere maybe replaced who knows.

Thanks,

11. Balzer

Balzer Active Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Sioux Falls, SD
    My TivoHD with the $6.95 monthly subscription died a few weeks ago, so I decided to just upgrade to a Premiere. I purchased the Tivo at Best Buy for $99. Even though evidence suggested it wouldn't be possible, I wanted to try transferring that $6.95 sub to the Premiere. It wouldn't let me do it online, so I called Tivo directly. I was surprised that he just said ok, clicked a few things and said it was done, no questions asked. I was all prepared to say I've been using Tivos since 2001 and turned a bunch of other people onto them, but didn't need to go into all that. He didn't even mention having to keep the subscription for a year or anything. Maybe it had something to do with the fact that I am OTA only (we cut the cord about a month ago), but I don't know. So I was happy.

12. larrs

larrs Movie Fan-Addict

May 2, 2005
    DFW
    Wow, that is good to know. Wish I knew his name and extension.