Stranger Things (full season spoilers)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Rob Helmerichs, Jul 17, 2016.

1. Jul 17, 2016 #1 of 125
    Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis

Advertisements

OK, so Hopper is now working for the Men in Black, Eleven is apparently trapped on the other side, and Will is either not Will, or (more likely) not entirely Will, or (less likely) not on our side any more.

Interesting that Nancy ended up with Steve rather than Jonathan.

I liked that people communicated with each other when there was opportunity, but there wasn't always opportunity. E.g., if Hopper and the kids had compared notes, things could have progressed a lot faster, but why would they? But I can't recall any annoying moments when people who SHOULD have shared information didn't, because the story required it.

On the (very slightly) down side, people were often awfully quick to conveniently jump to the right conclusions based on very flimsy evidence.

The kids were all very good! Given how hard it seems to be to find decent kid actors, they did an amazing casting job. And all the relationships were very well written and played. It was a very human horror story.

2. Jul 17, 2016 #2 of 125
    Odds Bodkins

Odds Bodkins Doug's Dad

Jun 7, 2006
    Anything parallel universe, Men In Black, remote viewing and you've got me immediately. Winona Rider was probably the weakest link in a cast of stalwarts but I'm biased because I don't really care for her much anyway.

The kids were all terrific!

Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
  3. Jul 17, 2016 #3 of 125
    TIVO_GUY_HERE

TIVO_GUY_HERE I miss the ocean

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    I watched 7 episodes up until 3AM last night. Didn't want to see the last episode with chance of falling asleep. Glad I waited. I will have to re-watch this again maybe just before season 2 starts ( I assume and probably correct there will be a season 2 with all the good reviews).
    I thought it was great.
    I was going to pass on it. Oh great, another series where someone goes missing... blah blah blah... It's been played to death, and I haven't gone more than 2 episodes on any of those other series.

The "ET" vibe was very strong, and added to my enjoyment.

Hopefully they can upgrade the underworld next season, those scenes were hard to watch, too dark, I know I was looking at something, but I couldn't tell what it was.
    probably my TV.

4. Jul 17, 2016 #4 of 125
    Hcour

Hcour Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2007
    Finished it yesterday. I thought it started ok, then got good, then really good. The last few eps, especially, were a hoot. I really came to care about those kids.

5. Jul 18, 2016 #5 of 125
    dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...

Advertisements

As I said in the other thread:

8 awesome episodes, a brilliant story, some nice ways that characters grew, and a pretty neat segue to a second season.

6. Jul 18, 2016 #6 of 125
    cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I really enjoyed it. The adult actors got the top billings but the kids were the true stars. They actually seemed like real life friends.

Nancy and Jonathan trying to kill the wall monster on their own was pretty stupid.

I'm really hoping Eleven is an integral part of season 2.

Did we ever see the kid with the missing front teeth's parents?

Hopper should have been a boxer. He knocked a lot of guys out with one punch.

7. Jul 18, 2016 #7 of 125
    SWFan

SWFan Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2002
    Kansas...
    I binge watched this Saturday night until about 2am. That wasn't the intention, but once I watched the first two episodes I couldn't stop.

8. Jul 18, 2016 #8 of 125
    getreal

getreal postcrastinator

Sep 29, 2003
    Earth
    I don't think we ever saw the toothless kid's or the black kid's parents.

I really could not see how the doomed diner who fed Eleven could tell that she was a girl.

9. Jul 18, 2016 #9 of 125
    cheesesteak

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I can't remember the episode but I'm pretty sure we briefly saw Lucas' parents. Maybe it was at the funeral?

10. Jul 18, 2016 #10 of 125
    Queue

Queue UnbowdUnbentUnbrokn

Apr 6, 2009
    I loved this series. I started it Friday night and finished it last night.

Certain elements reminded me of certain movies from the 80s. Not necessarily because of plot or dialog, but just the same feeling.

It reminded me at different times of Goonies, Explorers, Flight of the Navigator, Silver Bullet, and maybe some other ones I'm not recalling right now.

It also felt like an 80s movie. Not a 2010s movie set in the 80s. I didn't expect anyone to die in the end because that's not how 80s movie operated. I did expect something to happen that would precipitate something bad, in this case Will coughing up a worm thing. That reminded me of the end of Christine where the car starts fixing itself, and the end of an alien invasion movie where the kid wakes up and it was a dream, but then he sees an alien spaceship land and the movie ends...

I just enjoyed the entire nostalgia of watching a film like the 80s set in the 80s.

11. Jul 18, 2016 #11 of 125
    NatasNJ

NatasNJ Bone marrow lover!

Jan 7, 2002
    Philly
    We knocked out this weekend as well. Liked that it felt like a typical kids movie but with very DARK elements. Liked the 80's vibe in characters, scenes, etc...

Agree Winonna was the worst part of the show. I felt everyone else except maybe Matthew Modine did well.

I also agree I am most interested in 11 going forward.

12. Jul 18, 2016 #12 of 125
    Hcour

Hcour Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2007
    In defense of Ryder, the writers really didn't give her much of a character to play except "the distraught mom". The other characterizations had more breadth and depth. Given the narrow way it was written I'm surprised she even took the role, but I suppose over-40 actresses in Hollywood, even very good ones such as Ryder, pretty much have to take what they can get.

13. Jul 19, 2016 #13 of 125
    whitson77

whitson77 Active Member

Nov 10, 2002
    This series was incredible. We just wish we had something similarly good to move onto. The young kids all seemed perfectly cast. A lot of questions at the end but at least the main arc wrapped up nicely.

Modine did seem totally wasted. The sheriff was hilarious.

14. Jul 23, 2016 #14 of 125
    Family

Family Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2001
    I liked Mr Wheeler.
    Nobody seemed broken up about Barb.
    The show knew exactly what it wanted to be and executed it perfectly on every level.
    Nicely done!

15. Jul 24, 2016 #15 of 125
    cheesesteak

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I've started rewatching and have found that this very enjoyable series is even better if I ffwd through all the Nancy scenes with her D-bag McPompadour boyfriend.

16. Jul 24, 2016 #16 of 125
    madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    Finished it off last night with the last two episodes. We really liked it. There was only one episode where I was annoyed with people doing stupid things (when Nancy went through the trunk into the upside-down, without waiting for Jonathan who was just a few yards away, and there was something else that episode as well but I can't remember it now). Luckily they pulled that back quickly and it didn't end up being a major plot point: I hate shows where the entire plot is driven by people being stupid.

I thought Nancy and Jonathan's plan was excellent, especially considering Hop's "plan" as the alternative.

I actually wasn't surprised to see Nancy end up with Steve; they kind of telegraphed that when she left Will's hospital room (rather than staying with Jonathan).

Although it felt like a real 80's movie (in a good way), the body count was a little high I thought; the basically innocent army fodder getting their brains exploded etc.

17. Jul 24, 2016 #17 of 125
    whitson77

whitson77 Active Member

Nov 10, 2002
    I was glad to read a second season was already announced.

18. Jul 24, 2016 #18 of 125
    Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    Not reading the comments yet cos I am only up to episode 4 - but I am LOVING this show!!! X-Files throwback that I think might be doing it better than the X-Files. Nice to see Winona in something good again. And of course GREAT music to accompany the whole thing...:up::up::up:

19. Jul 24, 2016 #19 of 125
    Queue

Queue UnbowdUnbentUnbrokn

Apr 6, 2009

I can't find info on that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Jul 24, 2016 #20 of 125
    robojerk

robojerk Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    The actor that played Dr. Brenner, or "poppa", said something about a second season is definitely coming. Not sure how reliable his info is. I also read that the creators, the Duffer Brothers said they would do a second season if show was well received. Nothing really official either way.