Stranger Things Season 3 **spoilers**

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by cheesesteak, Jul 5, 2019.

1. Jul 5, 2019 #1 of 76
    cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I've only watched this season's first episode so far. Man, I don't remember anything that happened last season and don't recognize half the cast either. Lucas and Dustin were the only two I recognized right off the bat. I never really could tell Mike and Will apart. Eleven looks different with hair and another year or two older.

2. Jul 5, 2019 #2 of 76
    Hercules67

Hercules67 TiVo addict

Dec 8, 2007
    I finished it last night.

I'll post a couple more comments later.

3. Jul 5, 2019 #3 of 76
    zalusky

zalusky Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    I started watching the first couple of minutes and I don't know why but all the CGI just tuned me off and I turned it off.

4. Jul 5, 2019 #4 of 76
    dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    I'd pay to see Erica's face sucked off by the Mind Flayer. If not that, at least her tongue so I don't have to listen to her mouth off ever again.

Odds Bodkins and Martha like this.
  5. Jul 5, 2019 #5 of 76
    Martha

Martha Member

Oct 6, 2002
    South Carolina
    I rewatched season 2 last week & I'm glad I did...I had forgotten a lot, especially about Billy & Max.

And I totally agree about Erica. I could not stand that character.

6. Jul 5, 2019 #6 of 76
    cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Insert standard lament about omnibus season threads in the binge era. I do understand why we do them, but bingeing and the corresponding binge threads have really killed a lot of fun discussion. Especially for shows like this one, where I think every episode will have stuff to comment on and debate. Guess I'll pop in here as I watch and post comments to date without actually reading anything until I've watched it all.

I'm through episode two currently. Really enjoying the start to this season. I think the show has wisely leaned into the episodes being about summertime adolescence in the 80's and spent relatively little time on the "stranger things" of it all (especially in episode one). The main reason the show works so well is that it is exceedingly well-cast, and I've enjoyed the hangout vibe with this appealing bunch so far. I'm especially liking Sadie Sink, who is a great holdover from last season, and I thought her trip to the mall with El ("I dump your ass!") was great fun. But Poor Will just wants to play D&D.

Hopper has turned into kind of a d-bag. David Harbour is in on the joke, and he and is mustache are playing it to the hilt.

The one problem with the slow-burn nature of the start is that the crew knows too much not to have their antennae up already. Joyce is seeing weirdness with magnetism, Will is getting the feels, Nancy is finding strange animal behavior, Dustin is hearing Russians... They all know the poop that's gone down in Hawkins, and twice at that; wouldn't they be raising alarms to each other about these new unusual phenomena?

Not sure how I feel yet about Billy being the agent of evil thus far. On the other hand, better him than one of the main characters (much less Will again). Never thought the show found a reason for him last season but at least they've done so this time, apparently.

Robin likes this.
  7. Jul 5, 2019 #7 of 76
    cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    I've watched episode three.

Now we're talking. Everyone's good and aware something bad is up. Presumably the Russians are trying to open the gate (we saw as much in the first episode) for whatever reason, and have decided they need to do it in Hawkins? I'm guessing the stuff coming in from the truck are parts or something, and the entire mall is a front. We saw in the second episode that the mayor was responsible for getting the mall built. Ebert's Law of Economy of Characters, plus the fact that the mayor is played by a big name in Cary Elwes, tells us the mayor is going to figure prominently in what goes down the rest of the way.

I got a minor thrill out of Nancy and Jonathan, hearing strange noises in the old lady's basement, grabbing for weapons like old times.

Still not really digging what's going on with Billy. Also the dinner party scene was kind of a narrative cheat, since if the two of them are possessed or whatever, they could have just taken out mom and dad without the pretense. So that was really staged more for us as viewers and also as a plot device to keep Max and Eleven off the trail for a bit longer.

Hopper got whupped. How can you make Joyce feel safe in Hawkins that way, buddy?

By the way, really enjoying the new character of Robin. That's Ethan Hawke and Uma Thurman's daughter! She's fun. The triad of her and Steve and Dustin are good company.

Guessing everyone starts to compare notes in episode four.

Robin likes this.
  8. Jul 6, 2019 #8 of 76
    wprager

wprager Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Ottawa, Canada
    Moving on to E5. Hopper looks like Magnum PI after a few weeks at an all-you-can-eat buffet.

Steveknj, DevdogAZ and purwater like this.
  9. Jul 6, 2019 #9 of 76
    Odds Bodkins

Odds Bodkins Doug's Dad

Jun 7, 2006
    Didn't think it could be worse than last season but here we are. Thanks for a terrific season 1 ST!

10. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Episode four thoughts.

OK, the kids are back together and sharing what they know. I'm trying to figure out how many days have gone by, and whether it's reasonable that Joyce/Hopper and Nancy/Jonathan have not intersected in some form to compare their notes. Strangely, the boy/girl teen dynamic was a completely believable way to keep the kids apart for as long as necessary but that's already done (which is the better choice, to be sure). As for the others, we know that "last night" Joyce spent the night at Hopper's taking care of him after he got beat up by the Russian. Odd that she wouldn't go home to her teenage son, although he wasn't there anyway -- he was at Mike's, sleeping over with Lucas. But where were Nancy and Jonathan? In the first episode, we saw them sleeping together at the Byers house, so maybe they were there for the night. They couldn't have been at her place, because then they would have run into their siblings. So... I guess it works out, assuming that we are OK with the idea that Dustin and Steve spend the entire night on the building roof, staking out the storage room. The day before that, nobody was sure of anything, so if they had intersected I suppose it's plausible they wouldn't have talked about it. (Although Joyce had her suspicions, but she wouldn't have talked to the kids, she would have gone to Hopper -- which she did that day.). Though it's kind of hard to accept that Will, having sensed the Mind Flayer twice before, wouldn't have mentioned it.

Anyway. Fun to have most of the kids back together again. I thought the action at the pool was great. I really enjoy when Eleven goes into butt-kicking mode. Mike's plan for heating the Flayer out of Billy was clever; I guess it didn't work because Billy broke the glass out of the door before the Flayer had to flee. A quibble: I guess Billy gets some extra strength from the Flayer, but being thrown clear through a brick wall surely would have broken some of his still-human bones (probably most of them). Hard to see how he could just run off after that.

I think Erica is the first real casting mistake the show has made among the kids. Don't like the character or the portrayal. She's not new, obviously, but this is the most she's had to do in the series and it isn't working for me. Unfortunately she's along for the ride now so we'll get more of her.

I feel kind of stupid for apparently not guessing that the Russian lab we saw back at the start of episode one actually is probably underneath the mail in Hawkins and not actually in Russia. It's a little hard to buy it being, from the looks of the elevator shaft, 10-20 stories below ground, though. Construction like that would have been noticed. (It's the same gripe I have with Bond villains having volcano lairs and such. Who is building those and not talking about it?)

This small-town mayor sure has a large house. As does the editor-in-chief of this small-town newspaper.

11. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    It is interesting to come on here after binging it so see all the haters - if ya all hate it so much -
    1) why watch?
    2) why come on here to hate on it?

I loved it.
    I watched the season 1 and season 2 recaps first so didn't feel lost.

I liked how they separated the cast into smaller groups with separate adventures and different tracks all leading to that group meet up in the mall. I kinda wish they had remained together but get they had to separate them again.

The evil Russian trope was a bit - oh look evil Russians. But I guess that made sense for the time period - like when one of the kids said something about seeing Red Dawn...
    (We ever going to get TV without evil Russians and evil middle-eastern terrorists?)

Unlike some of you - I thought Erica was the BEST.
    Brilliant casting, brilliant actor, great addition to the cast. LOVED her.
    ST's has great casting directors, I also liked the new girl in the ice cream shop.

I enjoyed this more than I did Season 2 - and look forward to Season 4.
    What the heck are they gonna do when these kids are in college?

Poor Billy.

Robin, Steveknj, Family and 1 other person like this.
  12. zalusky

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    People also say this about Walking Dead as well.

Because it had an impact on people. They invested time and it made them mad or disappointed that something enjoyed went off the rails. Why come on here to compliment something. People are sharing their feelings. Do you go to Yelp just to see the good stuff only. You want to know it all.

13. wprager

wprager Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Ottawa, Canada
    S1 was new and different. I'm not getting the same feelings now but it's still fun. Uma and Ethan's daughter has a future in the business. Man she looks so much like her dad.

14. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Once I knew that (I read it fairly early on in watching the season), it was impossible not to see it!

As for Erica, when she was just a customer at the ice cream shop she was annoying as hell and I wished she'd just choose another mall. But once she came into the actual story, she just got better and better. The scene where Dustin accuses her of being a nerd, and her growing horror that he might be right, was priceless!

Marvel Comics has a comic called Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur, and the Erica actor would be absolutely PERFECT for Moon Girl (who is basically the smartest person on Earth, stuck in a Brooklyn public school, who has a Jack Kirby-created dinosaur as a sidekick). In fact, Erica looked and (once she went into the vent) dressed so much like Moon Girl it was a bit distracting.

Robin likes this.
  15. jcondon

jcondon Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2003
    You gave it a couple of mins and turned it off because of the CGI. Doesn't seem like you really gave it much of a chance IMO. If you made it through the first episode (a whole 50 mins or so) and didn't like it fine. But watching a few mins and posting "Hated the CGI I am out" seems almost like a thread crap.

I seldom bother with the TV show threads here because too many people like to be "cool" and crap on things. Which is certainly their right. It just seems petty or whatever. I have given up on shows after x seasons when I no longer find enjoyment in watching the show. I just can't wrap my head around watching a series year in and year out when I no longer like it. The whole I am invested in just doesn't compute.

If it REALLY had an impact on you (the first two seasons) I would think you would give it more then a few mins. But that is just me I guess.

Criticism is fine. But at least it should be based on something or be somewhat constructive.

I hated it it sucked. Deleted season pass or whatever isn't constructive criticism.

Robin, jeetkunedo and Family like this.
  16. jcondon

jcondon Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2003
    We watched 4 episodes yesterday and the last 4 today. We enjoyed. We were annoyed at times with the near total darkness of some the scenes were annoying. Perhaps the settings on my TV weren't optimal. We ended up turning all the lights off for the last 3 episodes.

Erica is annoying but grew on me after a bit. I find Dustin annoying at times too when he keeps yelling into the mic over and over again. Same type of grating on your nerves type of thing.

Sucks that Hop bit it. Didn't care for Billy so wasn't too upset to see him go. Felt bad for his half sister though.

17. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Oops--I think I had totally forgotten about the series and missed the second season. :confused:

edit: Remedied--just ordered it from my local public library. :cool:

18. Martha

Martha Member

Oct 6, 2002
    South Carolina
    Overall, I thought it was a great season & really enjoyed it.

One thing that struck me as funny (having just watched Chernobyl) was how shiny & clean the Russian tunnels were. Chernobyl happened the year after this season took place. I wonder if there's a connection? :)

19. zalusky

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    Yes I did watch the first two seasons so I know the show. Given all the competition I just did not feel the opening and moved to some other stuff. It doesn't mean I won't give it a shot later especially if I hear something that interests me to come back. I just have a pet peeve of people who want to hear only sugar coated positive stuff.

20. Odds Bodkins

Odds Bodkins Doug's Dad

Jun 7, 2006
    Did he though? That post-credits scene leaves the door plenty open for him to come back. I hope he stays dead as it would cheapen the speech at the end which was the best stuff in all of S03.