Strange Problem

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by toocan, Jul 5, 2005.

If this is happening to you, do you use a ups?

1. yes

38.3%
  2. no

61.7%
  1. Jul 5, 2005 #1 of 99
    toocan

toocan New Member

Feb 26, 2003
    I hope you all can help, you've been great to me in the past. :)

Here is my issue (I searched and could not find a similar post):

I have an older Tivo that I upgrades when the HD died about a year ago. It now has 120gb. It is a series 2 and it is connected to a wireless network and on a UPS.

So, I have not had any signs of HD failure (no studdering, freezing etc) and everything was working great until last night.

I get home from a 4th party and go to turn on some TV, and Tivo won't respond to the remote. Not only that, but all the LED lights are on. I tried to power cycle and it does nothing, just sits there with all the LED lights on.

As you can imagine, it's very fustrating and I'm not sure what to do...

Any thoughts?

2. Jul 5, 2005 #2 of 99
    tiellv

tiellv Pluviophile

Nov 11, 2002
    Oregon
    This is very strange and certainly doesn't seem like it could be coincidental that several people are posting about this. The same thing happened to me. I left my computer on night before last transferring 3 shows to TiVo Desktop from my 2.5 year old Series 2 and when I got up yesterday morning my TiVo was unresponsive with the lights on. I tried uplugging three times and still no response. I looked around here for similar problems and it seems it may be the power supply.
    I don't read the Help Center very often so I don't know if this is a common problem.

3. Jul 5, 2005 #3 of 99
    toocan

toocan New Member

Feb 26, 2003
    I emailed weaknees (thoes guys are great btw) and they suspect a powersupply issue.

However, this strikes me as odd

- I use a UPS, shouldn't that protect me from surges/power failures etc?
    - Why would this happen to a bunch of people at once??? I just noticed a few more threads similar to mine... ok, sorry one other post.

4. Jul 5, 2005 #4 of 99
    Alcatraz

Alcatraz Occasionally Helpful

Nov 22, 2000
    Is it possible that you have another IR source causing issues? I've heard of situations where people found a remote stuck in a couch cushion was causing interference, or a wireless game controller was the problem.

If you can't find a jammed remote, take a book and block the IR sensor and restart the box. If it comes up normally, move the book and see if the receiving LED lights up. That'll tell you if something else is interfering.

5. Jul 5, 2005 #5 of 99
    toocan

toocan New Member

Feb 26, 2003
    Thanks, I'll try that before I drop 50 bucks on a new power supply. So, if your theory is correct, then IR interfenence will keep the Tivo from even rebooting? Well, I'll post again tonight once I try that out.

6. Jul 5, 2005 #6 of 99
    toocan

toocan New Member

Feb 26, 2003
    Well, no such luck. Covering the IR reciever had no effect. I even had the Tivo unplugged all day and that did not help.

Guess I'm opening the thing up to check for loose wires. Any idea what to look for?

Thanks!

7. Jul 5, 2005 #7 of 99
    toocan

toocan New Member

Feb 26, 2003
    Another question. If I buy a new powers supply, is ther ea chance the bad power supply already fried my motherboard???

8. Jul 5, 2005 #8 of 99
    litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    There's always that possibility. But a recent post from Weaknees states that they've had good luck by simply replacing the power supply.

9. Jul 6, 2005 #9 of 99
    ddonohue

ddonohue Member

Dec 7, 2003
    Eastern PA
    Too many people, including me, are having the exact same problem at the same time for this to be a stray IR problem. I have 2 series 2's, one with this problem for the past few days and one working fine. However, the one working fine has been off the network for about a week and has not received updates. Now I'm afraid to reconnect it!

10. toocan

toocan New Member

Feb 26, 2003
    Well, if I'm having the problem, that's too many for me!!! :)

I would love to hear if more people are having it - or have had it in the past. So far, I have seen 4... are there more?

11. ddonohue

ddonohue Member

Dec 7, 2003
    Eastern PA
    I have had the stuck LED problem, but the main problem is that any key I hit on the remote is executed for infinity. For example, if I go to the main menu and hit the down button once, the yellow LED comes on (indicating received IR signals), stays on, and the cursor goes down down down down down until the bottom of the menu. Even then, the yellow LED stays on. If I hit another key, like select, I can make it go off. But if I then hit up, it does the same thing in reverse until ig gets to the top of the menu. Same behavior on Now Playing, everywhere else. Basically, TiVo is unusable because I can't reliably choose a menu option unless it's the first or last option on the menu. At other places, such as trying to press clear to delete a program (because I can't make the cursor stop on "delete this now"), TiVo doesn't respond at all until I press the button about a dozen times. Restarting has not fixed the problem, and I've tried two remotes, so it's definitely the box itself.

12. jmace57

jmace57 Large Member

Nov 30, 2002
    San Marcos, TX
    A major problem is when it happens to me...it's a minor problem when it happens to you!
    ;)
    Jim

13. toocan

toocan New Member

Feb 26, 2003
    That does seem to be a problem. However, I don't think it is the same problem. Certainly not exactly the same. My Tivo won't even start up, and ALL the LED lights are on, not just the yellow one.

14. toocan

toocan New Member

Feb 26, 2003
    I added a poll to see if this might be related to external power fluctuations

15. toocan

toocan New Member

Feb 26, 2003
    Do a search for 140060 and you get lots of these complaints.

16. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    This just happened to one of my old 60 hours units as well. I got a new power supply from Weaknees (thanks guys), swapped it out, and I was back up and running again. The whole process only took about 15 minutes.

It is very odd that so many people with 140060 units are having this problem right now. I wonder if maybe the new software is not controlling the fan properly and causing the power supply to overheat?

Dan

17. tiellv

tiellv Pluviophile

Nov 11, 2002
    Oregon
    Thanks for voiceing that Dan. I'm glad that I'm not the only one who thinks this might be the cause. It was my 60 hour 140060 unit also that has this problem. I don't think I've seen any complaints with any other model besides this one.
    And my new power supply is arriving today from WeaKnees.

18. toocan

toocan New Member

Feb 26, 2003
    Yes, thanks Dan - can you let us know if you use a UPS? That would help us rule out a power spike in your case. It would seem odd that only 60 hour Tivo's are having power spike issues.

So, if the fan is the issue will my new power supply (on it's way!) be at risk once it starts running??? :confused:

tiellv, be sure to come back after your new power supply is installed and let us know how it works for you. :cool:

19. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    This particular TiVo was not connected to a UPS. However it has a newer 540 unit plugged into the same surge suppressor and it still works fine. So I doubt it was a power problem.

If this is a software issue, then that is a possibility. :(

Dan

20. toocan

toocan New Member

Feb 26, 2003
    very fustrating.

:rolleyes: