Strange missing channel prob with FIOS + Cablecard + Tivo HD

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by dmunsil, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Dec 1, 2008 #1 of 16
    dmunsil

dmunsil New Member

Mar 30, 2000
    Kirkland,...

Advertisements

I have a Tivo HD, and just had FIOS TV (and internet and phone) installed. Everything seems to work fine, except that some of the Extreme HD channels don't work. If you tune to them, you get a black screen and no audio, but no message saying "Channel not available; contact your cable provider" or whatever.

Tivo tech support went through the Cablecard diagnostics and found that on the channels that are black, the cards are reporting "NOT_SUBSCRIBED" under the Conditional Access section. If I tune to a channel I get, the status changes to "SUBSCRIBED."

The odd thing is, it's a subset of the Extreme HD tier that is missing. For example, I get Disney HD, but not Bravo HD. All of the premium channels (HBO, Starz, Showtime) are working fine. I am subscribed to Extreme HD, and tech support has verified that it's showing as subscribed in their system.

Both cards have exactly the same set of channels working and non-working. Tech support has re-hit the cards multiple times, and reloaded them, and deactivated and reactivated them.

I don't have (as far as I can tell) the pixelization problems that others have reported on Tivos - on the channels I get, the picture is stellar. I don't have any uncorrected errors on the channels I'm not getting (or the ones I'm getting). For the heck of it, I put a 10db attentuator inline on the cable, but it didn't appear to affect anything.

Any thoughts?

Don

2. Dec 1, 2008 #2 of 16
    bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    Remove and reinsert each card. Then reboot the TiVo.

3. Dec 1, 2008 #3 of 16
    dmunsil

dmunsil New Member

Mar 30, 2000
    Kirkland,...
    OK, I did that, and there's no change. Same channels are working, same channels not working.

The fact that both cards have the same set of channels showing SUBSCRIBED vs NOT_SUBSCRIBED makes me think this is a head-end problem. But no one seems to know how to debug this at a low level and figure out why these channels are showing up unsubscribed.

4. Dec 1, 2008 #4 of 16
    sinanju

sinanju Active Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Are you sure they have you on the Extreme HD package? I ordered it and ended up with the pre-alignment HD package, so I ended up with only part of what I was expecting from the Extreme package. FiOS tech support was even happy to dick around with the CableCARDs for a while and was about to roll a truck when I suggested they look at my account. As soon as they applied the correct package, everything worked.

5. Dec 1, 2008 #5 of 16
    dmunsil

dmunsil New Member

Mar 30, 2000
    Kirkland,...

Advertisements

I'm as sure as I can be without looking at the configuration screen myself. All of the tech support folks have said I'm signed up for Extreme HD. My online Verizon account settings shows that I have the Extreme HD package. One of the tech support folks even transferred me to billing support, and they verifieid that I have that package set up.

I wonder if I asked them to deactivate Extreme HD, then reactivate it, if that would help? Maybe they save the specific set of channels associated with each account, and the wrong set was set up when the account was first activated?

I'm grasping at straws here, but I don't know what else to do.

6. Dec 1, 2008 #6 of 16
    sinanju

sinanju Active Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Deleting it and readding it might do it... as might removing the cards from the account and readding them.

When I first had things installed someone had to hack my account to get the channels to work, not realizing the wrong package had been ordered. A day or two later, the pre-realignment package was applied by a computer and I watched the channels disappear. All I can say for sure is that the channel subset/NOT_SUBSCRIBED issue was exactly the symptom I saw.

Your mileage may vary. Void where prohibited. Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

7. Dec 1, 2008 #7 of 16
    bivrak

bivrak New Member

Mar 19, 2008
    I'm on hold with FIOS right now to make sure I have the Extreme package.

Can someone please tell me how to tell "subscribed" versus "not subscribed" on that conditional access section? How do you navigate to it, what exactly does it say to indicate "subscribed" or "not subscribed", etc?

Thanks

8. Dec 1, 2008 #8 of 16
    dmunsil

dmunsil New Member

Mar 30, 2000
    Kirkland,...
    1. Tune to a channel you're not getting (black screen)
    2. Go to TivoCentral->Messages & Settings->Settings->Cablecard->Cablecard Decoders
    3. Pick one or the other Cablecard (or just #1 if you only have 1)
    4. Select DVR Diagnostics
    5. Scroll through the first couple of pages to find out which cablecard is tuned into your channel.
    6. Leave that diagnostics page and switch to the appropriate Cablecard (1 or 2)
    7. Select Cablecard Menu
    8. Select Conditional Access
    9. Look for a line that reads "Auth: SUBSCRIBED" or "Auth: NOT_SUBSCRIBED" or possibly "Auth: disabled"

If you're trying to view an encrypted channel, and it says NOT_SUBSCRIBED or disabled, then the screen will be black.

At least that's what's happening to me.

Don

9. Dec 1, 2008 #9 of 16
    sinanju

sinanju Active Member

Jan 3, 2005
    In the conditional access window there's a field labeled "Auth" that may have a number of states. It's going to say SUBSCRIBED when the channel to which that card is tuned is part of your package and "NOT_SUBSCRIBED" when it isn't. I don't think, short of a glitch, that those two values ever mean anything else. The only other values you might be interested in are Connected and EnabledByCP, both of which should be "yes".

There isn't much more to it than that. There's no navigating the screen... just Clear to exit.

10. bivrak

bivrak New Member

Mar 19, 2008
    Turns out I didn't have the Extreme package. They added it, and five minutes later I was good.

What's odd is that I thought I had the Extreme package because I'd been getting all those channels since they were added in my area a few weeks ago. It seems like today, my cablecards finally figured out I didn't have them. Is it possible they were giving those channels away for the first few weeks?

It's costing me only $5 more per month, and that included not only adding the Extreme HD channels, but increasing my Internet from 10/2 to 20/5.

I still have the pixellation problem on channels 628 and 639, though. I'm going to let Verizon take a stab at fixing it with their attentuators later this week, with the service appt I'd already scheduled. If that doesn't work, I'll fix it myself with the suggestions from this forum.

Good luck to everyone else, and thanks for the responses to my questions.

11. dmunsil

dmunsil New Member

Mar 30, 2000
    Kirkland,...
    I just noticed something. The channels I get are essentially the same list as in this post:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r21263024-Extreme-HD-and-Essentials-Information

Quite possibly it's exactly the same list; I didn't look carefully at the sports channels.

I'm getting the NEW channels; the ones that were added when the Extreme HD tier was created. I'm not getting any of the channels that predate Extreme HD. This is looking more and more like a head-end configuration issue.

Don

12. oViTynoT

oViTynoT Obvious Forum Lurker

May 18, 2007
    Plano, TX
    Bivrak: Verizon didn't do a good enough job explaining this, but the ExtremeHD package was free for a month to give people a chance to look at it. In the D/FW area, this was right after the Re-Alignment. 30 days after the re-align, they went dark for me; the next day, I had them set me up on One-Bill. They were supposed to do this when I subscribed, but the process hung and they never completed it.

Now, I'm saving about $130 a month. :)

13. dmunsil

dmunsil New Member

Mar 30, 2000
    Kirkland,...
    Solved.

Tech support rolled a truck, ostensibly to replace the Cablecard. But the technician who came out was savvy enough to see that it was a head-end configuration issue, and spent an hour talking to the technician service reps before someone finally realized my account was configured improperly and some channels weren't enabled.

Apparently Extreme HD isn't just one package in the internal systems - it's multiple sub-packages, and only one of the subsets was enabled on my account.

I gotta say, this was an entirely self-inflicted injury by Verizon. This should have been the first thing they checked, and indeed all the technicians looked to see if I was subscribed to Extreme HD. They just didn't check (or didn't have access to) the low-level report that shows the exact programming blocks attached to the account. I spoke to something like 5 reps over the course of this problem, and all of them should have been able to fix it, or escalate to someone who could fix it.

But it's fixed now, so all is well.

Thanks for the suggestions and help!

14. oViTynoT

oViTynoT Obvious Forum Lurker

May 18, 2007
    Plano, TX
    dmunsil: Make sure to call the Billing department and express your sincere displeasure. If you're talking to any reasonable CSR, you'll get some discounts or freebies for a time.

15. mamosley

mamosley New Member

Apr 9, 2003
    There are a few different places a rep can look to see what packages you have on your account. One place tech support cant is the billing system. What you are subscribed to has to match up all down the line in order to avoid problems. Sad thing is there is not one person you can get on the phone that has access to all the sub systems to make sure everything is straight.

16. bivrak

bivrak New Member

Mar 19, 2008
    Thanks. You'd think when I called and said "I was getting these channels but now they're black" that Verizon might have mentioned this to me!