Strange video problem - one TiVo fine, the other one not!

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by tjfields, Dec 27, 2005.

1. tjfields

tjfields New Member

Dec 27, 2005

Advertisements

I'm running into a strange problem and was wondering if anyone else had run across this, or had any troubleshooting suggestions.

I have a video file that I've converted to an appropriate MPG format using Videora (4 MBps, 720x480) and have uploaded to both of my TiVos. They show up in my Now Playing lists just fine. So far so good.

Here's the weird thing - the video plays flawlessly on my PC, one of my TiVos, but has enough "skips" and "stutters" on the other TiVo to render it unwatchable. Stranger still, it is my OLDER TiVo that plays it flawlessly, and my brand-spanking-new TiVo which has a problem with it. Some addtional information:

Older TiVo (that plays it fine): 40 hour TiVo branded Series 2 model, purchased about 2-3 years ago.
    Newer TiVo (that chokes on it): 40 hour Tivo branded Series 2 model, purchased about 3 weeks ago.
    Both TiVos are 7.2+ version

Videora settings: 4 Mbps, 720x480, 4:3, 192kbps.

I have actually tried both higher and lower bitrates for the Videora conversion, with the same results: the older TiVo will play all of them flawlessly, and the newer TiVo blows chunks on them all. Very strange to me, since these are the SAME FILE.

I don't even know where to start troubleshooting. I am more than willing to provide any additional info to assist in solving the problem.

Any help the board could provide would be much appreciated.

T.J.

2. rudolph518

rudolph518 New Member

Jan 2, 2006
    My 3 year old Tivo works great with Videora - my new HUMAX DVD/TIVO won't work worth crap. Audio is fine, but video is all garbled. It's completely unusable.

I even tried streaming from the file from the Tivo that is working properly. Anyone got a suggestion?

3. HDTiVo

HDTiVo Not so Senior Member

Nov 27, 2002
    The first place I look on something like this is the audio format.

Remember that the DVD and non-DVD TiVoes claim to accept different audio formats, so if you are going from one to the other the file might not play on one.

This is not actually true in that my non-DVD Tivoes will often play ac3 audio - even 5.1

But when you have trouble you have to transcode the audio.

BTW 192kbps is good; 48KHz is also correct, so check that.