Strange signal loss

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by bearbig, Dec 28, 2017.

1. bearbig

bearbig Member

Jan 25, 2007
    I have THR 22 and last night I noticed that on the recording channel there was no signal. I hit the button for the other tuner and has a signal.
    Went to the settings and checked the signal and most of the multiple boxes were reading 0, with just a few reading 95-100. Re started the DVR to no avail. I have 2 receivers and both have no signal so I doubt it's receiver related.
    It is brutal cold up here hanging around zero F, could this be it. I have an old 18" round dish and years ago the LNB would loose the signal when it was very hot ( got signal back by spraying it with a hose).
    If I need a new dish, will the newer ones work for me? I can only see the satellite for SD signals.

Thanks
    Bear

2. bearbig

bearbig Member

Jan 25, 2007
    Anyone on this forum that is around NW Vermont? I look at satellite 101 and have intermittent signal loss. As an example, last nite everything was fine. This am one tuner was getting ~97% signal, while the other was zero. A few hours later both have 100%!
    Scheduled a tech visit for monday, and yesterday pm got a call from DTV saying that "weather related" issue caused signal loss, and would I like to cancel? It's been hovering around zero F here for the last few days.
    Any one in my area having this issue? Don't know what to do. Just got a new LNB, but don't know if I should install it.

3. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    i'd say trying the new lnb is at least worth a shot, an easy fix if it's causing the issue. is your cabling shielded from the weather?

4. bearbig

bearbig Member

Jan 25, 2007
    Not really. The cabling has been out there for 13+ years with no problems until a few days ago. Dish etc is on the NE side of the house, cables run down to the basement on the outside. At first I thought it was a temp issue as signal returned when the sun was on the dish, and lost when the sun set. This morning it has been cloudy until a couple of hours ago.

5. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    I am in southern New Hampshire, and cold doesn't affect my installation. 13-year-old cables and connectors could corrode and separate in brutal weather. I would keep the appointment.

NorthAlabama likes this.
  6. bearbig

bearbig Member

Jan 25, 2007
    I'm a little cheesed off with DTV. Had a tech visit yesterday after telling the mother ship my setup ( old). They told me the tech would have everything needed to address my issue. They had none! If I hadn't had a new LNB I would have the same problem. At least they installed the new LNB in -20F windchill, saving an old man doing it.
    Said the only way they could help me was for me to cut at least 3 trees, and have a nwe dish installed on my roof! The roof thing is a non starter, so I guess when my old setup can no longer be supported I'll say good bye to DTV after 14+ years.

7. bearbig

bearbig Member

Jan 25, 2007
    About the statement on keeping my old stuff running I'm planning to stock up on 18" dish stuff. I know I can still get LNB's from Amazon and a new dish as well. The tech mentioned that dishes only lasting for 100 years, why? Should I get a new dish to have on hand?

Thanks
    Bear

8. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    I can't imagine the dish itself dying, but the LNB, sure.

9. bearbig

bearbig Member

Jan 25, 2007
    They said something about a covering wearing off. Don't know what that would be. The steel is reflective,correct?